Breeders finding strays

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder but I do show. I do care for strays when I find them. I recently found a sickly kitten. I have been told by other breeders I will need to harden my heart and not take in the strays. Is this what you breeders do? Am I putting to much risk to my cats even if I isolate the stray? What do you if you find a stray?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would say if there healthy and spayed / nuetered, why not? makes no sense to me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because most breeders have full breeding cats (males/females) its kinda risky bringing in strays. Even if isolated and they have young kittens, there could be a risk of passing something to the adults or the kittens.

Since you have no breeding cats, and if you isolate the sick stray and eventually have a clean bill of health, then I see no reason you can't adopt the stray.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I personally would not bring in strays. Although, they may seem healthy they could be carriers. I don't bring in any cats without 3 weeks of quarantine and viral screenings. It's amazing how fast certain illnesses will spread.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have stopped collecting strays. But on the odd occasion of when I do, especially when I see the perfect HHP show cat which someone has placed an "order" for (look up Yuki on my threads in Fur Pics for example), I do have an area in my home that is considered the quarantine station. However, nothing has stopped the neighbourhood cats from visiting!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand where everyone is coming from, completely, but I have to say I am like Kitykize, my heart cannot turn them away. We have a quarantine area, so that the health doesn't affect our others, and it goes straight to our vet for everything from vaccinations to altering. If it is a cat that I feel can be rehomed, I find a perfect home, if it is so feral that it can't be indoors, I take it to a 50 acre farm, so they are away from the busy streets and highways.
It has always been a personal opinion, that if one is going to breed, one should also rescue. I suppose that doesn't always have to be hands on experience, but helping to support your local shelter or rescue through finances or by helping to bring supplies that the shelter may need, such as food, or litter. I also think that if a kitten/cat is in need, I am not one that can look away. I suppose over time, maybe my heart will thicken, but I pray that the day never comes.
I do want to mention, this is not directed to anyone, this is just my own personal feelings of a true and true animal lover, who doesn't have a lot of common sense, when it comes to seeing an animal in need, just a reflex goes off that says, " I must".

It is normal to not bring in a stray, to infect other cats, but I do feel there are many avenues we can choose to help, without bringing the stray into our home.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rescue is a different story for me at least. I'm considered purebred rescue over here. Even then, the rescue stay at the vets (on my dime) until re-homed. I do, however, attempt to educate and thankfully some of that is taking. My home is big, but it's not that huge - I really can't afford (if that's the right word) to have too many strays in my home - especially with 2-3 entire females in my cattery. I do support the local TNR programmes (at least, those that I trust) though and unfortunately for me, that's about all I can do for now....

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Rescue is a different story for me at least. I'm considered purebred rescue over here. Even then, the rescue stay at the vets (on my dime) until re-homed. I do, however, attempt to educate and thankfully some of that is taking. My home is big, but it's not that huge - I really can't afford (if that's the right word) to have too many strays in my home - especially with 2-3 entire females in my cattery. I do support the local TNR programmes (at least, those that I trust) though and unfortunately for me, that's about all I can do for now....
Then you are doing a wonderful thing, and are still helping in a way that is best for you, and your cattery. ((( Hugs ))) for all you do.!!

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

I understand where everyone is coming from, completely, but I have to say I am like Kitykize, my heart cannot turn them away. We have a quarantine area, so that the health doesn't affect our others, and it goes straight to our vet for everything from vaccinations to altering. If it is a cat that I feel can be rehomed, I find a perfect home, if it is so feral that it can't be indoors, I take it to a 50 acre farm, so they are away from the busy streets and highways.
It has always been a personal opinion, that if one is going to breed, one should also rescue. I suppose that doesn't always have to be hands on experience, but helping to support your local shelter or rescue through finances or by helping to bring supplies that the shelter may need, such as food, or litter. I also think that if a kitten/cat is in need, I am not one that can look away. I suppose over time, maybe my heart will thicken, but I pray that the day never comes.
I do want to mention, this is not directed to anyone, this is just my own personal feelings of a true and true animal lover, who doesn't have a lot of common sense, when it comes to seeing an animal in need, just a reflex goes off that says, " I must".

It is normal to not bring in a stray, to infect other cats, but I do feel there are many avenues we can choose to help, without bringing the stray into our home.
I have to say I can't turn them away either. I just found 3 3 or mabey 4 day old kittens with out mom (found her in the road, so she wasn't comming back for them) I have them and will care for them as though they were my purebred kittens I raised. They are now about 2 weeks all have their eyes open and are the cutest little darlings! I couldn't leave them to die and I couldn't send them to the shelter they need constant care and wouldn't get it at a shelter unless they were fostered out. I will raise them untill they are 10-12 weeks get their shots and alter them before adopting them out.
I have also taken home cats/kittens from the shelter to foster when I worked at the shelter. I know it can be dangerous for my cats/kittens, but I don't have the heart not to.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

That's how I am as well... If I see a stray (cat/dog/whatever) my instinct is "help them NOW" and in my heart I can't stand to leave them there. I always quarantine and get them to the vet asap for blood tests and etc to make sure there is nothing they can pass on to my pets of course. I usually end up fostering the pet until I can find a good home, but in situations where I am unable to do that I either find another "foster home" or a rescue group to help.