Queen Question

tatsukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When do queens begin giving colostrum? I swear that i read somewhere it was 12 to 24 hours before birth. She was acting rowdier than usual because I've confined her to my room, just in case, and she's currently grooming like crazy. is that a sign of early labor?

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the colostrum is within the first 12-24 hours after birth, but could be wrong. When is she due? I haven't noticed queens getting overly rowdey before giving birth, and they tend to groom a lot before they give birth. Is she having discharge, does it look normal? has she lost her mucus plug? she may lick at that, and you not see it, they tend to loose them within 48 hours before giving birth, I think. These would be signs of early labor mabey, but not just grooming, or being rowdy, they will do lots of grooming. I would still keep her confined and have a couple nesting areas set up for her, or have a large crate set up for when she does have them. Another thing you can watch for is her appitie and kittens movement. Some times the mom won't eat or eats less while in early labor, and kittens get very active in the last days before birth, but before mom delivers them they tend to get a lot stiller as they are waiting to be born.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tatsukitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't' have the faintest clue when she's due. She snuck out and got pregnant.
(definitely getting fixed after this mess. ><) Rowdy for Rowena is up in my face wanting to be in my lap, etc. She woke me up just about every hour wanting petting. I haven't had to refill her bowl at all today, but I don't see any discharge or the mucous plug. when i came home yesterday from school, I rubbed her belly and noticed the colostrum.
She's got bald circles around her nipples, and they're a really reddish pink color. The kittens are also moving like crazy, and she's been lounging in the same spot on my bed for two days. (she flat out refuses to stay in her nesting box, despite all the coziness >< )
It's my first cat litter, so I don't really know what exactly to expect and it's driving me a lil bonkers.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have read this, and I may be wrong, but I do know the kittens get the most benefit from Mom's milk for the first 48 hours, the colustrum is most effective. The part that I have read also mentions a cat continues to create colostrum after 48 hours, however it doesn't offer the same benefit to the the kittens after the 48 hours. Most of my Girls milk will come in at least 48 hours, and even once a week prior to delivery, she is very close if you have let down, so be ready, she may surprise you at any day and any hour.
Good Luck.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

I have read this, and I may be wrong, but I do know the kittens get the most benefit from Mom's milk for the first 48 hours, the colustrum is most effective. The part that I have read also mentions a cat continues to create colostrum after 48 hours, however it doesn't offer the same benefit to the the kittens after the 48 hours. Most of my Girls milk will come in at least 48 hours, and even once a week prior to delivery, she is very close if you have let down, so be ready, she may surprise you at any day and any hour.
Good Luck.
FTR is correct, LOL! I really had meant 24-48 hours, but put 12-24, LOL! I didn't realize they had colostum longer but knew it is beneficial for them to drink milk for the first 48 hours.

I have so much on my mind now and so distracted, mabey I have no bussiness posting advise at this time
If I am going to post wrong info, I better take a break

Thanks for giving the correct info for me, LOL!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

FTR is correct, LOL! I really had meant 24-48 hours, but put 12-24, LOL! I didn't realize they had colostum longer but knew it is beneficial for them to drink milk for the first 48 hours.

I have so much on my mind now and so distracted, mabey I have no bussiness posting advise at this time
If I am going to post wrong info, I better take a break

Thanks for giving the correct info for me, LOL!
That was great advice. I don't know if it is fact that they produce colostrum past that 48 hours, the only fact I know is that the kittens get the most benefit for the first 48 hours. I have only read that a cat produces colostum later, however, this may have just been a myth, what I read was not accredited to anyone.
Your going through a hard time right now, don't be too hard on yourself. Sending you lots of hugs!!