Leaving Reeses alone for a few days.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife and I are going away to the beach the 30th and 31st, so naturally we have to leave Reeses alone for that time. We'd be leaving between 12-1 the 30th, so we'd feed her before we leave and make sure she has enough to last her until the next morning. Then my mother in-law is coming the next morning to give her enough food to last through the day and change her water. We'll be home on August 1st around noon, so she just won't be getting fed until then, and I know she'll be ok but I'm just nervous. When we dropped her off to get spayed I was almost in tears thinking of how lonely she'd be. Of course that was in a strange place, but I just worry at how she'd be with having no one around for that time and having someone she's not entirely used to coming to feed her (which will freak her out because she'll come greet them thinking it's us). I just want her to be emotionally ok, and of course be alright with having a bit later breakfast on the day we get home

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww she will be okay.
She has met your mother-in-law before?

Have fun at the beach!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm sure she will be ok - she will probably sleep most of the time any way.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest leaving a radio and some lights on for her too. The radio will break up the silence and give her something to "listen" to besides nothing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat should be fine with the arrangements. Just be sure you have an extra water bowl just in case. We've gone to cat shows leaving on Friday and coming home Sunday. The cats are fine. We have a neighbor the comes over and lets Keno out for potty and feeds her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Aww she will be okay.
She has met your mother-in-law before?

Have fun at the beach!
Yeah she has, but with any person she doesn't see on a regular basis coming into the house if we're not there, she's bound to run and hide.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be fine...in fact I bet you $10 you MIL will say that she was sleeping!

I was curious what the cats did when we're gone all day at work and low and behold they just sleep. She'll be well rested and ready to play and tear the house apart when you get home

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

She'll be fine...in fact I bet you $10 you MIL will say that she was sleeping!

I was curious what the cats did when we're gone all day at work and low and behold they just sleep. She'll be well rested and ready to play and tear the house apart when you get home
I've actually wanted to set up a video camera to find out what she does when we're not here, but I almost don't want to know, although she pretty much does what she wants anyway

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

I've actually wanted to set up a video camera to find out what she does when we're not here, but I almost don't want to know, although she pretty much does what she wants anyway
What you will find is that she has invited all of the bad boys in the neighborhood, had wild parties, set up a mosh pit in the bedroom, and drank herself silly.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lights are a good idea, but please -- not a lamp that could be turned over if she gets rambunctious!

Do you have one of those dry-food dispensers?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Lights are a good idea, but please -- not a lamp that could be turned over if she gets rambunctious!

Do you have one of those dry-food dispensers?
I wouldn't leave any lights on just for the electric bill, and with the exception of a small lamp in the computer room, all our other lamps are puttied down so she can't knock them over (we already went through that...she'd do it on purpose) *lol*.

No I don't, but I thought of it. I'm not worried about the food because I know she'll have enough the day we leave. If we put more than she usually eats, she always has some left over. Then the next day my mother in-law will feed her again, and we'll be back by noon or so on the third day. It's more just her being lonely and me just being concerned that she'll be alright.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

Yeah she has, but with any person she doesn't see on a regular basis coming into the house if we're not there, she's bound to run and hide.
That's okay, even if your MIL just sits in the same room and talks to her a little, she will know she has some company.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I'm sure she will be ok - she will probably sleep most of the time any way.
we recently left for four days. I put a lamp and a fan on a timer and had my brother and SIL come over once a day and leave out dry food (I decided they could go a few days dry-only for the sake of convenience), clean the litterboxes, check on the water fountain and do a little play time.

I thought about leaving a radio, but we live in the middle of a city and there's plenty of people noise for them all the time. I think that I might have left a radio on a timer if we lived in more quiet environs.

The verdict was that they slept most of the time. They were very happy to see us and a little clingy when we returned, but they were otherwise fine. The house was intact. No one got sick.

They had only met their caretakers once previously, but it only took them a day to figure out that these folks who were here to leave food and play laser tag weren't so bad

Honestly, I think I was far far more worried than they were.