Age differences

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the age difference between you and your SO and how old were you both when you met?

Why I was curious to know this: I was having a conversation with a friend about age gaps in relationships. I said that many of our friends have parents who are 10+ years apart. For example, my parents have a five year age gap. My mom met my dad when she was around sixteen, and he was 21. At the time nobody really cared about the age difference (or so they say). But apparently nowadays it's wrong if a high school senior dates a high school freshman.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was around 18 when I met Jim and he was 22 .......... I am now 40 and he is about 12

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems like I'm missing out on everything fun.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am 13+ years older than my husband. I was 39 when we met, and he was 26.
(coming up on our 12th anniversary this Fall
)

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets see I think I was about 71/2 years older I was 49 and bob was almost 42. We have been married 10 years this August, 10 years Wow Alimony
J/K all is good

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Dh was 28 and I was 19 when we met. We have been together for 11 years now and still going strong.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I met my first husband I was 18 and he was 27. Our divorce had nothing to do with age and it was really never a factor.

My second husband was six years older than me and again the age difference was not a factor.

I dated a man for a year that was 15 years older than me. The age was a was not a factor. It was really only an issue when it came to his friends. I knew them all before but they obviously had been though a lot as friends and at times I felt like an outsider.

I don't regret dating him as one of his friends and I became very good friends and I charish my friendship with her a great deal.

My current BF is exactly 5 years and 6 months older than me and so far age has not been a factor. We like a lot of the same things so it is all good.

I feel as long as it is legal it really is not anybodys business. I know the maturity factor comes in to play but unless you actually know the people and know their relationship then you can't honestly form an opinion.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex was 8 yrs older. After divorce I vowed not to date older guys any more. DH and I are technically 5 yrs apart (me older) but we think so much alike and like the same tv shows (grew up with) that we think of being the same age

We have to stop and think about it when putting down our real birthdays on legal stuff....

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I was around 18 when I met Jim and he was 22 .......... I am now 40 and he is about 12
OMG Pam
My DH is 13 years older than me I was 31 when we met and he was 44, we got married less than a year later and have been married for over 9 years. My first DH was 11 years older than me, he died in an accident when he was 42 and I was 31
All my life I have dated older guys

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm 9 months older than my husband. We met when he was 24 and I was 25. We were friends for a year, now been together for 5 years, and married for 2yrs.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

We have been married 10 years this August, 10 years Wow Alimony
J/K all is good
Originally Posted by Jenny1124

my DH is 17 years older than me, but he does still act about 12

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband
was 22 and I was 32. I thought he was about 26 and he thought I was about 26 but we found out the truth on the first date. It didn't matter then and has never been an issue since.

It was love at first sight, although we tried to take things slowly and waited several years before getting engaged and married.

When we met, we both had very clear views of life, and where we wanted to go in life. Our views were amazingly the same and haven't faltered. Talk about seeing eye-to-eye! We treat each other with respect and consideration, and our home is full of love and laughter.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 18 when I met DH and he was 20. I am 10 days shy of being exactly 2 years younger than him!

My Mom is seven years older than my step-dad, but they didn't meet till she was about 37 I think.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex and I were 2 years apart (him being the younger) wasn't very good relationship, but that's another story.

My current hubby and I are 6 years apart. He's the greatest man I've ever met. (Who'd have thunk it?? a great man! J/K
) We've been together since he was 21 and married for three years. (Holy long time Batman!!!) He always knows what to say and I thank his mom for that!
She's great too!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am 28 and my husband is 32 (although most of the time you'd think he was 12). When we met, I was 23 and my husband was 26 (almost 27). Been married for 4 years (on July 19th). He actually proposed to me 3 months after we met and got married a year after that. We are nearly inseperable.

I've dated guys that are older and younger (but never more than a 5 year age difference). I personally wouldn't date anyone who was too much younger or older just based on preference. I was never really impressed with guys that were younger than me.

The best part of our relationship revolves around one of my cats. One day when we were still dating, I had to take Isadora to the vet because she had severe Uveitis. He went with me. The total bill for the vet visit came to $400. I couldn't really afford it, but had decided I was going to put it on my credit card (even though I hate using my credit card). He could tell I was a little distressed, so he whipped out his debit card and paid for her vet visit. I tried to refuse, but he told me that he loved Isadora as much as he loved me. I decided he was definately a keeper!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I met John when I was 20-just about 21 in a month, and he was 22, almost 23 in a month (our bdays are 1 month apart & we started dating right before then)... I'm now 23 & he's 25, on a good day. Most days he acts like a 12 year old like Pam said

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my SO is 9 years older, i am 27 and he is 36..i've always liked older men but my two most successful relationships were when it was about 9 or 10 years older than me...oh, and we met a year and a half ago.