Max and the neighborhood turtle!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Max invited a friend over for snacks!

Simon decided he need to see what the action was all about!

The turtle did appreciate the sliced strawberries.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister had a cat that invited the local skunk to share his kibble. You always knew when the skunk had been there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very dark turtle. Are you in northern Florida? I'm thinking it might be a gulf coast box, since easterns and florida's have more yellow on their bodies. Of course there can always be unique individuals.

I love the look on Simon's face. Kind of like he was thinking "what is this thing?" or maybe "do you know we have a moving rock in our yard?"
Adult turtles can usually take care of themselves with cats, probably because they'll hiss back. It tends to spook or puzzle a cat.

Is it just a wandering turtle? It seems awfully friendly. Maybe an ex-pet.
Keep an eye on your yard for turtle nests, if you find one you can stick a tomato cage over it or something similar to keep out predators. Native Florida reptiles can use all the help they can get.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That's a very dark turtle. Are you in northern Florida? I'm thinking it might be a gulf coast box, since easterns and florida's have more yellow on their bodies. Of course there can always be unique individuals.

I love the look on Simon's face. Kind of like he was thinking "what is this thing?" or maybe "do you know we have a moving rock in our yard?"
Adult turtles can usually take care of themselves with cats, probably because they'll hiss back. It tends to spook or puzzle a cat.

Is it just a wandering turtle? It seems awfully friendly. Maybe an ex-pet.
Keep an eye on your yard for turtle nests, if you find one you can stick a tomato cage over it or something similar to keep out predators. Native Florida reptiles can use all the help they can get.
Yes. we live in the panhandle of Florida close to Pensacola. You can always find a box turtle or slider just about anywhere. The color of the box turtle is normal for this area and it was just a wandering turtle.

My DH and sons are always the people you see pulled over on the side of the road trying to save the box turtle who has decided to cross a busy street.
I have to admit I've done it on occasion as well.

I don't mind the box turtle or the sliders, I can pick them up and move them with no problem but those alligator snapping turtles are just about the scariest thing to come across. I've encountered three that needed to be removed from the street. Big suckers too!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

My DH and sons are always the people you see pulled over on the side of the road trying to save the box turtle who has decided to cross a busy street.
I have to admit I've done it on occasion as well.
Aww, good on you!

The cats seem quite bemused. Turtles make good entertainment!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I don't mind the box turtle or the sliders, I can pick them up and move them with no problem but those alligator snapping turtles are just about the scariest thing to come across. I've encountered three that needed to be removed from the street. Big suckers too!
The trick I learned for moving snapping turtles in this area (learned it from a turtle biologist) is to grab them at the back of the shell (either side of the tail). If they are small enough you can pick them up like that and move them or else just lift their back end up and you can propel them in the right direction and off the road. The back of the shell is the ONLY place they can't stretch that neck around to bite!!