Cat with no tail

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just occured to me while replying to anouther thread.

Do you think it could be why or play a big part in why Kitty is still not accepting Maisie.
Maisie came about 4 months ago now and things haven`t gone too well.
Anyone have any experience of this?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tail or no tail shouldn't be a reason not to get along
How did you do the introductions? Is the resident cat a male or female? Females tend to take a lot longer to accept new cats, especially another female. Males tend to accept anyone coming in (male or female) a lot sooner.

We've had Charlie for 6 months and Ling still doesn't accept him totally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Resident cat is a male,about 5 years old.

I did all the slow intro`s with scent swopping, Feliway spray and diffuser.
More recently I tried the vanilla trick and scent swopping again. Nothing seems to help so I just wondered if Kitty was so cross because he couldn`t read her very well.

Thing is he was a stray and recently I found out where he came from and the reason he strayed was because his owners moved out of the house next door and didn`t want him, couldn`t take him, I`m not sure. So they gave him to a guy in the house who already had a female cat. They didn`t get on and Kitty moved himself out into our garden.

So Maisie is still living in the bedroom. Kitty is still quite miffed and I`m sleeping in a cupboard to keep everyone happy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not common with males, but you have exceptions. Up to you if you want to rehome the female. Some cats just like to have everything to themselves and not share.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I would think the lack of a tail could be part of the problem. It does happen with some Old English Sheepdogs too - other dogs not reacting as we would expect them to.
That`s interesting. I know dogs and cats are completely different but both rely on body language.

Kitty has gone up to her on a few occasions with his tail straight up as if he wanted to 'greet' her. I don`t know if he`s confused by her as well as liking being an only cat.

I would rehome her if I could find the right person and home because nothing seems to be working BUT this is her 4th home in the last year at least and I wanted this to be permenant. I don`t know if I could let her go now though.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello I have a cat that has no tail and a cat that has a tail. Howler who has the tail we had him first and then we got Kera the tailess one and at first they fought and didnt get along and now they do really well together I think it just takes them time to get use to one another and the fact that any cat tailess or not comming in and taking over there space and your attention too. I hope this helps a bit

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't know how much the tail affects them getting along. Much is a Manx and has no tail. Lucy has a normal tail. Carly still has her tail, but it was damaged before we got her and it just hangs there. They get along though Lucy isn't really happy with Carly at times. But I think that she sees Carly as a threat to her position.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovinmom828

Hello I have a cat that has no tail and a cat that has a tail. Howler who has the tail we had him first and then we got Kera the tailess one and at first they fought and didnt get along and now they do really well together I think it just takes them time to get use to one another and the fact that any cat tailess or not comming in and taking over there space and your attention too. I hope this helps a bit
Thanks! It`s very interesting
I just want to understand what`s going on with them so I can sort it out. I feel bad for both of them.

Originally Posted by katachtig

I don't know how much the tail affects them getting along. Much is a Manx and has no tail. Lucy has a normal tail. Carly still has her tail, but it was damaged before we got her and it just hangs there. They get along though Lucy isn't really happy with Carly at times. But I think that she sees Carly as a threat to her position.
You know I didn`t think Kitty would feel that threatened by her because she`s quite an old lady and would have assumed he would be top cat as he`s so bolshy. Maybe it`s her tortitude coming through

I`ve been thinking about it for a few weeks now but I`m going to have a behaviourist come and visit so I can have a better idea of whats going on as things aren`t progressing.

It means taking Kitty to the vet for a check up which he will hate and I know he`s not ill but they have to rule that out and then we get reffered.
Hopefully it will just be a case of giving them more time.
Thanks

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I would think the lack of a tail could be part of the problem. It does happen with some Old English Sheepdogs too - other dogs not reacting as we would expect them to.
I train dogs and show them, also helped with a doggie daycare back in college. The tail doesn't make a difference at all, it is more so the breeding as far as nerves, confidence, and social ability goes as well as the individual dog's language skills and temperament, not the ears (drop or erect) or tail (long, short, etc.) smooshed face, long back, or even the size - dogs are dogs. Hell, I have even seen dogs missing a leg and they still get along just fine with others and act like any other normal dog.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People often like to say cats without whiskers can't sense their surroundings. This is also not true as my cat was born without whiskers and gets around really well and can sense her surroundings perfectly.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I`m sleeping in a cupboard to keep everyone happy.
sorry nothing to add except that last statement just really tickled me - I have these weird images of you all scrunched up in a cupboard trying to get some shut-eye

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

sorry nothing to add except that last statement just really tickled me - I have these weird images of you all scrunched up in a cupboard trying to get some shut-eye
Ann! How could you!

I`ve gone from this....

to this....

Oh well! One day it will work out