Yarrah Organic Cat Food

butterfleye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to find a Natural wet food that both my Cats will like/eat, so far I have tried many varieties of Almo with so far no luck, some Applaws which they found so-so, they have Natures Menu but they won't eat it for every meal (they have wet twice a day) and if I feed it too them for too many days in a row it makes my Boy Cat throw up! and I've just received my order today from Zooplus with two flavours of Cosma to tempt them with.
I don't want to give them any food with Animal by-products or derivitives, I've never tried the Yarrah food before because it says Animal derivitives on the ingredients list but I was looking on the Yarrah website and in the questions section under why Animal derivitives it says this 'In our products only livers, harts, and chicken stomachs are used. In the Cat Pâté and Dog Dinners also liver, hart and kidney is of beef is used. Liver, hart and kidneys are good for a lot of minerals. Despite that most dogs and cats like liver a lot. Stomachs are added because they contain a lot of protein and little fat'.
So do you think this food would then be ok?, the food is Orgainc and it says above what exactly the Animal devivitives are so does it saound like a good food to feed a Cat?, are liver, hearts and stomachs good for Cats?.

Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

Butterfleye.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being in the US, I'm not familar with Yarrah or the real meaning of "animal derivatives" as that's not a term they use on food labels here. I would guess it has a similar meaning as "by products".

But, to answer your question - yes, livers, hearts, and stomachs (aka "gizzards") are good for cats. Some of mine will eat those (plain, fresh) as treats.

My concern/question would be...If the "derivatives" are only those wholesome, desirable parts - why aren't they listed as the specific items (liver, heart, etc) instead of using the vague term "derivatives"?

When I see a vague term like that, I assume it's just the nasty undesirable stuff that went in the food. My feeling is, if it was a "good" by product, it would be named...i.e. "beef kidney", "chicken heart", etc.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this is an issue with you, as it is with me, but Yarrah also produces vegetarian pet food, so I won't buy that brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butterfleye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

When I see a vague term like that, I assume it's just the nasty undesirable stuff that went in the food. My feeling is, if it was a "good" by product, it would be named...i.e. "beef kidney", "chicken heart", etc.
That was something that I was wandering, if it is just those products and the food is supposed to be Organic why not just write that it contains those ingredients?.

Mind you I've also noticed that the Wet food contains wheat which is something I'm trying to avoid in their Wet food, I really just want a product that contains Meat and not a lot else.

Hi, jcat, I have not really thought much about the fact that they make Vegetarian Cat food, I don't believe that Cats should be Vegetarians, I'm a Vegan and whilst in my ideal World no one would eat anybody else and we'd all live off of Organic fruit and veg, that didn't cost a fortune!, that's not reality, Cats need meat, my two Cats and two Dogs need meat and love meat and that is what they have, in fact my two Dogs practically inhale raw meat, but my Cats have to have theirs cooked first!.

Any way I think I might give Yarrah a miss, I'm trying them both with two varieties of Cosma and some Almo Salmon at the moment so it's fingers crossed here at the moment.

Thanks,

Butterfleye.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I can ascertain, they've dropped the vegetarian cat food from their range, because it didn't go over at all, but are still making vegetarian dog food. Okay, dogs are omnivores, but given the choice, most are going to choose meat over grains. I was so appalled at the vegetarian cat food (a former student was working for them, and gave me some samples) that I decided to boycott any company that would come up with such an idea.

Have you tried the Schesir or Porta 21? They're similar to Almo. Miamor Fine Filets might be another one to try.