The Great Outdoors -- Not so Great

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night I was playing with my kids in the front yard. I look down the street about 5-6 houses and a black cat crosses the street where my neighbor and his son (8th grade) are. I see the boy pick up the cat and flip it around a few times. Then he picks it up and tosses it. The cat is obviously extremely social because it never really runs away. Then he comes out with a golf club -- I am thinking please don't -- but he is "shooing" the cat away with it.

Next my daughter and her friend come down the street on their bikes. The cat just sits in the middle of sidewalk. So they stop and pet her (I later find out she is named "Lilly" and lives across and down the street). My daughter comes back excited telling me how sweet this cat is.

Then, poor Lilly is walking about one house away from house and I can't believe my eyes I see another black cat across the street crouched down. Sure enough, cat #2 crosses the street, follows Lilly under a tree (Lilly never saw it coming) and all you hear is cat screams. Lilly then darts away across the street.

It is so dangerous for this obviously sweet, socialized cat to be out here. We live in a very nice neighborhood with low traffic -- but all it takes is a boy who hates cats to end it all. Did I mention the two Boxers who live two houses away from Lilly? They play with dogs in the front yard (no leash -- our city has no leash law except in parks) -- even when my young kids are walking down the sidewalk across the street these dog bolt across to my kids (not in an aggresive way but still scares my 5 year old). I am sure they would chase and injure this poor cat.

I have worked so hard to socialize my cat in the last year (with limited results). Here is such a nice friendly, wonderful cat who faces danger everyday. I would never let that happen. (Mind you we had an indoor/outdoor cat growing up that lived to be 19 -- in my opinion we just didn't know any better then).

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is very sad. Sometimes one wonders, how these cats or dogs for that matter, not only manage too survive such a daily ritual, but how they still manage to stay so loving and social
It is indeed a wild and unsafe world out there, and I just always hope and pray these innocent furkitties are able too survive it, and live a wonderful life.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor dear baby! I do feel sorry for all the wonderful nice friendly cats that are treated so poorly. We had a cat outside of my highschool job, she tried to go home with everyone and I watched people kick her away from them, and ignore her. I felt bad for the poor thing because she came up and sat in the window begging me to come pet her. She stayed outside and endured all these people being so mean for 8 hours. When I got off work I took her to our farm where she still lives happily 4 years later.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO this just proves how dangerous outside is with an unsupervised cat. All it takes is one time for the cat to be in the wrong place/time (whether from a cruel dog, person, or a car).

I love my cats too much to allow them to be roaming around outside unsupervised!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO this just proves how dangerous outside is with an unsupervised cat. All it takes is one time for the cat to be in the wrong place/time (whether from a cruel dog, person, or a car).

I love my cats too much to allow them to be roaming around outside unsupervised!
Exactly! Thats so sad

I take my boys outside, but they are 110% supervised & on a collar/harness!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate seeing cats run around outside whether or not they are nice friendly cats or mean strays...either way is sad because it is very dangerous for them!

I do bring PHX outside, he has a leash and collar I put on him but he doesn't really like it that much. I bring him right outside the door and let him wander around outside on our patio SUPERVISED! I never allow him outside to play by himself. He just likes hanging out on the patio with us or rolling in the dirt.

We are getting ready to move to a new house with a fenced in backyard- I can't wait to see what PHX thinks of that! So much more room to play!!!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment-

In many other parts of the world it is not normal to not let your cat go outside. Many shelters will not adopt to anyone that plans on keeping their cat strictly indoors.

Many of our members that do not live in the US have indoor/outdoor kitties, so choose your words carefully and please do not imply that they do not care about their cats.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Just to play devil's advocate here for a moment-

In many other parts of the world it is not normal to not let your cat go outside. Many shelters will not adopt to anyone that plans on keeping their cat strictly indoors.

Many of our members that do not live in the US have indoor/outdoor kitties, so choose your words carefully and please do not imply that they do not care about their cats.
Do those place have less cars and dogs running loose?! I'm so afraid to let any of my kitties go outside! I always check to make sure the screens on the windows are tight and that the cats haven't put any holes in them. I know the minute I let my cat out it will get run over by a car or eaten by the neighbors dog!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I live in the US and have predators around me, so I don't personally let my cats out.

That is just a friendly reminder that we have many members from other countries that do not have some of the issues with predators that we do.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to share my views on this matter as I know I am certainly in the minority, as I do let all my four cats go out. I have two that are seniors and both over 13yrs of age, a toddler and a baby.

Please remember - I do not think it is wrong for people to keep their cat indoors at all, I understand and totally accept the reasons.

My stance is that they learn about dangers - maybe this would be a good question for Kelly our Cat Behaviorists - yes they get into trouble and some of you will know Miss Moofs got in a bad cat-fight, this is where I help, if she was a feral she would have probably gone blind and/or died from infection. So of course she had vet treatment. I can honestly say if it was worse and she had to loose her eye and/or died, then whilst I'd be very, very upset, it wouldn't change how I feel about letting my cats out. I have had a cat killed by a car, so I know how that feels.

I like my cats to have what I think is the best of both worlds, a bit of the wild and a bit of the home comforts.

Cats can get into skirmishes with all of all sorts animals, but this is rare as in most cases both animals would keep there distance from each other, this is how the natural world works. They also have the weapons they need for these skirmishes.

They are good at safety behaviours and will try to get up high to keep safe, or keep still, or hide if in danger. They will scent mark their territory with urine, claw marks and sometimes faeces if they feel threatened.

As for children and how they treat other peoples pets
well in such cases if I witnessed an animal being abused, I would be reporting it to the relevant authorities and speaking to the parents.

I'm going to leave it there and I am sure this issue of indoor/outdoor will rattle on for a while and I am happy to offer the other view of the debate

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a very quiet Cul-de-sac, I have lived here for many years and never seen a stray dog.
I am therefore in the fortunate position of being able to let my cats live a more natural lifestyle. They are able to play in the garden from dawn to dusk and are extremely happy and contented.
I feel sorry for those of you live in a country or an area where this is not possible, but I would never dream of saying that you love you cats less than I do because you keep them shut in all the time.
This almost constant, sanctimonious insistence that people who have indoor/outdoor donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t care about them is really getting me down.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Do those place have less cars and dogs running loose?! I'm so afraid to let any of my kitties go outside! I always check to make sure the screens on the windows are tight and that the cats haven't put any holes in them. I know the minute I let my cat out it will get run over by a car or eaten by the neighbors dog!
No they don't... many shelters in cities in Europe will not even adopt out if you say you are keeping the animal inside, it is not the norm.

My cats are allowed out supervised and on leashes, but I live in an apartment building on a main road. If I had a garden, Scully was always allowed out supervised but unleashed by his previous owners and I may let him do that again if the fence was high enough.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One more thing....my cats have gotten into worse fights in my house(they are strictly indoors) & sustained some very nasty injuries. Cats attacking cats can happen in houses as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cats that were inside/outside cats but that was long time ago or when we were living on the farm. My comment was not meant to be mean about loving your cats but the fact is that if you allow outside - then your cat should be SUPERVISED and not allowed to roam the neighborhood in other people's yards, etc.

Even on the farm, we lost cats to the highway from time to time. Most were ok roaming around; they didn't stray far as they eventually were all neutered/spayed.

I meant it as I love my cats too much to allow them out unsupervised.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about in the case of signing a legal document, similar to those of shelters about not declawing, that the cat must be allowed outside?

These are the questions used by my local shelter in London England with regard to animals going outside

Does your property have access to a garden area? YES / NO

Will the cat be allowed access to the outside? YES / NO

Do you have a cat flap installed in the property? YES / NO
If you answer no to any of them they will not adopt out. Is it not better that these cats have a home where they are allowed to roam freely than to be PTS at a shelter?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
First of all, meow meow allow me to apologize for your thread being turned into a debate. I can understand the feelings you had when watching this cat.

Originally Posted by goldenkitty45

I meant it as I love my cats too much to allow them out unsupervised.
But this is exactly the type of comment I am talking about. In saying this, you are implying that our members that live in areas where indoor/outdoor cats are the norm, not the exception do not love their cats as much as you do.

Allow me to explain where I am coming from. Occasionally this debate crops up in this forum and I receive PM's from members from countries other than the US and they are hurt that our US members think they do not care for their cats and that they are bad owners. The comments are the same or similar to what has been said here. Some have considered leaving the site. These are long-standing members that provide excellent advice. The forum rules state that we need to have tolerance for all cultures, and this includes those that allow their cats outdoors.

Could we please continue this discussion in a manner that does not imply that anyone that allows their pet outdoors is somehow a bad pet owner?

Thanks.

I will now climb off my soapbox.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

But this is exactly the type of comment I am talking about. In saying this, you are implying that our members that live in areas where indoor/outdoor cats are the norm, not the exception do not love their cats as much as you do.

Allow me to explain where I am coming from. Occasionally this debate crops up in this forum and I receive PM's from members from countries other than the US and they are hurt that our US members think they do not care for their cats and that they are bad owners. The comments are the same or similar to what has been said here. Some have considered leaving the site. These are long-standing members that provide excellent advice. The forum rules state that we need to have tolerance for all cultures, and this includes those that allow their cats outdoors.

Could we please continue this discussion in a manner that does not imply that anyone that allows their pet outdoors is somehow a bad pet owner?

Thanks.

I will now climb off my soapbox.

thank-you !!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that Europe and Australia let their cats outside. But how are we to address the issues of in or out when people come in here and ask "should I?".

In the US its strongly recommended to keep cats inside at all times and most breeders insist on it too. So if we (US) is against it, how do you come across telling the person how you feel.

IMO its far too many dangers outside. And I don't understand WHY a shelter in England would not adopt out if you don't let the cat outside. Cats do NOT have to go outside - its your decision. What about those in England that live in apartments - shelters don't adopt to those people?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I understand that Europe and Australia let their cats outside. But how are we to address the issues of in or out when people come in here and ask "should I?".
We educate them and tell them the pros and cons.

And I don't understand WHY a shelter in England would not adopt out if you don't let the cat outside. Cats do NOT have to go outside - its your decision.
The message to keep cats indoors is getting across here. If you adopt a kitten from the Cats protection they prefer that you keep them indoors, but if it's a fully grown cat that's been used to going outside they understand that you can't keep them in but that you try and have them enclosed in your garden

What about those in England that live in apartments - shelters don't adopt to those people?
Yes they do

Like i said in a thread several days ago. In an ideal world it would be great if cats were kept inside, especially those that live beside busy main roads. I also live in a quiet cul de sac, and there are a few cats here that go outside, but at the back of my house is a main road.

I like to know where my cats are and that they don't get into any fights but that's my choice.

The UK has changed a lot to when my parents had cats. Infact 30 years ago my parents nextdoor neighbour was thought as strange for keeping her cat inside!.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
In the US we still allowed cats to be declawed, while it is illegal in most civilized countries.
How can we be critical of customs in other countries? We may not agree with it, but it is done every day all over the US.

As Susan said, you can give the pros and cons of indoors only and present your opinions, but it needs to be done in a manner that is not belittling to those in countries where it is allowed.