new kitten still has potbelly

warcraftplayer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new kitten who followed me home wednesday. Mom and I took her to the vet that same afternoon to have her treated for an evident eye infection and probable worms. She also had ear mites and a respiratory infection. She was wormed, but it's now 2 days later and she still looks bloated. Her stomach seems to be more bloated than on wednesday. We've been feeding her kitten food of course and she seems to be feeling much better, but I was wondering if the worms should have come out by now. She came from a barn and was hungry for a while.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give beackground information so you could give any possible information.

edited to add, the kitten is being isolated in my room just so you know.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be gassy. I have seen pretty extreme cases in kittens that age, coming from similar situations...change in diet, previous lack of nutrition...it's all very overwhelming for her system.

Have you seen worms in her stool, since Wednesday?

I would ask the vet, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

warcraftplayer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't seen worms yet, but then i haven't been dissecting her poo. Mom told me if it doesn't go away by monday, She will call the vet. Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of gas.

edited to add, if it is gas, how do i make it go away or will it disappear on its own

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a stray kitten in to get shots, dewormed, etc. Two days later, I honestly thought she was going to pop he was so bloated. It was friday night after office hours, and I called the vet's emergency number (interrupted her at dinner...I was so embarrassed) and told her the kitten was going to explode. She said it was normal for kittens with a bad case of worm to bloat up. The way she explained it is, if it's a bad case, the medicine will cause gas, which help expel the worms. Sure enough, later that night Tigger was laying on my lap, I looked down and here was the worm crawling out of his butt! Gross, I know, but it worked.

If she hasn't gotten any better by tomorrow, you may want to call, but I just wanted to share my disgusting experience!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice on this. Just wanted to say you and your mom are wonderful for taking this little one in

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I don't have any advice on this. Just wanted to say you and your mom are wonderful for taking this little one in
And you and your mom are great for TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE of this little one... Good for you!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by warcraftplayer

I haven't seen worms yet, but then i haven't been dissecting her poo. Mom told me if it doesn't go away by monday, She will call the vet. Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought of gas.

edited to add, if it is gas, how do i make it go away or will it disappear on its own
If it is gas, I don't know how to make it go away. From what I've seen it clears up on it's own. I think you have a good plan to call the vet about it on Monday.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

If it is gas, I don't know how to make it go away. From what I've seen it clears up on it's own. I think you have a good plan to call the vet about it on Monday.
GAS is usually a issue of poor digestion... is the baby on dry or wet food???

if dry warm and add cat milk, KMR or water to it and see if that helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

warcraftplayer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has dry kitten food, we moistened it at first, but she will eat it dry, we are giving her cat milk in a bowl as well as water in another bowl. Thanks for the advice.