Yay typhoon time

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have experienced most of the seasons and funny weather patterns Japan has to offer, however I have never been here for a typhoon. I'm rather excited, its supposed to reach my part of Japan tomorrow.

Japan has the typical 4 seasons with an additional rainy season and typhoon season which happen between spring and summer.

In NZ we don't get cool things like typhoons etc. Also you cannot walk around in the rain wearing shorts and a tee coz its just too damn cold.
But here no problems.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was in the edge of one in Hong kong once, it was not what i would call fun.
even less cause i was living on like 20's something floor aparment and you could feel the whole buliding moving in the wind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

That would scare the tar outta me & you're excited!
Oh yeeaaah
"hey typhoon, over here"

Originally Posted by babygirl

You're happy about that??!
How strong is it?
Not sure the strength yet, I missed that part, just know that yesterday it was in Okinawa (bottom of Japan) and it should be here tomorrow

we've got the rain here at the moment and its not too warm, but can still wear shorts and Tee. All the fascinating stuff happens in all other countries except NZ and when it has happened in NZ its not been in my city.

Call me weird if you will but I am DEFINITELY excited

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh great! My best friend lives in Okinawa! Have you heard reports on how it was/is down there?
Nope I just saw the map, It reached/started in Okinawa yesterday and is meant to have traveled through the whole of Japan by the 16th if I remember correctly. I will watch the news tonight and keep you posted.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Nope I just saw the map, It reached/started in Okinawa yesterday and is meant to have traveled through the whole of Japan by the 16th if I remember correctly. I will watch the news tonight and keep you posted.
I'd really appreicate it if you can update me. I don't have international calling on my phone and she hasnt been on myspace today. Don't know when she'll answer an e-mail.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl

It was a cat 4!
I hope your friend is okay.
http://www.reuters.com/article/envir...T3632020070713
I don't know about that low possibility part in that news article the CAD that Japan showed on the news clearly depicted it travelling up the center of Japan. So I better get to see/experience it or I will be Pi**ed

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd really appreicate it if you can update me. I don't have international calling on my phone and she hasnt been on myspace today. Don't know when she'll answer an e-mail.
it may take a day or two before the lines are back up, there are only soo many ways to get to the net in that part of that world, undersea and satellites. Often stroms like that will knock out the satellites due to the amount of lighing in the air.

If you remember the tsunami from a few years ago, and later the earth quake a couple of months ago, it was sometimes weeks before i got messages from everyone. It took a month and a half, to restore the network in are location in thailand due to the lines being cut under the sea.

so if you dont hear from her soon, i would not worry HUG.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm watching the news right now, It was pretty bad at 0800. Holy crap its destroyed at least 1 house, knocked over trees, the bonnet of a car was ripped off as they were filming the news. Theres been a few landslides, more houses damaged. I think its passed through Okinawa now.
When I first watched the news it was about 0030, so had only started.
Its Very strong, but I can't work out which is stronger, today's one or the one in '04.

That probably all sounds a little weird but I was writing it whilst watching and interpreting it.

MoochNNoodles, have you tried Skype? its a very cheap computer calling thing. I use it to call NZ costs me only 2.3 NZ cents per minute.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Bruce! If I don't her from her in a few days I'll call her sister or go to her parent's house. I'm sure she's ok and I think her husband is home (he flys) so that makes me feel better too.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be perfectly honest with you all, I am worried about this typhoon reaching my neck of the woods and that is only coz of those poor stray kittens, I'm going to get my wife to come with me to see if we can find the kittens again, tomorrow. And the fact it might be reaching here before my wife gets home, so I'm worried for her,

BUT I'm still excited about the whole thing

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You remind me of a good friend who would love to be a storm chaser. i don't like driving with her in the rain as her eyes are hardly ever on the road - she is looking for lightening, etc.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I went through 2 typoons when I lived in Guam. The first thing they do when it starts getting really bad is shut down all power to protect people from falling live wires, etc. So that probably is what happened in Okinawa. Do you know if your friend had typhoon shutters on her house? They help protect the house a lot. From what I understand, most buildings there are build with typhoons in mind, so your friend is probably fine. It may just be a few days before she can get back in touch with you.

The last typhoon I experienced in 2002 was a trip! It was a super typhoon with sustained winds of 190 mph! Scary, but a rush. We made it through with only water damage in the house (from water blowing in the air conditioners). But, not something I would want to experience again. We didn't have water for 2 weeks, and no power for almost a month. I'm happy to be back in the mountains of US!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, sounds like you would like to be a storm chaser in the USA looking for tornados.