How much $ for neuter?

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My young maine coon is 4 months old now, plan to neuter at 6 months if thats right (is it?). How much should I expect to pay, how is recovery for the cat, are my main concerns right now.

Does neutering have any known effect on the adult size of a cat? Ive head that inact males get larger and more muscular. First in mind is the health of my cat. Secondly, the smell of my place. I would put off neutering if it meant that he would grow up bigger (he comes from large parents and is BIG for a 4 month old), but I'd probably get evicted if my place smelled like a spraying cat. Insight on this? Thanks.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid I don't know prices for the US, but I have just had Bruce neutered (at 5 months) in the UK and it was £35.

He bounced back to full health immediately - ran around like normal as soon as I got him home. He licked the affected area quite a lot at first, but otherwise had no problems. He had a vet check two days after the op.

Many people on this site will advocate early neutering - it can be done as early as 8-12 weeks, and at four months it is definitely possible. However, in the UK we tend to neuter at 6 months (we're a bit old-fashioned!) and I had to try hard to find somewhere that would neuter at 5 months.

My Bruce is a Maine Coon too, and the breeder suggested waiting until 6-7 months before neutering if we wanted to maximise his growth potential - I think it's mainly the head that broadens more in an intact male than a neutered one? However, by that age you are taking a risk that he will start spraying. Bruce is now 6 months old and is still growing fast, so I don't think it makes much difference.

Hopefully some others will give their opinions.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my moggie neutered when he was six months old because my vet doesn't do pediatric spays or neuters. That was almost four years ago and it was $140.00. I paid an extra $55.00 for the pre-surgical bloodwork which I don't think is absolutely necessary for a heathy young cat. I picked him up that afternoon. He was still a little groggy and slept a lot. The next morning when I got up he was back to normal. As far as size I think the only thing that is affected is that a neutered cat doesn't develop the facial jowls that a whole cat develops. There are low cost spay neuter programs in this area and I think they are fairly common in a lot of areas. I took him to the same vet that I had been taking him to since I got him as a small kitten.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your vet will do it now, you can have him done at 4 months old instead of waiting. If he matures (mentally) early, he could start spraying; so get him done now rather then later.

Its doesn't really affect growth, except for the males will not get as big of a head (wide) as unaltered males. Sometimes they can get bigger if altered young.

Where did you get your MC? Most breeders will have them neutered/spayed before you adopt. As far as prices it should be around $50 for males. Charlie was done by the breeder, so price was included.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges $40 for a neuter. I would not wait because if he starts to spray there is a possibility he won't stop spraying after getting neutered.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My RagDoll was neutered prior too me purchasing her. Was stated in the contract, which of course I totally agree with and it also meant I did not have to do it myself. I know she will still grow into a beautiful kitty

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

My vet charges $40 for a neuter. I would not wait because if he starts to spray there is a possibility he won't stop spraying after getting neutered.
Wow! I need to come to your vet!!

When we got Harley neutered at 6months it ended up to be about $100 - neuter, updated shots, ect. - and the same for Davidson!

As far as your cat not growing big & muscular if you get him neutered too early- I think thats false. Harley was fixed @ 6 months, and he's currently a 20lb muscular cat. I think it all depends on the genetics of your cat, not on how early you neuter them.

I definately think you should get him neutered as soon as you can, because they can start spraying at anytime (when they develop) and its NOT a pleasant smell!

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest calling a fair amount of places near you to get prices. I called around and found places that charge over a hundred dollars for a neuter, and ones that charged only $25! I did the same for vaccinations. (some places were charging 3 times as much as others for vaccinations!)

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here it is $195 at my vet I've been using for years...but with taking in multiple cats at a time, I've had to find cheaper ways to do it. So another vet 15 minutes away is about $120.

brittany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you might want to check with your local humane society or animal shelter. Quite a few of ours in Washington State have low cost clinics on saturdays. The one we're going to take tsar to does shots for 10-15, neuter for 25, spay for 35 and microchip for 15. they do a first come first serve so I imagine there is a wait. But its worth saving quite a few hundred dollars.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some shelters put on low cost clinics, some also have a plan where you volunteer so many hours for a "free" neuter for your cat. The prices really range around here, I would call around.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I use charges $65 for a neuter. Pre-op bloodwork is optional, for an extra $40-45 I believe.

I don't think neutering has any effect on their size as adults. Sure, there are some physical features that a tom cat has but for overall size, I think it has no effect. I wouldn't risk putting it off myself.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

wow, i am suprised at how little it all costs!

here it cost me 200$

We had our guys neutered, one in Baltimore, MD and one in New Rochelle, NY...both were around $250 each for labwork, anesthesia, surgery, pain meds!