is yesterday's news flushable or no??

anooshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i'm confused. i'm reading on these forums that it is but the packaging says they "do not recommend flushing".

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very new to this kitten thing. My boyfriend, who has had many cats believes it is. But the tree-hugger in me freaked out when I saw him do it!! I keep reading on the litter bags how bad it is for the environment.

Sorry I can't really help, but as easy as it would be, I don't think I could flush it unless there was some proof its not harmful.

Brittany

PS I was under the impression that its the litter itself thats the problem, not the "news"??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anooshka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it's called "yesterday's news" by purina.
i'm just wondering whether it breaks down in the sewage and is ok to flush since it's made of paper???

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is ... it would be right on the label

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I've never used it, but I wouldn't imagine it's flush safe... it definitely would say it right on the package... plus if you think about it, shredding up your daily paper and flushing it wouldn't work too well, would it (over-simplified example, but you get it)

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing should be flushed but well... your business... because when the litter, etc gets to the treatment plant they just scoop it out and have to haul it to the landfill.

So the only reason to flush would be your own convenience, and it won't be very convenient when you have to call the plumber. Tampons say they're flushable too but we had a pipe back up and it stopped everything from draining, including the shower and sink and the toilet overflowing when you flushed it, and it was because of the 'mice' (think for a second) in the pipes.

My lease now specifically says you can't flush flushable litter.

Unless you have really powerful water/plumbing set up...

I guess people probably scoop out the poopies and flush them, with a very minimal amount of litter, and that's not different than your own. But as for actually flushing the litter, I'd say no.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I guess people probably scoop out the poopies and flush them, with a very minimal amount of litter, and that's not different than your own. But as for actually flushing the litter, I'd say no.
I did this for awhile (just flushing the poos) and it still caused a big plumbing back-up in our house, so I wouldn't avise flushing even just the poos

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anooshka

it's called "yesterday's news" by purina.
i'm just wondering whether it breaks down in the sewage and is ok to flush since it's made of paper???
excuse my ignorance lol