TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Fun Qusetion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fun Qusetion

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
We have had our kittens for a week now, and still I get their names mixed up sometimes. I call Cali when I mean Ripley and Ripley when I mean Cali. And sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to even think of their names because I am not use to saying the names. Sometimes I call them by the names of the cats we use to have. This lead me to a fun question to ask you all: About how long does (or did) it take for you all to call your pets by the correct name? How long did it take for you to get use to saying the names? Etc.?
post #2 of 25
I still get all the names mixed up And of course the nicknames too But I am always catching myself, but with 6 cats here its not hard to mix up the names sometimes! But I do it rarely anymore so it does get easier ITs like I know who I am calling but the wrong name just comes out all the time But other than that it really didnt take long at all just besides those little mishaps I have here and there
post #3 of 25
Mine are 4, 5 and 7 and I still call one the other's name....... with so many cutsie pet names thrown into the mix, too. Im surprised that my cats or dog actually know what their names are.
post #4 of 25
oh, i still mix them up, after 10 years! i do this to my students at school, too. so does my mother, & my grandma did, too - my mom always said she could tell who had last visited my grandma, because grandma would call her by that name the whole time she was there!
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
. Im surprised that my cats or dog actually know what their names are.
I was saying that the other day lol Its just so funny because they all have their name name, and then their nicknames! And Storm shes always getting a new one (my mom just starts randomly calling her all these things all the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
oh, i still mix them up, after 10 years! i do this to my students at school, too. so does my mother, & my grandma did, too - my mom always said she could tell who had last visited my grandma, because grandma would call her by that name the whole time she was there!
My gram calls me either by her sis's name or my moms name and on a rare occasion my nieces name ! She often calls my niece me too which shell start saying o this would be cute for Amanda, and I look at her like GRAM im RIGHT HERE and I will NEVER fit into that again
post #6 of 25
I'm always getting Carly and Lucy mixed up. DH just says (after listing all three cat names): you know who you are and you'd better stop it.
post #7 of 25
I very rarely mix up my cats unless it's dark and I can't tell exactly who I'm looking at.

My father, however, gets my sister and I confused, even after raising us for 26 (sister) and 28 (me) years!!
post #8 of 25
with 25 cats in and a bunch more outside cats i am always slipping on names...but off the top of my head I know when we got any given cat in the house, age, nueter date...sigh...some times kitty kitty works jsut as well as a name lol
post #9 of 25
Hee! Sometimes Siam gets called Spiam cuz we started saying Spud first.
post #10 of 25
I rarely slip up their names because I make it a point... I have MANY nicknames, some are for one or the other and some are neutral. Our newest,Lily, is being called "sweet pea" a lot and that's what I say to all of them quite often.
post #11 of 25
When I first decided to give Blossom her name, it was easy. As the months have passed, I'm starting to call her Coco, my 15 y/o cat's name & Smokey, a persian I had b4 Coco.
My hubby always gets our human boys' names incorrect, a habit I've copied.
post #12 of 25
For the first week or so I tend to get mixed up specially when I got 3 kitties around the same time, but now I am pretty good at gettin each name and nicname right first time
post #13 of 25
Oh I rarely got them mixed up. When I did, the funny thing was the cat I called the wrong name would not even look up - till I used his/her correct name

Most of the cats/kittens learned their names pretty quick. I'd use it when picking them up and cuddling as a kitten, so it was not long before they knew who I was talking to.
post #14 of 25
I'm dreadful, I get everyone's names muddled up all the time. Mostly it's fairly amusing but Nate does get a little annoyed when I call him by my exe's name - thankfully I only do that when I'm cross with him and losing my rag (which probably says more about my previous relationship than anything else), it could be so much worse
post #15 of 25
Since I have trouble even with my skin kids names some times, I always have problems with my furry ones. I just do what my mom did when my sister and I were little...run through all the names until you hit the right one!
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo View Post
We have had our kittens for a week now, and still I get their names mixed up sometimes. I call Cali when I mean Ripley and Ripley when I mean Cali. And sometimes it takes a moment or 2 to even think of their names because I am not use to saying the names. Sometimes I call them by the names of the cats we use to have. This lead me to a fun question to ask you all: About how long does (or did) it take for you all to call your pets by the correct name? How long did it take for you to get use to saying the names? Etc.?
Well I keep caling Sophia a 'Him' because I am so used to calling Casper.
post #17 of 25
I still dont call my cats by the correct name... We call Tiger: Fat Man, Simba Simba, and Tiger Boy (rarely ever just Tiger). As for Nollee: Nollee Baby, Baby Girl, and sometimes squeeks (cuz she is squeekin all the time)...

I've come to realize why my poor kitten never comes when I call her Nollee... I have to call her Baby Girl or Nollee Baby. So I use their nicknames far more than just their names alone. Hmmm that is strange, I never really thought about it until this thread!
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
I still dont call my cats by the correct name... We call Tiger: Fat Man, Simba Simba, and Tiger Boy (rarely ever just Tiger). As for Nollee: Nollee Baby, Baby Girl, and sometimes squeeks (cuz she is squeekin all the time)...

I've come to realize why my poor kitten never comes when I call her Nollee... I have to call her Baby Girl or Nollee Baby. So I use their nicknames far more than just their names alone. Hmmm that is strange, I never really thought about it until this thread!
It's like I also sometimes call Sophia 'Maine Coon' because she looks like a maine coon cat but I hope she doesn't think thats here name lol
post #19 of 25
Im mean, I shouldnt call Tiger Fat Man... but he is fat. Sometimes it even seems that he is offended by it, but he comes to that name regularly. LOL as my mom always says (to tiger) "It's tough being orange"...
post #20 of 25
I've only ever really had one at a time and Kitters kinda fell into her name so I had no problem remembering it!
post #21 of 25
Sometimes I mix up names, but I don't feel bad because my Mom is the worst at it. Several times she has called both me and my sister "Lady," which is the name of our dog!

I swear, nothing stops a converstion faster than, "Did you just call me the dog's name!?"

Tricia
post #22 of 25
As Bagheera has been in our family for almost 13 years and Harry looks quite like him, I often have to stop myself when I go to call Harry Bagheera! Also we always shortened Bagheera to Baggie, making it easier again to mix the two of them up.

In my defense they are very alike!
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bunny View Post
Sometimes I mix up names, but I don't feel bad because my Mom is the worst at it. Several times she has called both me and my sister "Lady," which is the name of our dog!

I swear, nothing stops a converstion faster than, "Did you just call me the dog's name!?"

Tricia
That is hilarious!!
post #24 of 25
I rarely mess up their names, but I make a point to name them something that I won't forget. If I choose a name and can't remember it by the end of day 1, forget it...the name has to go! Now, Hecate I have issues with at times, because she could be the exact twin of a kitten that I bottle-fed 4yrs ago named Lexie. I find myself calling her Lexie at times. Oops! The others, I don't have a problem with, even with nicknames. Thalia is generally Lia or LiLi Girl and Reyah is generally Rey Rey.
post #25 of 25
I usually have no trouble at all. However, last weekend, Summer came when I called Chevy. At Christmas, I heard the tree shake and said "Chevy!" When I looked over, Summer peered at me and kept doinf what she was doing...Oh well

My Great Grandma would go through everyone's names before she got it right too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Fun Qusetion