Today we got rid of two more...no more kittens for me

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last two kittens we weren't keeping today went to their furrever homes.
I can't stand it, it seems so empty now... all we've got is three left from the original six. Thankfully we're keeping them! I don't think I could stand having to give away any more of my babies!

I'm not going to let Twix or Squeak (the two females) have any more kittens. To me it's just a nuisance - yes, they're precious, but theres too many cats in this world already, it costs more and more for their supplies, and its heartbreaking to get rid of them.

They're all getting spayed/neutered to prevent any more unwanted litters. Twix (the mom) after her milk dries up, the kitens at six months. (Is this normal? The vet said he wouldn't spay them before then! Can't they get pregant much earlier then that?) It's a huge pain to have cats in heat and I want to get them spayed ASAP. I'll call the Humane Society and ask them when it's best to be spayed or neutered and where I can get it done as early as possible... maybe they'll know.

This has gotten a bit off topic...it's more of an essay then anything else.
Mostly I just want to tell someone who actually cares about all of it... I figured this would be the best place.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that cats are best spayed after a first heat. At least, that's what we were told and that's how my girls were done. Coincidentally, they were right around 6 months old.

katyrmiller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you have to say goodbye! But I'm sure you have chosen some wonderful homes for them! I know that male kittens can be neutered as soon as long as their privates have "dropped". I would check around like the above reply stated. If you inform your vet that you have a multi-cat household and you don't want any more litters, they might be more inclined to spay/neuter your kitties sooner. Again, so sorry that you're sad! You're a good pet owner to care so much.

Good wishes to you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww hon i'm sorry that it's sooo hard saying goodbye
But congradualtions on finding them great new forever homes!!!

Also - please consider finding a new vet hon- cats/kitten can be spayed/neutered at 2lbs! Waiting 6 months is just not acceptable anymore- a good vet knows that. Unless there is some medical issue- those animals should not be delayed being altared until 6mo of age- they can have litters by then. The mommy can be spayed a week after she stops nursing the kittens. (give it a week so that her milk has time to dry up and the swelling in her reproductive area/tissue goes down a bit). Until they can be fixed- make sure they are indoors only and not exposed to other intact kitties

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

my vet spays at 4 months. you might want to call around...
That's what I'm going to do. The thing is we called around already and all of the places were super expensive...we have two spays and two neuters to do and really can't afford $100+ per cat. The place we were going to get it done at was $70 for a spay and $90 for a neuter - is this at all normal?? It'd be wonderful if we could find a place that wasn't much more then that that spayed earlier!

Originally Posted by Tammie

It seems to me that cats are best spayed after a first heat. At least, that's what we were told and that's how my girls were done. Coincidentally, they were right around 6 months old.
I'd like to get them done earlier then that if possible. They live outdoors (my dad refuses to have them inside due to allerges in the family) and they can't even stay in the garage during that time...they "make too much of a mess".

Originally Posted by Katyrmiller

I'm so sorry that you have to say goodbye! But I'm sure you have chosen some wonderful homes for them! I know that male kittens can be neutered as soon as long as their privates have "dropped". I would check around like the above reply stated. If you inform your vet that you have a multi-cat household and you don't want any more litters, they might be more inclined to spay/neuter your kitties sooner. Again, so sorry that you're sad! You're a good pet owner to care so much.

Good wishes to you!
The vet we go to is a bit of a stickler - he's older and seems to be set in his ways. Even his phone receptionest is like that. I think my best bet is to call around and find the place that spays the earliest. The only problem with that is, like I stated above, we can't afford to pay 450+ dollars to get them all fixed...that's a lot of money, especially when I'm paying for two of them to get done.

Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Aww hon i'm sorry that it's sooo hard saying goodbye
But congradualtions on finding them great new forever homes!!!

Also - please consider finding a new vet hon- cats/kitten can be spayed/neutered at 2lbs! Waiting 6 months is just not acceptable anymore- a good vet knows that. Unless there is some medical issue- those animals should not be delayed being altared until 6mo of age- they can have litters by then. The mommy can be spayed a week after she stops nursing the kittens. (give it a week so that her milk has time to dry up and the swelling in her reproductive area/tissue goes down a bit). Until they can be fixed- make sure they are indoors only and not exposed to other intact kitties
At least the vet spays Twix as soon as her milk dries up! hat's one thing I'm extremely thankful for - at least there'll be one less cat to worry about if I end up having to get them spayed at six months.
I'd keep them indoors if I could, but my dad refuses to let them stay inside because of allergies in the family.

I'll update everyone ASAP - I'm hoping to call around Monday. Thank you so much for the kind words and support!