Wet food suggestion for IBD?

hatzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Mikey has been on Hills Prescription I/D diet since April both wet and dry with a lot of success. After a month of different medications and a lot of vomiting/diarrhea, he was finally given a prednisone injection and switched over to the Hills. He's been vomit-free and maybe a couple loose poops since, which we're thrilled about. But the food quality sucks. He's never loved it and now he eats little of it. He devours the dry and we also treat with Sheba about 3 times a week, which he also devours.

From what I've read, Wellness, Innova, Felidae, and NAtural Balance seem to be the brands of choice. But for his IBD? Should I keep the same brand for wet and dry?

Thanks!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of times, the vets will put IBD kitties on a novel protein diet which is a protein they've not been exposed to in the past such as duck, rabbit or venison. IVD/Royal Canin makes some good ones that cats seem to like, at least for awhile but they're by prescription only. Nature's Variety also has duck, rabbit and venison canned foods that aren't prescription.

I have a hard time getting IVD/Royal Canin prescription diets and have gone through all 3 of the Nature's Variety flavors. Bailey and Chloe do well on them, but apparently get tired of eating the same thing over and over, so I'm in the process of trying to find something else for them. Right now I'm starting them on Wellness which is grain-free. Chloe seems to be doing well on it, but Bailey just threw up this morning, so I don't know how the Wellness is going to work for him.

Katy also has IBD and she's on Eukanuba Low Residue dry which is absolutely the only food she'll eat.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very careful about adding new ingredients to his diet. Look at the ingredients in the foods he is eating now and compare with the ingredients of the new food you want to try. Start with foods that have ingredients that are close to, but not necessarily exactly the same as, what he is currently eating. Over time you can add more complex foods.

Hope this helps!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I would be very careful about adding new ingredients to his diet. Look at the ingredients in the foods he is eating now and compare with the ingredients of the new food you want to try. Start with foods that have ingredients that are close to, but not necessarily exactly the same as, what he is currently eating. Over time you can add more complex foods.

Hope this helps!
That exactly.. if he as example is eating duck and pea ... dont get beef and rice ... maybe try a duck and rice or a chicken and pea

ANY ideas on what triggers the IBD>>>?? around here it was lamb

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in other opinions, but personally for canned I think I would try By Nature Turkey & Turkey Liver

Organic Turkey, Natural Well Water, Organic Turkey Liver, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Organic Guar Gum, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin Supplements (E, A, Riboflavin, D3, B12), Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

This is the canned I/D

Water, Turkey Liver, Turkey, Corn Flour, Rice Flour, Soy Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Taurine, Iodized Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Not sure about the other By Nature flavors...the other ones are similar but with different meats...Chicken/Chicken Liver, Turkey/Chicken Liver...I don't know if I would mess with the mackeral flavor in this case.

For dry, hmmm I would limit that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hatzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That exactly.. if he as example is eating duck and pea ... dont get beef and rice ... maybe try a duck and rice or a chicken and pea

ANY ideas on what triggers the IBD>>>?? around here it was lamb
Since he eats everything from a piece of lint to plastic bags, that's most likely the culprit. We try to be very careful with what we leave around, but I found him chewing on a wicker garbage pail the other day and guess what? Today he's been vomiting and had some bloody diarrhea. For now, I'll leave the food changing alone since he's having another episode. The vet was able to give us an appt. tomorrow morning. I suppose I'll ask for another depo injection?

That's excellent advice, beandip...if and when I make the change, I'll stick to something similar to what's in the ID diet.