probiotics in foods

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am I the only who thinks it is curious and maybe a little suspicious when some cat food makers include probiotics in their formulas? Doesn't this amount to an admission on their part that they are including ingredients that cats may have trouble digesting?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not feel that way at all. I searched for a grain free with probiotics in it BECAUSE I have a cat that has some tummy issues. That way I don't have to give him yoghurt (which he won't eat) or buy things like Bene Bac to feed him separately.

Having it in the food he eats is easier on all of us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I do not feel that way at all. I searched for a grain free with probiotics in it BECAUSE I have a cat that has some tummy issues. That way I don't have to give him yoghurt (which he won't eat) or buy things like Bene Bac to feed him separately.

Having it in the food he eats is easier on all of us.
But wouldn't it be better to not feed whatever it is that is causing the upset?

I don't mean to question the way you are handling your problem I'm just questioning why they include ingredients in their foods if they know those ingredients may cause a problem.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

But wouldn't it be better to not feed whatever it is that is causing the upset?

I don't mean to question the way you are handling your problem I'm just questioning why they include ingredients in their foods if they know those ingredients may cause a problem.
With my cat it isn't that he is being fed something that causes upset, rather, he needs the bacteria to assist his intestinal lining so that he, personally, is able to properly absorb the nutrients from the food he eats.

It is his own tummy issue, not an issue caused by any particular kind of food. He is a feral rescue and the first couple of months of his life he ate God knows what other than momcat milk.

To make SURE that he gets what he needs from what he eats, I feed him the grain-free dry with probiotics in it.

It is NOT a situation where he wouldn't be able to eat the food unless it has probiotics, it is that I CHOSE this food BECAUSE it has probiotics and no grain which will not only allow for better digestion but will also allow for better nutrient absorbtion in his gut.

I don't know how to better explain that to you. It's a holistic diet, not a "the manufacturer feels guilty so adds good stuff to the food" diet.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main cause of imbalance of bacteria in the gut is antibiotics and medications, as antibiotics target more than one bacteria strain, including the bacteria necessary for digestion. If probiotics are added to food I think it can only be a good thing, it's not 'putting right' something that's wrong with the food in itself, and it's not harmful - it's just an ingredient that helps our kitties stay healthy. L-lysine, yucca extract, and cranberry extract are not 'necessary' ingredients for most cats either, but the best foods will often contain them as they promote maintenance of good health throughout the cats life, not just for when they are sick.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know how to better explain that to you. It's a holistic diet, not a "the manufacturer feels guilty so adds good stuff to the food" diet.
I think what you are saying is that your cat is lacking what is naturally occuring in the digestive tracts of most cats. If that is the case then of course I agree with using probitics to treat such a condition. That is analagous to a human who is lactose intolerant using probiotics so that they can consume dairy. I can't say I know for sure but I suspect that most people who are lactose intolerant simply don't consume dairy products.

What I am trying to point out is that I would think the vast majority of cats would have normal, healthy digestive tracts and that if they were fed foods containing ingredients appropriate for the species that the addition of probiotics should be unnecessary.

To clarify: I am NOT attacking your choice of foods for your cat. I fully understand that every cat is an individual and that some may have special needs.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think what you are saying is that your cat is lacking what is naturally occuring in the digestive tracts of most cats. If that is the case then of course I agree with using probitics to treat such a condition. That is analagous to a human who is lactose intolerant using probiotics so that they can consume dairy. I can't say I know for sure but I suspect that most people who are lactose intolerant simply don't consume dairy products.

What I am trying to point out is that I would think the vast majority of cats would have normal, healthy digestive tracts and that if they were fed foods containing ingredients appropriate for the species that the addition of probiotics should be unnecessary.

To clarify: I am NOT attacking your choice of foods for your cat. I fully understand that every cat is an individual and that some may have special needs.
I'm not feeling attacked at all, but I appreciate the thought.

I find your comparison to lactose intolerance in humans actually quite appropriate for the simply reason that cats in general are very digestion sensitive and most are, in fact, lactose intolerant.

Giving cats, any cat of any breed or situation, probitiocs is only going to be helpful, not harmful. It is not an unnecessary ingredient if you are thinking about what is best for your cat from a "whole health" perspective.

I've learned a lot here on TCS in the 14 months that I've been a member, and feel very fortunate to have found such a wonderful place to learn and grow from.

I owened a bird for 17 years, and have had cats for less than three - just about everything I know about taking really good care of these furbabies came from things I picked up here on this site and additionally researched on my own.

Lots of us see things different ways, but we all love our cats to pieces. I needed to find the right food for Ferris, and that turned out to be Nature's Variety Raw Instinct and Serengeti. It gets Royal Canin mixed into it at about 50% because Penny the Bengal is our newest family member, and that's what she ate all her life at Kai Bengals'.

The grain free kibbles have a very high protein content, which Bengals require, so Ferris' diet needs have worked out really well for all three cats. Ginger's coat hasn't been this shiny and soft since she was eating Nutro kitten kibble. Nutro adult sure as heck didn't do anything good for her coat.

It is a good thing that you ask these questions - this is how we all learn things. I'm sure there are plenty of other people lurking out there who were thinking the same question but never came out to ask it.

I'm a bit brusque by nature, so I'm sorry if I get a little abrasive on occasion - it's never personal, I'm just a very direct person. Someone asks a question, I answer straight. And I'm always just a PM away if you want to discuss something off the main forums.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I find your comparison to lactose intolerance in humans actually quite appropriate for the simply reason that cats in general are very digestion sensitive and most are, in fact, lactose intolerant.
Which is why I think dairy products are an inappropriate ingredient for cat foods and yet many contain them.

It is not an unnecessary ingredient if you are thinking about what is best for your cat from a "whole health" perspective.
OK, but why?

I'm a bit brusque by nature, so I'm sorry if I get a little abrasive on occasion - it's never personal, I'm just a very direct person. Someone asks a question, I answer straight.
Me too.
Your response did seem a bit "rabid".

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

OK, but why?
I really don't know how to answer that - it's a matter of individual perspective.

I perceive my cats' health from an inside-out way of looking at it. I pay attention to what goes into them so that they will stay as healthy and happy for as long as is possible.

Preventative health, not reactive health.
I don't know how to better communicate it to you.

Me too.
Your response did seem a bit "rabid".
I sowwy.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

The main cause of imbalance of bacteria in the gut is antibiotics and medications, as antibiotics target more than one bacteria strain, including the bacteria necessary for digestion.
In which case I think it would be completely appropriate to include a supplement of probiotics during the course of the antibiotics. But the supplement would be unnecessary when the anitbiotics are no longer given. Right?

If probiotics are added to food I think it can only be a good thing, it's not 'putting right' something that's wrong with the food in itself, and it's not harmful - it's just an ingredient that helps our kitties stay healthy. L-lysine, yucca extract, and cranberry extract are not 'necessary' ingredients for most cats either, but the best foods will often contain them as they promote maintenance of good health throughout the cats life, not just for when they are sick.
Is this true: You don't know more sure that the probiotics are absolutely necessary in a healthy cat but they can't hurt and may help?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probiotics absolutely will not hurt your cat whatsoever. They are "good bacteria" cultures and you can't have too much good bacteria in your guts, be you cat or human or and other type of flesh and blood being.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It isn't necessarily the food that is causing digestive problems. Jaffa had loose stools last year and it didn't matter what food I fed him. I even put him back onto the felix etc he used to eat up until about a year ago (with no digestive problems) but it didn't resolve the problem. Adding a probiotic to his food did. In his case I think the introduction of a new cat may have been a factor by causing stress and, as someone else mentioned, antibiotics can cause problems and are best followed by a probiotic. I dont' think adding a probiotic to a food is a bad idea - it can only help and wont harm the cat.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's true- it can't hurt, and if your cat happens to need it (due to past or current antibiotics or simply a naturally occuring imbalance due to who knows what can mess up the "flora" in the gut for a long time) it can make all the difference in the world! Bacteria in the gut can get off kilter for numerous reasons (good bacteria vs. bad) so I would think that if a food adds probiotics to its food, that would be a plus in the manufactor's standing in my eyes, not a minus

Not to get too graphic or personal
, but I have just recently learned about the use of probiotics in my medical condition (cystic fibrosis- we take a lot of antibiotics, and already have digestive issues along with lung issues) and not only is it good for your digestion system to have the proper balance of bacteria, it is also good for your whole immune system! I now take one myself (in addition to yogurt) and I do feel much better

I hope that helps!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
probiotics are a NATURAL part of life ... Unfortunately house felines and humans now eat COOKED food and thus PROBIOTICS are nessassaryas it is cooking that detroys them... Now a better question is to ask if you food freeze dries them and then adds or if the are added after the intial cooking process or if they are just mixed in with the raw ingrediants
.If we all ate freshly killed or harvested RAW foods there would be no need for probiotics added
.... I too have a medical issue that causes me to use antibiotics
alot... oh and a OD on antibiotics WITHOUT probiotics NEARLY killed me ...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from checking out a new pet supply store. An employee there told me the reason cos have started adding probiotics to their foods is because it is becoming more common for cats to be indoor only. If they were outdoors they would eat more nasty stuff that would help maintain the bacteria levels in their guts. I haven't checked this but she said that one difference in some cos "indoor" formulas is the addition of probiotics.

BTW - The store is Carter's Pet Depot. It has a fantastic selection of the highest quality cat foods. If you are in Houston, check it out. It's at I-10 and Echo Ln.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NO most premiums do continual research and found that DIGESTION is better ... My cat eats a food with Probiotics and it is NOT INDOOR...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

NO most premiums do continual research and found that DIGESTION is better ... My cat eats a food with Probiotics and it is NOT INDOOR...
I'm not sure what you are saying here??

I didn't say only indoor formulas have probiotics.

What does "NO most premiums do continual research and found that DIGESTION is better"
mean???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not sure what you are saying here??

I didn't say all indoor formulas have probiotics.

What does "NO most premiums do continual research and found that DIGESTION is better"
mean???
The research by most companies is ongoing
.... Studies have found that PROBIOTICS aid in better digestion... thus many companies started putting them in....

NO MOST premiums( what I would call premium mind you) now put in probiotics and some prebiotics( chicory root and beet pulp are examples)... Both help in total digestion of COOKED food s...

I UNDERSTOOD NOT all indoors have them
... IE I read every bag that I come accross indoor or otherwise...

Silly question have you done any HUMAN nutrition research?>??

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly question have you done any HUMAN nutrition research?>??
??? I've never done any nutritional research human or otherwise. Why do you ask???

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly haven't researched this have only very limited knowledge on the subject. But...

On the surface, it seems that if we (and our pets) were only eating "appropriate" foods, we (and our pets) would not need probiotics under normal circumstances. "Appropriate" varies from person to person and pet to pet, depending on sensitivities and other individual issues. I have yet to see a dry cat food that I consider "appropriate"...so I can see why they are added to those. Now, wet food...I don't know....are they commonly added to wet food too? I honestly don't know offhand.