Run Away Cat

dfbtc887

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 11 year old cat indoor female cat recently got out unnoticed. When we noticed the next morning, she was gone. We have not seen any signs of her for 4 days now.

We have put out signs and flyers to all in the neighborhood but no luck so far.
We have a add in the paper and have been checking the shelters and vets
regularly.

Any ideas why a "happy cat" would run away all of the sudden? We did let her go outside sometimes but she always stayed on the back porch. Can indoor cats find their way back?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would guess that something spooked her. She is probably nearby, in bushes around where you live. Go out at night when it's quiet and call for her and listen. She may make a sound to tell you where she is. Put out stinky food that she likes and a T-shirt that you have worn with your scent on it.

Good luck. I will keep you alll in my prayers.

taz monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have some of her used cat litter, sprinkle it outside the perimeter of your house, she will be able to smell it. When my coworkers cat got out, and she had to work late, I took cans of cheap, smelly wet cat food and put them all over the yard. Sure enough, she came home that night, and when Kim went out to collect the cans, all of them were empty. If all else fails, borrow a humane trap from the humane society and trap her. She'll only be slightly traumatized for a little while.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww I am sorry your kitty had gone a little walk-about
She probably got a bit spooked and ran off to hide

the cat-lit & cat-food are both good suggestions
is it possible for you to leave a downstairs window open, this happened to me years ago and my cats just jumped through the window out of the blue - just a thought.

I am sending lots of come home quickly ((((((
vibes
))))) for your kitty - keep us posted !

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taz Monkey

If you have some of her used cat litter, sprinkle it outside the perimeter of your house, she will be able to smell it. When my coworkers cat got out, and she had to work late, I took cans of cheap, smelly wet cat food and put them all over the yard. Sure enough, she came home that night, and when Kim went out to collect the cans, all of them were empty. If all else fails, borrow a humane trap from the humane society and trap her. She'll only be slightly traumatized for a little while.
I am not sure if that is why Lady came home, but I put out used cat litter on Thursday night and she came home Friday evening. Not a sign of her until then...

taz monkey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittergirl

I am not sure if that is why Lady came home, but I put out used cat litter on Thursday night and she came home Friday evening. Not a sign of her until then...
Good!! Glad shes home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dfbtc887

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We Got A Call From A Neighbor(thanks To The Flyer Idea) 5 Doors Down This Morning - She Said She Thought They Found Our Cat. Our Cat Was In Their Bushes And Her Husband Had Picked It Up. When We Got There In About 30 Seconds - It Was Her!!!

Thanks For All Your Prayers,suggestions, And Support!!!!!

I Hope This Helps Somebody Else If This Happens To You - Don't Loose Hope!!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dfbtc887

We Got A Call From A Neighbor(thanks To The Flyer Idea) 5 Doors Down This Morning - She Said She Thought They Found Our Cat. Our Cat Was In Their Bushes And Her Husband Had Picked It Up. When We Got There In About 30 Seconds - It Was Her!!!

YAY!!! So glad your kitty is home!!
Thats wonderful!!

mylilscout

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dfbtc887

That is such great news!!!!

My kitty, Scout was away from the house for 24 hours this weekend and I also posted on here... And like you, we put out fliers and that is also what worked for us! And he was also about 7 or 8 houses down! I know how scary it was to not know where he was and was thrilled when he came home. I am sure the experience was smilair for you, and I'm happy you had a "Found Happy Ending" of your own too!

CONGRATS!