Questions

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive made a thread like this before, but I have more questions.

What GOOD comes for the cat/dog who is spayed/neutered?
Does it change how they grow up mentally?
Does it disable them in anyway?
Is there any bad that comes from a cat being spayed/nutered?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

1. It stops the unnecessary homeless animals
2. Not that I think...
3. No.
4. No.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

1. It stops the unnecessary homeless animals
2. Not that I think...
3. No.
4. No.
No, besides unnecessary homeless animals, what good comes to the pet itself? behavior wise...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are absolutely no cons that I can think of.
Aside from the over population issues, when you alter a pet, you eliminate the risk the uterine and testicular cancers, you reduce the risk of mammary (and in dogs prostrate) cancer, you eliminate the risk of pyometra.

Behaviorally?
You eliminate the urge to break loose desperately searching for a mate, which leads to other problems like cars, inhumane people, predators, and comunicaple diseases.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good is longer and healthier lives. Unspayed males and females are at higher risks for cancers if not bred. That's why breeders let the females breed for only a few years, then spay them and let them live stress free.

Being in heat, having litters, nursing kittens is a lot of stress on a cat, so when spayed/neutered it eliminates that part. Same with males. Unneutered males only have ONE thing on their minds - to get to a female and breed her. They will fight anything and anyone to do it.

Unneutered males have to be caged as they will spray and mark their territory. Stray males will be in constant fights, get infections, hurt, etc. and therefore are at risk for many diseases.

People have to stop thinking as animals having emotions like a person - cats don't care if they have kittens or not, so if spayed/neutered young, they don't even know what they are "missing".

There is no disabilities in spaying and neutering.

And the only "bad" thing would be if the kitten turned out to be a top show cat and you could not breed it to produce another top winner...but that's not a reason to keep a kitten from being spayed/neutered

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my friends keeps telling me its cruel to scoop out a pets insides because they were here before us, and who cares if cats become over populated because theres tons of sick, dying people on the streets, and its unnatural for them and they will mature differently because of lack of hormones. I dont really know how to change her mind on this.

she was also the one who told me that declawing your cats is a GOOD thing, go figure.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

You received some excellent answers in your last thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131427

Have you shared that information with your "husband" ?
YAY! there is my thread. Yeah, I shared it with my "husband".....his opinion still stands, now im trying to educate my friend, gar.

they dont care though, they say "thats how a cat is meant to be".

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to remember that it's GREAT that your spreading the information around... but you can't FORCE someone to think the way you do. The more you push the idea that they are wrong- the more they will stand firm with their opinion. All you can do is educate them and let them decide for themselves what they think is right. Get them books, print outs off the Internet, brochures for neutering/spaying, etc. Good luck!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One of my friends keeps telling me its cruel to scoop out a pets insides because they were here before us, and who cares if cats become over populated because theres tons of sick, dying people on the streets, and its unnatural for them and they will mature differently because of lack of hormones. I dont really know how to change her mind on this.

she was also the one who told me that declawing your cats is a GOOD thing, go figure.
Yeah, the vets, responsible breeders, and loving pet owners are in on a big conspiracy to harm their animals by altering them!
Sigh!

It didn't change my kitty as bit, she was over 1 when she had the procedure done, and her personality remained exactly the same - minus the annoying heat cycles. The animals that I am not currently showing get altered, and it doesn't change their personality. Some males may grow a bit more leggy is fixed at a young age as far as maturity goes, but every dog is different.

I love the argument "it is unnatural" for them...like "natural" means better. It doesn't always mean that at all.
It isn't natural for me to trim my dog's nails, give them bathes, take care of their health care needs, give them their shots, heartworm, brush them, feed them on a consistent scheduled basis, buy them toys, give them treats, provide them with bones and daily walks, and so on but it has to be done.
Doggie daycare isn't natural, but it is good for most dogs to socialize and get exercise. Collars, microchips, and tattoos aren’t natural, but they protect the dog from becoming lost. There are lots of examples of things that aren’t natural but are not the same as “bad”.

Declawing your cats isn't natural - so your friend's argument about natural doesn't hold up!

Also, there isn't much natural left about domesticated dogs, they are pets and working animals, they have many jobs and purposes, they have bred by people for many years - some breeds are so unnatural they can't even give birth or breed naturally, they need vet assistance.

I hope your friend doesn’t own animals at all, since it is not “natural” to own animals, in the nature they would be found in the wild (not even possible today without dangerous consequences for our pet dogs and cats)

As far as the homeless on the streets, I would hope your friend is compassionate enough to see the bigger problem here and is not just making excuses. Maybe your friend should go work for a shelter because hundreds of loving, sweet, adorable cats are dying each month in this country and it is painful to see.

There are so many wonderful people on this board that help the problem, are committed to rescue, and take in kitties in need, alter them, and make sure they don't create more unwanted kitties or kitties that have to lead a hard life all due to someone not caring.

Wish more people were like that
People can make a difference,
humans do have the ability to help the overpopulation problem, every little bit helps. I hope you continue to educate your friends and family, it really does matter, and what knowledge you give can not only transform them, but the others they tell as well. Keep it up!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I love the argument "it is unnatural" for them...like "natural" means better. It doesn't always mean that at all.
exactly. 'natural' for people is: no birth control, no electricity, no prepared foods [frozen, canned, etc]. is this the way she lives? does she have a child a year?
basically, spay/neuter is birth control for animals. they can't be responsible enough to take oral contraceptives/use barrier methods, etc. like people do/should. she's anthropomorphizing here - people do it a lot.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1. I don't know too much with the males, other than calmer behavior generally, but I do know that female animals (cats, dogs, guinea pigs) are prone to ovarian cysts naturally.

2. Not really, just maybe a hyper animal will be slightly calmer.

3. Unless the vet screws up the surgery, no.

4. See #3

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Your friend needs to be educated indeed. Have her come on here for a couple hours and we will help her understand the pros of spaying/neutering and the cons of declawing.

In response to your questions, even though it might seem cruel to have your cats fixed, it's for the best. Not only does it stop the cat from trying to get away and possibly subjecting itself to injury, but it also saves other cats from dying of homelessness and disease. And when a male cat is neutered, there is a much less chance of him spraying and therefore less that you have to clean up.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

it helps the pet overpopulation and it stops the dog or cat from getting mammary gland cancer or any other illness. we had a dog named Bonnie Blue that was 9 months when we got her nobody ever spayed her and she got mammary gland cancer and she is fine now. so it is very, very important to fix your animals unless there is a health problem like a stage 3 heart murmur and what not. it also keeps them from getting pyometra.

No. they don't even know what has happened to them any how.

No.

no. rarely ever does a cat or dog die from being fixed.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Have you even read any of the info on this site? There are several members that have put ALOT of helpful info on here about why it is important.
Maybe you need to visit a shelter, where they are having to put animals to sleep because they don't have enough room for new babies.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you made a thread like this already, then why are you making another? You recieved a lot of information in that other thread & it seems like your 'friend' has the same thinking as your husband does. Why not just show her the information given to you in that thread, rather than upsetting people with making ANOTHER thread with the same topics?

Do some research on the site, there is SO much FREE infomation here that could help anyone out.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think probably you're going to get basically the same answers here as you did more or less on your other thread.

However, I will disagree with the answer that it doesn't change their personalities...or their mentality. It *does* in that they never develop the undesirable traits that come with going through sexual need and ..well, for lack of a better term.. aggression. It changes their personalities in that.. it keeps their personalities from changing. The kitty that you get and know as a kitten, *will* be an entirely different cat if you don't alter them. Their personalities do change if they're not altered, usually, from a kitten, as they grow into adulthood.

Now, as to your friend who thinks it's horrific to scoop out their insides because that's the way nature intended them, but not horrific to scoop out half of their paw, which takes immensely longer for them to recover from and is horribly, horribly maliciously painful to the animal... tell her to read this on what declawing actually is:

http://www.declawing.com/

Well, I can't find the original link on the declawing that I was looking for, but honestly, just do a search here... there was at least 25 pages of threads on declawing.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What good comes from it? no more unwanted pets that have to take a permanent sleep, because they are an inconvenience.

They become mellow, and more affectionate toward you. Thats the only mental type changes that I can think of.

It doesn't disable them in any way.

Question 4 can be answered by question 1. The bad part is unwanted cats that take a permanent nap.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She says we shouldnt alter them to "suit our needs". And if we dont want the cat to be natural like nature intended then you shouldnt have a cat. And that its unfair to the cat.

But shes stupid for thinking declawing is "ok", im not sure where she comes off saying that.