What do you do to keep your cat from chewing wires and such?

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an entertainment center with tons of wires and electronics valued at over $5000. Not only do I not want my stuff destroyed, but I also don't want to come home one day and find the cat dead.

I have already covered the wires as best as possible with wire loom and zip tied the loom together. However, there are some wires that are simply impossible to cover (they are too close to the device, etc).

Slowly the new kitten is making her way into the living room and spends the entire time climbing all over the entertainment center (this really doesn't matter) but then that leads to scratching at the TV, chewing wires, etc.

I read that aluminum foil is the best solution but she couldn't care less about it. She seems to like it even more because it's shiny (she loves to play with shiny objects). Even the "dull" side is enough to catch her attention.

I have seen several products online (like this: http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2/shpsearch.asp) and others similar. What do you use?

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had this kitten and puppy chew spray that i would spray on wires or where they scratch iv just used the last of it and have to get some more, but i forget the name of it now. but it worked wonders but it does smell a bit.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spray some Bitter Apple spray on wires (like stereo, computer, telephone) - works well for us - especially for kittens. If you own pets, you need Bitter Apple Spray

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I spray some Bitter Apple spray on wires (like stereo, computer, telephone) - works well for us - especially for kittens. If you own pets, you need Bitter Apple Spray
I looked for that, but could only find Bitter Apple spray for dogs at my petsmart. Is it ok to use the same one for cats? Or is it a different formula? I think it was Grannick's bitter apple for dogs.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't get your link to load.

Stimpy just grew out of his chewing. Same with Raven. I lost a set of headphones and a couple phone cords, but nothing major. Stimpy still likes to chew on books & cardboard occasionally. I have a paperback novel that 1/3 of it has bite marks all the way through.

You could try bitter apple spray. I've also seen products that look like aquarium air tubing that goes around the cords.