Lessening the Desire to Go Outside

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Before I made my move I transitioned Midnight, the stray (actually I believe abandoned) black cat who became mine when I moved into my previous place. I am so glad I did bring her indoors. I just went out front to put something outside and Tal my Lab came with me. Midnight started walking towards the door. Of course I had it closed by the time she got there. When I came back in she just walked back into the LR.

There was a time when she would have tried like everything to get out that door. She's such a good natured cat.

plazzain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You really can't 'make' her not want to go outside. If you don't want her outside, simply do your best not to let her get out. Make it a habit to make sure she isn't nearby, ready to make a run for it. My tom Leo used to want outside all the time, but then we stopped once he got in a fight. It took awhile, but he eventually stopped begging to go out. Now we only let him play out in the grass under our supervision.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that really helps cats enjoy the outdoors from the safety of indoors is window perches. Maia has a carpeted shelf across our back window overlooking trees and a lot of bird activity. It is about 18" wide and there is a ramp that she runs up to get to it, she absolutely loves it! Giving them their own area that is somewhere they enjoy watching things and getting sun is so important for them and helps satisfy that need to hunt and observe.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, my cats ( the 4 indoor ones ) have a large window too look out of, lots of sun during the day and they can see all the birds and cows in the paddocks. Often the paddocks are littered with Magpies and Pigeons and Starlings, so they have plenty too see...even when I am out with my dogs they can watch, and they do !
also bugs as they crawl on the windows, and leaves flyin around outside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShakaDaka

I agree, my cats ( the 4 indoor ones ) have a large window too look out of, lots of sun during the day and they can see all the birds and cows in the paddocks. Often the paddocks are littered with Magpies and Pigeons and Starlings, so they have plenty too see...even when I am out with my dogs they can watch, and they do !
also bugs as they crawl on the windows, and leaves flyin around outside
Cool...I didn't know that but one of the things I did was put Midnight's cat tree by the front window. When I'm home I keep the blinds open during the day amd she likes sitting there. Also, on top of the fridge and Tal's (my Lab) crate. All those places are close to windows and she has a clear view of outside!