Cats and Allergies

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi (I have no idea if this is the right forum. If it's not, please move it where appropriate. THANKS!)

So, this is something that's been bothering me for some time. I've been looking into adopting a cat, so I've been reading all kinds of adds as well as looking in shelters. I have VERY OFTEN discovered the reason that cats are being given up is because of "severe allergies". Every time I hear about this I want to ask the person if they've tried anything to get rid of the allergies? Have they tried *everything*? And if their allergies were that severe, why did they get a cat in the first place?

There are two reasons where I can *sort of* understand this. 1). If you're marrying/moving in w/ someone you love who is deathly allergic. or 2) your child is growing up with severe allergies. But those are not very common. Usually it's the person who owned the cat all of a sudden has allergies.

I was just wondering other people's opinions on this matter. OR if you want to share your anti-cat allergy remedy or any stories, feel free =)
Thanks!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think some people say that and they are lying. In alot of circumstances, it is easier to say allergies then tell the prospective adopter about behavioural problems..etc..

Some people just want to get rid of the cat just because..but will say the allergy thing as not to spark questions.

I personally would not give up Trout if I had allergies to her. I would take medication for the rest of my life if I had to.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I am quite allergic to cats, but I deal with it in order to live with one. Check out this TCS article. It has some ideas on how to deal with having a cat allergy.

http://www.thecatsite.com/Health/223...t-Allergy.html
I've had horrible allergies all my life, and cats too
I don't see how people can all of a sudden just get rid of their pet because of an "allergy". And I'm sorry, you know if you are allergic to cats or not before you get one!

That article is brilliant

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my Parent's adopted Bunny she was up for the 3rd time. Her first owners moved overseas and her second claimed allergies. Like Nat said, I have a feeling they were lying. Bunny has had issues with inappropriate elimination....with patience and work those have been resolved.

DH is allergic to cats, but takes medication. We also do basic things like vacuuming and brushing the girls regularly. They also aren't allowed in our bedroom so that is a 'safe' place for him. We run an air filter in our bedroom and had one in the living room/kitchen area too. We stoped using that one after a while because DH has noticed that his allergies are better; that he's built up some immunity it seems. I also used to bathe the girls and then used a waterless bath for reducing allergens. Lately I don't have to do that, but will if say my FIL is coming to visit because his allergies are much worse than DH's.

Doing all these things is such a small thing compared to the love and all that the girls bring to us. We went for a bit without any cats when we were first married. It was awful for me...I just was so lonely for a cat!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up with cat allergies so bad that any time I would come in contact with a cat my throat would swell up, my eyes would swell shut, and I would itch ALL OVER. However, I was constantly exposed to cats at friends' houses. My family owned a cat while I was growing up as well (although he was strictly outdoor). I honestly think that one of the reasons I outgrew cat allergies was becuase I was continually exposed to them.

I don't think I could EVER give up my babies...even if it was because of allergies. My cats are my life.