How can I get my cat to stop meowing for hours and then biting me when I ignore him?

avas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted this question on Yahoo! and someone suggested I repost it here:

For the first two weeks I had him, he would sleep in my bed nicely. Then he started biting me at night and, as much as I ignored him, he would just start biting harder. So I started keeping him in the bathroom, as I live in a studio apartment and it's the only other room.
Now, he will meow *all night long*. I don't want to let him out in the morning when he's meowing, I would rather wait until he stops to reward him, but I have a job and I cannot wait hours to go to work! I wear earplugs and still the sound cuts through, it's hard to sleep.
When I let him out, I ignore him until he stops meowing. But he will never stop meowing and then he starts biting me to get my attention. He'll keep biting harder and harder, I've been bitten 4 times this morning already. I just move away when he does it, or pull his chair so he has to go back on the floor and can't bite me.
My cat is neutered and has been checked out by a vet, he's healthy. I have another cat who does not behave this way.

Also, when my cat is quiet, I make sure to reward him and give him lots of attention by petting him and playing with him. He's usually calmer in the afternoons and evenings.

Please help, I love him but he's driving me crazy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our male was doing this when he was a kitten as well. I finally just broke down and got him a friend. Then later I found out that it's never really the greatest idea to get a kitten if you don't have another cat for it to play with. We couldn't really do anything to stop the meowing or the biting. We tried a lot of toys, playing with him before bed, nothing worked. So now we have two kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Our male was doing this when he was a kitten as well. I finally just broke down and got him a friend. Then later I found out that it's never really the greatest idea to get a kitten if you don't have another cat for it to play with. We couldn't really do anything to stop the meowing or the biting. We tried a lot of toys, playing with him before bed, nothing worked. So now we have two kitties!
I have another kitty, actually. I've only had her for a week. He's been acting like this for 6 weeks, so it's not a reaction to the new kitty. How long did it take before your kitty calmed down? He's 2, I forgot to mention that earlier.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds a bit to me like you're playing power games with your cat - only 'rewarding' him and playing with him if he's quiet, etc. But cats are just cats, with tiny brains (smart as they might seem sometimes) and act 99% on instinct. When he meows, he's crying for attention and it's hard to believe he freely gets what he needs if the only time he gets it is when you decide he's been good. He bites because that's one of the very few other ways he has to get attention - he can't very well sit and have a discussion with you about it after all, and I just wonder if it would be so awful if you voluntarily gave him more before he is bad, then exhausted, and finally 'good'? Try going the extra step before it's so late in the game - head him off with play time, etc. before he tires himself out crying and biting and being ignored so much. He's a cat - and not just a toy you can wind up only when it's convenient, and it would be so great if you surprised him by changing the game.

ticchick

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing, if she is wanting attention and doesn't get it she will just walk up to me and bite me and run. Especially when I was on the phone (I had a boyfriend in Canada and we would talk for 3-4 hours at a time). I read a book by this animal psychologist type person and figured out that if I gave her lots of positive attention, even when I didn't feel like it, she would not have to resort to that. It has really worked (mostly, lol). She just really needs a lot of attention and when she gets it she doesn't bite so often, although she still does bite me at night when I invade her 'personal space' in my sleep.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps try playing with him for 30 minutes before bed & for 30 minutes when you get home in the eveving?
That's about all I can think of.