Terrible food BEWARE!

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today I was shopping at (Moderator Edited Out Store Name), a human food supermarket by highland village St paul., I NEVER buy my food at these places and this is PRIME example of why.

(Moderator Edited Out Cat Food Brand Name), garenteed to aid up to 30% life span
( NO\\ot innova evo, different brand)
There is NO MEAT!!!- all vegen- "cruelty free" No taurine! A crtical thing cats NEED to live in their food. The only thng that even closely resebles meat is cheese flavering, again all vegen.

it might even kill cats who eat it, I heard that if cats dont get meat they can go blind and die.

So sprend the word to peole who shop at supermarkets not to buy this brand.

Moderator Edited to Add: Please keep the use of store and brand names to Private Message. Thanks in advance.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I've never even heard of it. But taurine is essential! I know someone in here mentioned about vegie diets for cats. Cats were meant to eat meat - its cruel NOT to be feeding them meat.

We as human sometimes go overboard. If someone wants to be a vegetarian, that's fine with me, but don't try to make dogs and cats into what you are against eating....meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes humans are primates, chimps eat mostly vegin and they are our closest living ancestors. Dogs and cats however are completey different! in diet, they MUST have meat.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is terrible.
Meat is the most important ingredient in a cat's diet! They're carnivores. Any kind of cat food with no meat shouldn't be allowed to be sold anywhere. I feel bad for the cats that will be put on this vegan diet, they aren't going to be very healthy.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you would like the link to their website, please PM me.

when I yahoo-ed them, saw a forum where someone was compiling a list of cats getting sick after being on this diet...including lots of urinary blockages...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually they've found out that chimps eat more meat then previous thought. They will kill other monkeys and eat them along with lizards.....Gorillas are the only ones that are true vegetarians

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if I should write more on that, and am surprized you knew, yeah chimps do eat meat from time to time.

I'm thinking maybe we should create stickers that warn people about cats dietary needs and put them on the back of the cans and bags. That way when people are fooled they have a liberater, we could put up our website - www Thecatsite.com, on them

We could even by sneaky and say on the sticker Go to the catsite online at www.TheCatSite.com to learn more about how 'wonderful' this new food is,
the staff at the food store would think nothing was up and when the buyers came online, we would help them fnd a better choice.

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
me to, I mean we'd be helping innoscent cats and getting new members possiblely.

I actully tried the stuff way back when we knew no better with Tom, he took one look at it and didn't eat it- smart cat.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My elderly cat Lucy is a fussy madam and will only eat Whiskas pouches. One day I accidentally picked up the one that has vegetables in it, peas and carrots (I was in too much of a hurry) and didn't realise what I'd done until after I got home and the shop was closed.

Fed it to Lucy. Now anyone ever tells me that cats don't have expressions...well the look I got from Lucy says it all. She sniffed at it, glared at me with a haughty look on her face as if to say "Excuse me. I'm a cat you know and I am NOT eating THAT". I had to give her a tin of our tuna fish. I gave the rest of the box to one of my neighbours. Never did find out if her cat ate it or not.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting, I don't think it is morally right or healthy at all to feed cats a non meat diet though

panther pride

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I hope no cats eat it, cats are prtty smart animals I wouldnt be surprized if they all refuse it. Maybe the whole reason they want to push cats to these evil diets is to aid another reason to elimanate meat from our own diets, I'm sure peta wouldnt mind this new cat food

We just have to use our heads and understand cat nutrution.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few of our cats like the odd titbit of cheese. A couple of our girls are hunters and catch quite a lot of mice. It's easy to tell they like the occasional nice fresh mouse - I get the remains left on the kitchen floor

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recall once some years back that I bought some kind of food that sounded healthy by the name. (I really don't recall the name, but I'm sure had "Natural & Healthy" in it). I put some down for the cats and they of turned their noses up at it. Of course, after the fact I got to reading the bag and found it was an all vegetable diet.

After reminding myself to look a little closer at what I was buying in the future, I mixed it in with the dogs food. It wasn't a large bag and she didn't mind it a bit.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for all brands, but most vegan or vegetarian cat foods contain supplemental taurine. It probably does not have quite the same nutritional value or quality as the taurine and other essential amino acids that are obtained from meat, but it's in there.

I'd never feed my cat or dog a vegetarian diet. Among other things, it's simply not what's best for them.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone curious, here's the ingredients list from their edited by mod: (Oh, and the mock duck on their website -- is it the people-food version
...I thought I'd seen the same can in an Asian grocery??)

Whole Grain Wheat Flour, or Whole Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dried Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Lecithin, Sea Kelp, Taurine, Garlic, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Nutritional Yeast, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain from Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum fermentation product, Lysine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, Kelp Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite complex, Folic acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese, Methionine Complex, Arachidonic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (Minimum)..........30.0%

Crude Fat (Minimum)................14.0%

Crude Fiber (Minimum)...............3.5%

Moisture (Minimum).................10.0%

Ash Content (Minimum)..............6.0%

P.S. PantherPride - I wasn't able to PM you b/c your box is full, but if you search for "evolution cat food" on yahoo, it's the 7th listing.

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

For anyone curious, here's the ingredients list from their edited: (Oh, and the mock duck on their website -- is it the people-food version
...I thought I'd seen the same can in an Asian grocery??)

Whole Grain Wheat Flour, or Whole Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dried Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Lecithin, Sea Kelp, Taurine, Garlic, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Nutritional Yeast, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain from Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum fermentation product, Lysine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, Kelp Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite complex, Folic acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese, Methionine Complex, Arachidonic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (Minimum)..........30.0%

Crude Fat (Minimum)................14.0%

Crude Fiber (Minimum)...............3.5%

Moisture (Minimum).................10.0%

Ash Content (Minimum)..............6.0%

P.S. PantherPride - I wasn't able to PM you b/c your box is full, but if you search for "evolution cat food" on yahoo, it's the 7th listing.
Edit: Nevermind. Eye kant read.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK wait a minute, are we not allowed to mention brand names in general, or did the lawyers get involved here? There are so many threads on, or mentioning specific brands that haven't had the names modded out that now i'm confused about what i'm allowed to talk about here.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remeber this food a few years back...I had just started visiting veggie sites for tips on cooking and saw this...I looked into it...not for my cats but to see what feeders thought of it(i believe cats need meat but with everything they are doing I think you could come up with a formula to satisfy there nutritional needs...) anyway I ended up visiting a cat rescue page that feeds quite a few cats(250-300 I think it was) they had been using the food for a while with good results...interesting..