Mystery Shoppers?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anybody here do work as a " Mystery Shopper" ?

I jsut got my first job as one, to evaluate the moneygram at a local Wal-Mart.

the company that is doing it is this one....

http://www.corp-evaluation.com/

does it look legit? i woudnt mind doing it as they pay well and upfront. they sent a check for expenses with the job information.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend did it for a while and she liked it. Did you try to look the company up online @ the Better Business Bureau?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i looked it up online, and checked there website. i remember applying too, just wasent sure how it all worked.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my friend did it she was paid after she completed the assignment, she had to submit receipts if she went to a restaurant or movies and then she got paid.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone explain to me what a Mystery Shopper is? And what they do? I've only seen those weird signs about it but it never said what they did. Frankly, I thought they were like undercover police to make sure people don't shoplift or something along those lines.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mystery shopper just goes to a place of buisness and acts as a regular customer. They evaluate their experience there and get paid for their time. I think anybody can be one. I think its a great idea.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should apply I have much experience in shopping!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds a touch fishy ... due to saying they pay you first and then they have a payment deduction system if something is missing...

I have mystery shopped for many companies .... I usually wait an ave of a month to six weeks to be paid or reibursed depending on type of shop....

Yes you can get paid to shop..Sometimes you get paid other times they reimburse you and yet others you get paid and reimbursed
.. In the last to weeks I got paid to shop two big stores
.... My last oil change was a shop

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My hubby gets the BBB newsletter and last issue was a notice to watch out for a scam involving these types of businesses. If this company has issued you a check prior to you making any purchases and submitting receipts, then you could be accidentally depositing a phoney check. You will be liable for all the charges and fees and hope and pray that the company doesn't make you send them the balance or your account could be in jeporady. If I were you, I'd call the BBB to see if the company is legit.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i checked the BBB, and they said that havent had any problems with this company, but dont have alot of info on it either.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

Anybody here do work as a " Mystery Shopper" ?

I jsut got my first job as one, to evaluate the moneygram at a local Wal-Mart.

the company that is doing it is this one....

http://www.corp-evaluation.com/

does it look legit? i woudnt mind doing it as they pay well and upfront. they sent a check for expenses with the job information.
not to alarm you, but they SOOO just had a story on our local news last night about a lady who did this (and she DID check to see if the company was ledgit and all) and it was a scam. I would be very cautious.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was (is?) a mystery shopper. Usually she sent in the receipt and they reimbursed her. It does seem fishy to me too that they prepay you, obviously a lot of people would cash the check and not to the shop.

I hate this whole idea. No offense, I would love to be one too, but my manager and my job to some degree lives and dies on what these mystery shoppers say. And some of them are just plain nuts. We had one call in and say they were a mystery shopper, we've had one show up 5 minutes before close (you aren't allowed to do that), etc. Some are rude to you just to get you to react, some grade really harshly but their justification doesn't sound like it deserved that grade.

People literally freak out over these evaluations, and I can see why corporate wants them done, but really sometimes people get unfairly punished over these things. That gripe is more with my managers than with the actual people doing the mystery shopping... but one completely subjective thing every few months and suddenly our hours are cut, people are fired, etc (she gets big bonuses for having good shops, and if she doesn't she cuts the budget big time). And no, I've never been mystery shopped.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for that!!!

I sent a email to a watchdog group for mystery shoppers, and am going to wait on their reply as well.

Thanks to all that replied, it helped!

anniecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The check they sent you is probably fake. If you wait, your bank will tell you that. Do not send these people any of your money using MoneyGram.

This is a scam!!!

Take a look at domain information on corp-evaluation.com at http://samspade.org/whois/corp-evaluation.com

This says the domain was created July 7, 2007.

corp-evaluation.com says they started in 1998.

There is a blog about mystery shopper scam at http://www.consumerkarma.com/blog/2007/07/phony-check-scammers-target-mystery-shoppers/

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter in law and sister are both mystery shoppers. The DIL has been doing it for years, and she gave my sister info on which ones are good/legit to do business with.. You can also become certified, it costs 15 dollars, but companies will use you more. They mystery shop banks, restaurants, bars, Starbucks, all the chains really. It does take time, effort, gas/car to get there and a written report after the visit. They can be very demanding about the reports and choose shoppers by certain demographics. You certainly won't get rich, but it's a nice way to add extra income. Make sure you can control your shopping impulse as you do these mystery shops or you can end up in the red on these. Be smart and careful about the companies you do business with. I'm sure there are scams, but there are legitimate ones also.
~Rhonda

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i filled out an application for Service Intelligence. thanks for posting that link, catlover19!