Fun Qusetion

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have had our kittens for a week now, and still I get their names mixed up sometimes. I call Cali when I mean Ripley and Ripley when I mean Cali. And sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to even think of their names because I am not use to saying the names. Sometimes I call them by the names of the cats we use to have. This lead me to a fun question to ask you all: About how long does (or did) it take for you all to call your pets by the correct name? How long did it take for you to get use to saying the names? Etc.?

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still get all the names mixed up
And of course the nicknames too
But I am always catching myself, but with 6 cats here its not hard to mix up the names sometimes! But I do it rarely anymore so it does get easier
ITs like I know who I am calling but the wrong name just comes out all the time
But other than that it really didnt take long at all just besides those little mishaps I have here and there

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine are 4, 5 and 7 and I still call one the other's name....... with so many cutsie pet names thrown into the mix, too. Im surprised that my cats or dog actually know what their names are.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, i still mix them up, after 10 years! i do this to my students at school, too. so does my mother, & my grandma did, too - my mom always said she could tell who had last visited my grandma, because grandma would call her by that name the whole time she was there!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

. Im surprised that my cats or dog actually know what their names are.
I was saying that the other day lol
Its just so funny because they all have their name name, and then their nicknames! And Storm shes always getting a new one (my mom just starts randomly calling her all these things all the time)

Originally Posted by laureen227

oh, i still mix them up, after 10 years! i do this to my students at school, too. so does my mother, & my grandma did, too - my mom always said she could tell who had last visited my grandma, because grandma would call her by that name the whole time she was there!
My gram calls me either by her sis's name or my moms name and on a rare occasion my nieces name
! She often calls my niece me too which shell start saying o this would be cute for Amanda, and I look at her like GRAM im RIGHT HERE and I will NEVER fit into that again

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm always getting Carly and Lucy mixed up. DH just says (after listing all three cat names): you know who you are and you'd better stop it.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I very rarely mix up my cats unless it's dark and I can't tell exactly who I'm looking at.

My father, however, gets my sister and I confused, even after raising us for 26 (sister) and 28 (me) years!!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
with 25 cats in and a bunch more outside cats i am always slipping on names...but off the top of my head I know when we got any given cat in the house, age, nueter date...sigh...some times kitty kitty works jsut as well as a name lol

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I rarely slip up their names because I make it a point... I have MANY nicknames, some are for one or the other and some are neutral. Our newest,Lily, is being called "sweet pea" a lot and that's what I say to all of them quite often.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first decided to give Blossom her name, it was easy. As the months have passed, I'm starting to call her Coco, my 15 y/o cat's name & Smokey, a persian I had b4 Coco.
My hubby always gets our human boys' names incorrect, a habit I've copied.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the first week or so I tend to get mixed up
specially when I got 3 kitties around the same time, but now I am pretty good at gettin each name and nicname right first time

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I rarely got them mixed up. When I did, the funny thing was the cat I called the wrong name would not even look up - till I used his/her correct name

Most of the cats/kittens learned their names pretty quick. I'd use it when picking them up and cuddling as a kitten, so it was not long before they knew who I was talking to.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm dreadful, I get everyone's names muddled up all the time. Mostly it's fairly amusing but Nate does get a little annoyed when I call him by my exe's name - thankfully I only do that when I'm cross with him and losing my rag (which probably says more about my previous relationship than anything else), it could be so much worse

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have trouble even with my skin kids names some times, I always have problems with my furry ones. I just do what my mom did when my sister and I were little...run through all the names until you hit the right one!

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo

We have had our kittens for a week now, and still I get their names mixed up sometimes. I call Cali when I mean Ripley and Ripley when I mean Cali. And sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to even think of their names because I am not use to saying the names. Sometimes I call them by the names of the cats we use to have. This lead me to a fun question to ask you all: About how long does (or did) it take for you all to call your pets by the correct name? How long did it take for you to get use to saying the names? Etc.?
Well I keep caling Sophia a 'Him' because I am so used to calling Casper.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still dont call my cats by the correct name... We call Tiger: Fat Man, Simba Simba, and Tiger Boy (rarely ever just Tiger). As for Nollee: Nollee Baby, Baby Girl, and sometimes squeeks (cuz she is squeekin all the time)...

I've come to realize why my poor kitten never comes when I call her Nollee... I have to call her Baby Girl or Nollee Baby. So I use their nicknames far more than just their names alone. Hmmm that is strange, I never really thought about it until this thread!

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I still dont call my cats by the correct name... We call Tiger: Fat Man, Simba Simba, and Tiger Boy (rarely ever just Tiger). As for Nollee: Nollee Baby, Baby Girl, and sometimes squeeks (cuz she is squeekin all the time)...

I've come to realize why my poor kitten never comes when I call her Nollee... I have to call her Baby Girl or Nollee Baby. So I use their nicknames far more than just their names alone. Hmmm that is strange, I never really thought about it until this thread!
It's like I also sometimes call Sophia 'Maine Coon' because she looks like a maine coon cat but I hope she doesn't think thats here name lol

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im mean, I shouldnt call Tiger Fat Man... but he is fat. Sometimes it even seems that he is offended by it, but he comes to that name regularly. LOL as my mom always says (to tiger) "It's tough being orange"...