Stupid phobias you had as a kid

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was younger I used to be afraid of BBC's Test Card F.

Don't ask why, I was a strange child. Maybe it was Bubbles with his odd gaze, or the little girl's sly smile, or the fact she's playing tic-tac-toe with a stuffed clown.

So, what were some stupid things you were afraid of as a kid?

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AHHHH I was afraid of Teddy Ruxpin...that creepy talking bear with the moving mouth that read you stories.

Also I remember being afraid of this one clown toy...it sat on the ground and you wound it up and its head moved around and played music.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was afraid of clowns..well still am, LOL...and vantriloquist dummies...and dolls with glass eyes...shoot, i think i'm still scared of all of those!!! LOL...

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

i was afraid of clowns..well still am, LOL...and vantriloquist dummies...and dolls with glass eyes...shoot, i think i'm still scared of all of those!!! LOL...
Me to! Cant stand anthing like that.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tink80

Those things never really scared me, but im scared of animated robot things. Like at Chuck E Cheese they have those weird, huge, animatronic(sp) characters on the stage singing and moving, and its creepy!!!!

OMG LIKE THIS! ITS JUST PLAIN CREEPY!

Ahhhh! there is even a video of it! gross!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember when I was quite little, I was terrified of a television ad that featured a hand coming out of the washing machine with a box of laundry detergent sitting on it's palm. For the longest time, I was terrified that the hand would come out of the toilet and grab me!!!

I've always been terrified of spiders....as a child and still today at 48. Some things never go away!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
lol most of the fears i still have. Looking in or out dark windows. What do i think im gonna see??? Fire, and tornadoes. I used to be scared of storms thunder but thats better.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Also I remember being afraid of this one clown toy...it sat on the ground and you wound it up and its head moved around and played music.
That wouldn't make it ten feet into my house. I'd freak out and lock myself in my bathroom.

BTW I'm 29. Clowns are creepy.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was afraid of toilets. Some of them seemed to flush really loud, at least to a little kid, so I was petrified that if I flushed a toilet it would break free from the wall and chase me.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clowns are creepy. I'm also afraid of large dolls, and have been ever since I saw Poltergeist as a young child (the scene where the stuffed clown tries to kill the little boy? yeah, five-year-olds should not see that scene ... taught about lasting trauma!). Oh, and masks creep me out. It's something about things with fixed features -- that's just not right.

As a little girl, I was absolutely terrified of things that implied danger or emergency. For example, my Brownie handbook had a picture with all the WHMIS warning symbols, and for some reason it scared the stuffing out of me. Likewise, I was afraid of the metal emergency escape ladder that was tucked away in a box under my bed -- it was to be used in the event of a fire, so that we could escape our second-floor bedroom. It wasn't that these things themselves were frightening, it was what they implied: the threat of impending doom.

I should probably point out that I was a very strange child. I'm not a particularly normal adult, either.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I was afraid of toilets. Some of them seemed to flush really loud, at least to a little kid, so I was petrified that if I flushed a toilet it would break free from the wall and chase me.
Hee! This reminds me of my little sister. After her first pet goldfish died, my mother flushed it down the toilet. K was convinced that Ginger (her fish) would come back up through the toilet and bite her on the bottom while she was going potty.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clowns. I still hate them..........i will never forget the "circus incedent"

Leprechauns (sp?)- thanks to my older step sister making me watch that movie

The toilet. I still remember a dream i had about the potty when i was little- i had a dream that it swallowed me up and ate me
I was quite scared of it for the longest time

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was afraid of sleeping... I'm told I'd start crying when the sun would go down. I trained myself to pretty much stop sleeping when I was about four because I had night terrors and asthma and could only wake up by screaming. I couldn't scream because I'd usually be having an asthma attack at the same time. O.K. maybe that's not a stupid fear. I can't think of much else I was afraid of after that, though.

As a kid, my husband feared that he was the anti-Christ only nobody had told him yet.

catmomof2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always thought something lived under my bed.I always use to run and jump into bed so my feet were never near the bottom of the bed.I also hate clowns do to that killer clown movie and I hate that chuckie doll

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was always afraid of having my feet uncovered in bed. I used to believe that there was a scary witch (like on Wizard of Oz) with long fingernails that would claw my feet if I let them hang out of the covers.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was afraid of thunderstorms and loud toilets (the kind you find in most public areas with the skinny flushing lever..not the common household toilet).

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember vacationing in FL when I was younger. I made my mom sleep with me the entire week because I was afraid sharks were lurking under the covers.

No, I no longer have that fear when I'm spending the night near an ocean.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Hee! This reminds me of my little sister. After her first pet goldfish died, my mother flushed it down the toilet. K was convinced that Ginger (her fish) would come back up through the toilet and bite her on the bottom while she was going potty.
ok do you remember goolies? that little green thing that came out of the toilet? I saw that movie when I was little, up untill high school, every time I would flush the toilet (after it was dark), I would slam the toilet seat and run to my bed as fast as I could