He needs more water, suggestions?

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, sometimes I think Frisco doesn't get enough water in his diet. Usually he drinks a dish of water a day, lately though it's only been half a dish. I understand wet food keeps cats more hydrated, but he mostly eats dry food because he doesn't like canned food. I still buy him can food because I think if he was hungry enough he'd eventually eat it, but I usually end up wasting 3/4's of the can! I was thinking maybe I could moisten his dry food by soaking it in water, what do you guys think? If you have any suggestions please tell, thanks!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy a pet water fountain. Before I bought ours I rarely saw Ping drink water. I am sure he drank some but there was never a noticable drop in the water bowl when I checked it. Then I bought a Drinkwell water fountain and he loves it. We also see him drinking water now.

Here is who I bought mine from. Pretty good prices and quick shipping.
http://litterboy.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=309&category=10

Ping gives it 2 paws up.

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could get him a cat water fountain. The moving water encourages cats to drink more because it's more fresh and "interesting" than just water in a bowl.

And, most cats can gradually learn to eat all-wet food. It takes a lot of patience, but I believe there have been some recent posts about this subject. Just do a search.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

Buy a pet water fountain. Before I bought ours I rarely saw Ping drink water. I am sure he drank some but there was never a noticable drop in the water bowl when I checked it. Then I bought a Drinkwell water fountain and he loves it. We also see him drinking water now.

Here is who I bought mine from. Pretty good prices and quick shipping.
http://litterboy.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=309&category=10

Ping gives it 2 paws up.
Thanks! I knew cats liked to drink from running water, but I never thought of buying one of those. Probably because I havn't seen any around here. He sometimes likes drinking from the tap, but he doesn't like getting his head wet!

BTW, does anyone know of any premium wet foods that are prepared similar to the Fancy Feast canned food? I used to buy it every now and then as a treat and he loves that stuff. I don't want to keep him on it because I don't trust grocery store brands, especially with the recall. I only want him on premium brands.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a store brand wet I am currently using because I have not had the money to get my preferred wet food. Right now I am feeding Natural Life Pet Products just the canned. You can get it at WalMart for .76 per 5.5oz can.
http://www.nlpp.com/cannedcatfoods.htm I give the lamb and chicken and seafood variety.

My preferred brand of wet is Eagle Pack. That went over real well. The only one he did not like was Oatmeal something. That flavor bombed but he likes all the others.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

There is a store brand wet I am currently using because I have not had the money to get my preferred wet food. Right now I am feeding Natural Life Pet Products just the canned. You can get it at WalMart for .76 per 5.5oz can.
http://www.nlpp.com/cannedcatfoods.htm I give the lamb and chicken and seafood variety.

My preferred brand of wet is Eagle Pack. That went over real well. The only one he did not like was Oatmeal something. That flavor bombed but he likes all the others.
Eagle Pack is what I have Frisco on, both wet and dry.
Maybe it was the flavour he didn't like. I'll have to experiment.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ping likes the chicken/lamb, turkey/barley, shrimp/salmon.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only bought the turkey/barley cans because he likes turkey flavour, but I'm thinking it could be the barley. I don't think barley has much taste though? It's strange how he'll barley touch it, he was never a picky eater before. He was born a feral in the woods and he would eat pretty much anything, edible or not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try different wets.... mine loved the fish in eagle pack ...

try multiple water dishes or glasses...or the pet fountain....

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's good that you want to give your cat canned food, please read this valuable website: catinfo.org -- it talks about what is the proper food to give cats because they're carnivores and they need get water from their food. It also lists what canned food brands are best.

I tried giving my cat Nature's Variety canned chicken + turkey, but he didn't really like it, so I tried Wellness canned chicken and he likes it. As an aside, I went to this website cuz my cat had a chronic diarrhea problem for 5 MONTHS and it was these two brands that cured his problem!! I was giving him Innova Evo dry food before reading this website. I had brought him to a local vet who prescribed medication and it didn't help one bit!