I chew on the inside of my cheeks

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and I can not stop!! I have been doing it pretty seriously for the past few weeks, maybe over a month. I had always done it unconsciously occasionally, but now I know I am doing it, and it is ALL THE TIME!! Anyone else do this? Any ideas how to stop?

I am almost compulsive about it now. As it heals overnight, I chew again the next day.

I'm sorry if this is gross... I need advice!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

and I can not stop!! I have been doing it pretty seriously for the past few weeks, maybe over a month. I had always done it unconsciously occasionally, but now I know I am doing it, and it is ALL THE TIME!! Anyone else do this? Any ideas how to stop?

I am almost compulsive about it now. As it heals overnight, I chew again the next day.

I'm sorry if this is gross... I need advice!
I do it and I think many others do it too. If there is a way to stop I haven't heard it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do this as well as chew on my lips. I was actually warned when I was a kid that I was at risk of oral cancer due to the extent that I chewed my cheeks. I would have white scabs and bumps on them from chewing so much. I don't nearly as much anymore, but still do it quite a bit.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it a lot more now then I ever used to. It's a blessing in disguise, though... nomally I chew my nails way more but now I chew my cheeks instead! Ick!! I wish I could stop both, but I have no idea how to.
Anyone else have an idea? I'm going to be SO embarrased when I go to the dentist....

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do it and I think many others do it too. If there is a way to stop I haven't heard it.
Ditto. I was doing it as I clicked onto this post!!!

(I'm a nail-biter also, both charming qualities...)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a bite wafer
that'll help curb your urge to chew and it'll keep you from tearing up your cheeks and risking infection.

swing by a local orthodontist office near you and ask to buy a bite wafer (they're REALLY cheap- they'd probably just give you one
)

There's an awesome practice near you in Collierville. "libby, douley, and harrison" - i think they're all still there. harrison did my braces ages ago. i used to do the same thing.

the bite wafer helped a lot though when i got the urge to chew.

mickey14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I chew too especially when I am stressed. (like now!) I don't chew deep enuff to cause bleeding though.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to chew too, I always have a lot of gum on hand

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a cheek chewer too! But only at night when I'm sleeping. Then I wake up with sore cheeks and usually develop a canker sore.

Nikki, those bite wafers sound interesting. I hadn't heard of them before.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom got a device from the drugstore, in the toothbrush area -- prevents both cheek-chewing and bruxism (tooth-grinding). And if you eat a popsicle and hold it against the swollen spot for a few seconds at a time, it will bring down the swelling and help you keep from constantly re-injuring yourself...

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely going to check some of these things out! I have a dentist appointment soon... hopefully my cheeks can heal by the time it comes up.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've probably thought of this, but can you chew gum or suck on some mints or hard candy instead? I know you can't do that constantly, but it might help some!