Ways to get money fast? Need advice badly.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a really long story... I'll give more details if anyone asks. We've already had major trouble coming up with enough money for school. Our credit is too bad for loans, so is my mom's, and my mother and father-in-law won't cosign for a loan or help us out in any way (they could, they just don't like me).

I was in a car accident last October. Apparently, I was uninsured. I didn't make the payment one month (I had it automatically deducted) and I get dropped. I had no idea I was dropped. My payment was only a month late, I thought I'd get calls before they dropped me. Anyway, so now the insurance of the other driver wants $16K. There goes me finishing school.
I don't have any idea how we're going to pay this unless we file bankruptcy.

I really need a hug. I feel like my life is over right now.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh honey, i am so sorry!! (((((((( hugs))))))))))

the other persons insurance should have a clause called " uninsured motorist" and its usually about $25k. Tell them to go after that FIRST. then , their insuance company can go after you, but only after deciding who pays first.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

oh honey, i am so sorry!! (((((((( hugs))))))))))

the other persons insurance should have a clause called " uninsured motorist" and its usually about $25k. Tell them to go after that FIRST. then , their insuance company can go after you, but only after deciding who pays first.

And:

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And something sounds weird to me about them not deducting it even though you had it set up to come out automatically. Shouldn't the insurance company have some liability with that. I mean it was there mistake right?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf once was in a car accident (not his fault) he was uninsured and also had no license (was suspended). Due to the fact that the lady had endangered him (her fault) he took her to court, her insurance company covered what he won in his (suing) case (which wasnt much for the sole fact that he wasnt insured and also for not having a license)... I would contact a lawyer and set up a consoltation to see what your options are if you havent already...

I too have had my insurance cancelled for missing one months payment, which was odd because I missed a month, was still receiving monthly bills, and paying them... Apparently I was making payments for nothin considering I had no insurance, and they were still cashing my checks anyways (had to pay over $300 to have my insurance reinstated)... I know it makes no sense, I missed one bill and continued to make payments monthly (since they were billing me) yet I had no insurance???? I hope things look up for you and I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

And something sounds weird to me about them not deducting it even though you had it set up to come out automatically. Shouldn't the insurance company have some liability with that. I mean it was there mistake right?
Yes and no. I just didn't have the money in my account, and I was in the negative at the time, so my bank wouldn't let the transaction go through. It was the first time it had happened for my car insurance. But, four weeks or so later (I thought they'd just retry the transaction, but they only tried again once a couple days later when I thought I had the money but didn't... I forgot about the ordeal and didn't think to make sure everything was okay, I assumed I'd get a call if it wasn't), when I had the accident, they had dropped me already. I was clueless. I had no idea I didn't have coverage. So, maybe it was outlined somewhere in the contract that if that happens, they have the right to terminate me. If that's the case, I'm up a creek.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww sweetie I'm so sorry

Surely this sort of thing happens, and the insurance company has some sort of way of dealing with it that doesn't involve you going bankrupt!!!

Have you spoken to the other insurance company about your options?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hate money! It causes nothing but problems! I'm sorry for what happened, I'm sure your upset about the insurance company and such. I would find a legal agent to talk to about your situation. They always know more about these sorts of things than the average person. Hopefully they could help you.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be up to the state you live in, but I thought there was a 30 day grace period before insurance could be cancelled and they have to notify you in writing. Check with your state's insurance commission/board or your agent. This info should also specified in your policy.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I really hate money! It causes nothing but problems!
I've said the very same thing a million times. Although it's really not money itself... it's the way businesses connive and contrive to cheat you out of it at every opportunity.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

It may be up to the state you live in, but I thought there was a 30 day grace period before insurance could be cancelled and they have to notify you in writing. Check with your state's insurance commission/board or your agent. This info should also specified in your policy.
I believe that is for a company choosing to cancel a client.
In this case, failure on the part of the client to pay on time is considered to be the client cancelling the coverage. And that's the argument they will use. There are any people who take out insurance just to renew their tag or driver's license and then they cancel it. It's done daily.

Insurance companies are not in business to pay out claims (true of all types of insurance). That's why they will always try to get the other company to pay the claims. and they are slow in paying out, in hopes you will forget (yeah, right). The uninsured motorist portion of the coverage is not one they will willingly use.

I wish you good luck Godiva. I know that you can donate blood, plasma and platelets for some cash - not sure how much or how often. My college age daughter does it for extra spending money.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the uninsured motorist coverage on the other guy's policy. What did the other insurance company ask for -a check for 16K-do they think people have that kind of $$ laying around?? How was that $ figure established??
I would also find out about you insurance laws regarding cancellation for non-payment in your state. Do you have overdraft protection for your checking account??

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does seem very odd that they would cancel your insurance just like that. I have missed up to 3 payments in a row (wasn't aware that there wasn't enough funds left) they didn't do anything not even contact me, I just noticed it out of the blue, so I just made sure there was $ in there for next time. Just after that I had to make a claim and no worries.

I would contact a legal advice service and see what can be done. Sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick.

Hope you can get it sorted.

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow that sucks

If your super desperate for money, sell your eggs or submit yourself to some lab testing o_o I heard on tv you get money for it.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've considered selling my eggs, but only the skinny girls without a history of depression are in demand.

I'm always checking the universities nearby to see if they need trial subjects, but I usually don't qualify for one reason or another. I don't to give blood either.

My husband suggested I find a sugar daddy.
Any takers???

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

I've considered selling my eggs, but only the skinny girls without a history of depression are in demand.

I'm always checking the universities nearby to see if they need trial subjects, but I usually don't qualify for one reason or another. I don't to give blood either.

My husband suggested I find a sugar daddy.
Any takers???
haha wow, picky picky!

ummm... ummm....sell your organs? LOL

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything works out for you, I would check with the other guy and see if he had the uninsured motorists insurance, we have it.

Sending you some hugs from Mississippi

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
According to some sites I found, unless they reject the uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage, it's automatically included in their policy in the state of Indiana.

Please contact a lawyer, and learn your rights. Don't be bullied into paying if the others have that coverage!!!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized that their insurance company and my insurance company are the same one. Does that change anything? Seems like it shouldn't... we do plan to talk to a lawyer soon. We missed the Bar Association's free advice days for this month, though.