Dry Food

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right I know I've posted a question like this before about dry and wet food , well I have given Sophia wet and dry food together and she doesnt seem to eat it aswell as just having dry... so do you think I should just give her dry food?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't advise mixing the two together. I have heard of putting a couple pieces of the dry on top of the wet to get their interest though.

I'd just suggest you try different brands and types. Some cats don't like the pate type, some prefer chunks, some like other types. I know it took me trying about 8 different types and brands before I found what Bijou and Mika would eat in wet food. Since Bijou was gaining so much weight on the dry food diet alone and I learned how important a wet diet was, I was adamant that I was going to find at least one wet food they would eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I wouldn't advise mixing the two together. I have heard of putting a couple pieces of the dry on top of the wet to get their interest though.

I'd just suggest you try different brands and types. Some cats don't like the pate type, some prefer chunks, some like other types. I know it took me trying about 8 different types and brands before I found what Bijou and Mika would eat in wet food. Since Bijou was gaining so much weight on the dry food diet alone and I learned how important a wet diet was, I was adamant that I was going to find at least one wet food they would eat.
This is kitten food though?

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are cats that just don't like wet food, it's not the end of the world.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't take very well to wet food, and some would eat only wet if given the choice, and some actually do. Each cat/kitten is different. I would advise just trying different textures (chunks in gravy, chunks in broth, pate), different flavors (beef, chicken, tuna, liver, etc) and different brands. Zoey ate wet food really really well until I let her try some Friskies chunk-style and Meow Mix, and now she doesn't like the "healthier" stuff like Nutro & Natural Life which are both loaf/pate-style foods. I just put a spoonful of what she likes on top of a spoonful of the good stuff and that way she eats the healthy food and enjoys it too.
I would first try putting some of her dry kibble on top to get her interest. If that doesn't work, just try some different types. There's bound to be one she will like.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What wet food are you giving her?. My lot won't eat cheap food like Whiskers, plus it makes their stools stink because theres so many animal parts in it

Have you tried HiLife?. It's a bjit more expensive but worth it.

http://www.hilifepet.co.uk/

Marks and Spencers cat food goes down well here as well. Mind you it's chunks of fish in a lobster jelly if you please!!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

There are cats that just don't like wet food, it's not the end of the world.
I don't think that they "don't like" wet food...I think they just prefer dry food. Sort of like how I would prefer a candy bar over a salad, but one of them is better for me.
Given a choice, most cats will choose dry food because it tastes like meat flavored candy... but the wet food has too many benefits to ignore. The only benefit to dry food is the convenience factor for humans.

I agree with the others...experiment with various brands, textures and flavors.
The other thing is that if the dry food is available 24/7, the enthusiasm for wet is bound to be close to zero.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

What wet food are you giving her?. My lot won't eat cheap food like Whiskers, plus it makes their stools stink because theres so many animal parts in it

Have you tried HiLife?. It's a bjit more expensive but worth it.

http://www.hilifepet.co.uk/

Marks and Spencers cat food goes down well here as well. Mind you it's chunks of fish in a lobster jelly if you please!!
I didn't realise that Marks and Sparks did cat food!!