Should I clip his claws?

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a 4 month old cat from a breeder (maybe youve seen another thread about him) and decided not to declaw. Things are going well so far in terms of him not destroying my stuff. But when he is affectionate he likes to knead/paw, and if it happens to be directed at you his ridiculously sharp claws just rip into your skin even through a shirt. At night its terrible 'cause he'll go for your face. I can see why people would declaw a cat for personal reasons but I think that clipping the nails would get you darn close. What I'm worried about is will he feel the need to sharpen his claws more if I clip them, and maybe worsen some negative clawing behavior? I know to keep away from the quick of the nail, trimmed rodents and dogs nails before. I'd also consider those glue-on plastic caps, but that seems like a waste of money if a trim would suffice. What has worked best for each of you?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
actually, i do both. i clipped until they were adults [still clip, actually, because the Soft Claws require it] & when that didn't completely solve the problem, i started using the Soft Claws. you still have to clip, because an unclipped claw just pokes right thru the plastic - it's quite soft. but it helps keep them from hurting you as much as helping keep them from harming your stuff.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's an indoor cat you will need to trim his claws regularly as he will have no opportunity to wear them down by walking on hard surfaces, climbing trees etc. It's a good idea to get them used to having their claws trimmed when they're young so I'd start now whether he needs it or not. Get him used to having his paws handled (I find it easiest to do Mosi's when he's sleepy) and if you're unsure of how to do it get your vet or a groomer to show you how. You just need to trim the tips.

Scratching is a normal and a necessary behaviour for cats so rather than deterring your kitty from scratching make sure he has lots of scratching posts to use.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Scratching is a normal and a necessary behaviour for cats so rather than deterring your kitty from scratching make sure he has lots of scratching posts to use.
even declawed cats scratch (poor babies
). Scratching is a natural form of communication for kitties (paw pads leave a scent) and they need to do it. Luckily you can direct their scratching, it just takes a little work to figure out where and what they like to scratch. Some like cardboard, others rope or carpet; many kitties are vertical scratchers (think tall post) others horizontal (just put a flat box on the ground or a flat scratching mat).

Look at where kitty is scratching and make your alternative (like a post) the best option...for example, if kitty scratches the sofa, put a scratching post next to the sofa and make sure it's as tall as or taller than the part he's scratching...if they can get a better stretch on the post, they'll use it.

Also, clipping nails on an indoor kitty is generally accepted as a good idea. It will make them more comfortable and mean fewer accidental injuries for you

I only clip the front claws, the back ones seem to dull themselves even indoors. It's best to start when they're young, but I have trained adult cats to accept this as well, you just use lots of bribes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've clipped nails on kittens starting at 3 weeks old
Its the most comfortable for me. In fact, I've visited friends and relatives and if they have a cat, I wind up clipping nails on their cat too (they claim they can't do it, but I never have a problem)

Check the nails weekly and clip as needed (sometimes kittens need them done more often, especially the front ones). Play with the kitten's feet even if you are not clipping so he will be used to being touched - with or without the nail clippers in hand.

I like the scissors ones better then the dog guilitine ones. And be sure to clip the "thumb" too - the upper claw. Many people miss that one; I do mine first so I won't forget.

As far as clawing more, mine claw more WHEN they need them trimmed.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad I stumbled onto this Thread. I now have 4 indoor cats. 2 are 3 months, 1 is 4 months and the other is 8 months. I shall start too trim their claws now
as stated by others, it is best when young and also a good idea for indoor only kitties. I trim my 2 German Shephards claws regulary, as they do not have concrete too run on, so this should be a sinch right??
Wish me luck

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
All of mine get theirs trimmed, mainly to keep me from being shredded. Also, while they are good girls, every once in awhile, they might stray. So clipping just makes sure that there isn't any damage done.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to clip Riley's claws too. The only time I can do it is when he's sleeping, else he thinks its a game and tries to 'get' the clippers!

Problem is, I've never done it before and was worried about clipping too far, so have just barely clipped the tiniest bit of the tip. Does anyone know of a picture that would show what part I can actually clip?

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Success !!!! well I return from a clip session. My 3 kittens, 2 are 3 months, the other 4 months..and I have too say was easy !..I am used to clipping my dogs claws, my RagDoll already had hers clipped by the breeder, but I snipped them also, been 2 weeks. Only the front though, as JellyBella stated, the back ones may wear out naturally, although I shall keep an eye on them. My kitties were actually extremely acceptable of this, I am blessed
still got Wookie too go though, he is 8 months old , try him later in the day I feel
...I just trimmed the tip..it is unlike dog claws, where one can not see the *quick*. Kitties claws are white, so easy too see how far too go..just snip the tip off, the sharp point, you can see where the clear part is, and that is safe too clip, although I only took a bit off, because I want them too still scratch their post and what not
Most dogs have black claws, and is very hard too tell, unless you look under the nail, too look for the start spot of the nail, even then though accidents happen, and the bleeding stops with the help of salts or pressure, it is not life threatening. The breeder I got my German Shephard off...his claws were so trimmed all his little toes were bleeding !
I was NOT impressed ! but I only snip the tips now, so he wont have too endure that again !

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
When you look at Riley's claws, you should see a pink center (quick). This is a good site that shows where to clip in relation to the quick. http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm You never want to clip the quick because it will hurt and bleed. I found that if I just did a little every week, it took care of the sharp points. As you are more confident, you will trim closer to the quick.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

When you look at Riley's claws, you should see a pink center (quick). This is a good site that shows where to clip in relation to the quick. http://www.catscratching.com/htmls/article.htm You never want to clip the quick because it will hurt and bleed. I found that if I just did a little every week, it took care of the sharp points. As you are more confident, you will trim closer to the quick.
Great site, thanks! The picture helps a lot. I wasn't cutting anywhere close to the 'cut here" line in the picture
Just the tiny little tip on the very end. I'll give it another try this week. Now only if I could get him to stop attacking the hair brush!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the replies, good website w/the illustrations too. I'm going to give him a clipping in the next day or so. There are a few scratching posts around here that he likes to use, but thats obviously not enough to wear them down at all. Next to my kitchen knives his claws are easily the sharpest things in my house.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clip mine's nails weekly. Wrapping them in a towel helps

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten claws are some of the sharpest things I've ever known. Daphne (5 months) tries to eat the clippers, so I manage two or three claws each time. She cannot decide if I am torturing her or playing a game. Daffy kitty

Bless you for choosing to not declaw
Your kitty is lucky to have you

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I'll give it another try this week. Now only if I could get him to stop attacking the hair brush!
I fear there's no cure for that. Stanley loves his grooming time, but he still thinks it's fun to pounce on the comb. I just give him another one to play with. It distracts him so I can comb his back end

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I clip weekly. I usually only have to trim a few on each one, but I check all of them. The lady I got Chevy from clipped all the kittens nails to get them used to it, which helped. Summer wasn't used to it, but became a lot better about it after the first time. I occasionally trim the back claws when they appear to be way too long.

Thanks for not de-clawing!