Describe your cats purrrrr

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a search, and got no hits, so I'm hoping this isn't a double up.

I just want you to describe to me your cat's purrs.

Neko's purr is very faint, unnoticable even. The only way you know he's purring
is if you scratch him under his chin you can feel his larynx moving and to hear it, you need to put your head on his chest.
I must admit in the dead silence, of ungodly hours of the am, when he's licking my face I can slightly hear him purr, if I talk to him it gets a bit louder.

Diego on the other hand, is very loud, you can hear him across the room when he's really going for it. The only time he's not purring is when he's asleep, then again he sleeps in his own room so might purr in his sleep.
When he's having a bath he purrs, and I absolutely love it when a cat meows whilst purring, it is Sooooooo cute.

Anyhoo do tell me about your cat(s)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The second you touch Oberon, he starts purring. It's not too loud, you can hear it from a couple of feet away.

Sparkle doesn't purr much (or meow much) but she gets all limp and liquidy and cozy when she's happy.

Lily purrs when she's happy with me. But if I pet Oberon or Sparkle before her, she won't purr when I pet her or pick her up. If I leave for the day, or put Advantage on her, she won't purr for an entire day to punish me. She'll also slink down when I pet her. But normally, she purrs pretty loudly when I pick her up or pet her, and raises her tail up as I pet her and get to the end part.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reeses' pur can be almost inaudible at times. When I pet her I usually touch her throat to see if it's vibrating *lol* Other times I can hear it across the room. Especially in the morning when I feed her it's really loud, and she usually purrs in between bites. "Purr... Purr... Purr... Purr.... *swallow*... Purr... Purr".

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, let's see... Chip's is the loudest, very rumbly, suitable for a manly cat
Pixel is quieter, but still audible, as is Cable's - they're very similar. Firefox's is a buzzing sound, kinda cute. Java is like Neko - so soft i can't usually hear it unless there's nothing else going on. even the a/c will drown her out!

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One word for both of mine: loud. My boys are not subtle critters, I like to joke that if they were left "in the wild" they'd be eaten by a predator right away because they purr so loudly no one can miss them.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isadora's purr is VERY loud and you can tell by the way her chest moves that she's purring (her chest makes very sharp movements). Sometimes I'll wake up in the middle of the night while she's over cuddling (aka making out) with my husband and I can hear her purring clear on the other side of the bed.

Spot's purr is very deep and quiet. You can only tell she's purring if you're touching her, and you can only hear her if you're very close or have your ear on her.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brats all have a very low rumble... can't tell unless you touch them.

Tiger apparently swallowed a small lawnmower engine.. I can hear him purr from a mile away!

Tonka, is kinda inbetween. He purrs and chatters at the same time which is absolutely adorable to me!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Princess purrs really softly, you have to either touch her or get her close to your face to be able to hear her.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie you could hear a mile away

Zoey well is a quiet one who hardly purrs... I swear she is wild cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have also asked you, when is the strangest time(s) that they purr?
Like I said Diego purrs even when having a bath, I think thats a strange time.

Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Tiger apparently swallowed a small lawnmower engine.. I can hear him purr from a mile away!
small lawn mower
I love it.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cool thread !

C'For is the loudest by far, touch him, talk too him...even LOOK at him and off he goes, sounds like a lawn mower
The only time he does not purr is when I am not with him I think

Whiskey has a very faint purr, hardly hear it, and he needs sum patting b4 he starts up.
Wookie purrs all the time, pat him, walk past him, food time of course, again a quaint purr, not too loud.
Meisha is a real tractor
, if I even approach the door where the kitties sleep ( as they are confined yet, as too young too be in the house all the time freely, unless supervised ) Meisha starts up, loud !, I think C'For has met his match !
Meisha also constantly rubs her gums all over my face , she loves me

Shiska is a lil goer too, she has a loud purr but not like Meisha or C'For, she purrs as soon as you touch her, unless she is playing of course

Zylah purrs whenever I am around her, a very quaint purr, her meow is the most unusual though, she seems too use the WHOLE 4 letters of Meow
MMEEEOOOWWWW really cute and distinctive

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou is convinced that I am a cat, actually, and doesn't do much purring at me. She makes cat noises at me, including the What's Up Whirr.

When she does purr it sounds a whole lot like her growl, which is thankfully rare.

Kind of like gravel from far away, very deep-pitched. More diesel engine than gasoline. And very elusive. When I get a purr I usually can't hear it, just feel it.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Joshua has a really quiet purr, but when he purrs his body becomes really heavy and limp. It's cute.

Kinah's purr is a little louder.... and it's also a warning signal. It means "watch out, I'm about to drool all over you, fart in your face and/or bite you... Probably all three"

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
stoli has a low baritone purr, that sounds best when you put your ear to him.
luxor has a a really loud soprano purr that you can hear two rooms away. he also purrs while he eats.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo's purr is so quiet that you have to touch her under her chin to feel it. She purrs when she gets her sub-Q fluids.....it's our special time together.

Lola has a regular volume purr. You can hear it when she's sitting on your lap. Sometimes, each purr ends in a little squeak if she's especially content.

Maggie's purr is kind of breathy sounding....and she seems to purr out of her nose. She loves to lay on my lap and knead, purr and drool herself to sleep.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaffa purrs like a tractor and loud enough to wake the dead. He also purrs almost as soon as you just look at him. He's a big purrer. Mosi has a very soft purr that you can rarely hear. If I rest my head on his chest I can feel the vibrations but there's not much to hear. The vet heard it at his last visit when she was listening to his heart - he purred for her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to bring this thread back to life long enough to tell you about the new kittens purr

Talking about cats sounding like tractors and tiny lawn mowers,
my new kitten sounds like a little helicopter with the changing sounds as he purrs
. He is still not as loud as my Diego, when it comes to the purr-o-meter Diego certainly gets a 10.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie's purr is quiet. I have to snuggle with him to hear it. He will purr louder though when he's excited.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita has a pretty strong rumbly purr. You can't hear her from another room but it's clearly audible when you're just a few feet away from her.

She'll purr when I get back from work, when I pet her usually and also sometimes while eating.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sassy purrs only when you pet him, and then very quietly.

Linus on the other hand sounds like a buzz saw and starts as soon as he knows you are close by and the volume increases when you talk to him or touch him.