dead patch of skin & loosing hair

3catlewis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP. My 7 year tabby cat was hit by a car two weeks ago, fractured his pelvis and banged up his bladder, kidneys & liver. He is on clavamox twice a day + pain med twice a day. Everything is going well with that, but here is a problem that popped up on Saturday & my vet isn't sure what it is...

Atticus has a pretty large patch of dead, leathery skin on one side. What causes that & will it clear up eventually? I brush him every couple of days to help him groom, but he starting licking his back and all of this showed up. Anyone else had this happen?

We are continueing the clavamox for another week. Outside of that he is eating, using the litter box and seems pretty darn content considering everything.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Baby
Im not sure what it could and you say its dead skin? That would concern me. Did the vet see the area in person? Maybe it could have been a burn

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he seem to be grooming a lot now? Sometimes they'll "overgroom" when they are stressed...to the point that they get bald patches. I don't know about the leathery skin, though...I don't think overgrooming would explain that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catlewis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Poor Baby
Im not sure what it could and you say its dead skin? That would concern me. Did the vet see the area in person? Maybe it could have been a burn
The vet did see him in person, I go back again tomorrow. A burn would make sense except he's only been laying on my bed or in the kennel since we brought him home. It doesn't seem to bother him & the vet is sure it will eventually fall off replaced with new skin, but I've never seen anything like this & I've had cats most of my life. Thanks for your input though. Have a great day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catlewis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was all good until I combed him to remove excess hair, dandruff and dead skin flakes - the he groomed until it weeped. By the next day or so it was this lumpy mass of skin & now I can literally pull the hairs out of it with my fingers - and he doesn't notice, in fact he slept thru it yesterday. It's just freaky. Overall he is doing great considering they thought he'd need surgery or to have the leg amputated. I guess I'll wait this out. We go back to the vet tomorrow for more blood test and another B12 shot. Thanks for your help