I just don't understand some people (vent)

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad and wish I could help.

About a month ago an old friend of mine died. He was like an uncle to my kids. Well his best friend that was also his room mate is my second ex husband.

He told me about a week ago that the owner of the house, which was my friends step dad, wanted to get the two cats that my friend had declawed. I talked to my ex about how bad declawing is and he was shocked and agreed they would not be declawed.

Well now the owner insists that either the cats get declawed or they have to go. I can't imagine how these poor cats feel. First their owner dies and now they are going to be booted out of the only home they have ever known. They are both older cats. I think like 8 and 9. I am not entirely sure but they are not young kittens. One is the sister of my Gizmo.

My ex said that the brother of my friend that died is looking for homes for them and may have someone to take them but I still feel rotten.

I am at my limit (WAY OVER) and I can not take them. I really wish I could. I wish there was more I could do.

I am so angry at this man for acting this way. I know it is his house but he let his step son live there for years and years with those two cats and his dog. He came home (he lives in Hawaii) to Ohio at least once a year and stayed at the house every time. He always came for several weeks. Now out of nowhere he is complaining about damage the cats have caused by clawing at the doors/walls.

I have been to the house on and off and I never noticed any damage but then I was not looking for it either. I think it is just an excuse to get rid of the cats. I don't understand how he can be so heartless. If it was me I would want to hold on to those kitties forever and ever.

I just don't get some people

I guess I just need to vent. I wish there was more I could do.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I hate people like that too! I wish them good luck to come up with a solution... and I hope the solution is NOT declawing!
Keep us updated whether or not the cats find homes... I hope so!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a jerk. Have the cats been clawing up things?? That would be the only logical exucse for wanting them declawed. I'm not even sure that it's safe to declaw an older cat. I can only imagine all the problems they may get. Poor kitties. I wish there was something that could be done.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talk to him about SoftClaws! You could even offer to put them on the kitties yourself, if he won't have a vet do it...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you can predict the next step, as well, expecially since they're older cats.... he'll get them declawed, then they'll start eliminating in inproper places, so he'll want them gone for that reason.
i think this guy just needs to re-home these furchildren. he doesn't sound like the type to go to the trouble of using the Soft Claws - he's just looking for an excuse to get rid of the cats.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think this guy just needs to re-home these furchildren. he doesn't sound like the type to go to the trouble of using the Soft Claws - he's just looking for an excuse to get rid of the cats.
I agree. So he's moved in now permanently? Sounds like he just doesn't like the cats and wants them gone.
I really hope a good home is found where these cats can go together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I agree. So he's moved in now permanently? Sounds like he just doesn't like the cats and wants them gone.
I really hope a good home is found where these cats can go together.
He is not moved in. He owns the house but lives in Hawaii. He only comes to Ohio once sometimes twice a year. He stays at the house for several weeks and then goes back to Hawaii.

He has done this for many years. His step son Dave and my ex lived in the house and paid this idiot rent to live in the house and to maintain the yard and stuff.

Also this is only a two bedroom home and when he did visit my ex had to give up his room for several weeks so this idiot could had a place to sleep. Yeah I don't get that either. If I am paying rent I sure as hell ain't giving up my room.

These cats have been there for years as well and he never complained about them ever until Dave passed away.

They have decided to rehome them as my ex that still lives there does not want them to be declawed.

I am sure he will find an excuse to get rid of the poor dog next.

They are also indoor/outdoor cats so declawing is also not an option.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, my condolences. Losing a close friend is hard.

Second, maybe the best solution would be for your ex to find somewhere else to stay. It sounds like he is trying to force him out. It could be that he's thinking of selling the property and is now nitpicking enough in hopes that he won't have to evict him?

When it comes to declawing, if it was between keeping the cats in a home that they are used to and are happy in, or trying to relocate them to strangers, I would say go ahead and have them declawed (I know it's a nasty procedure but so is rehoming cats especially at that age), but since you said they are also outdoor kitties that is out of the question.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution that keeps the cats intact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Second, maybe the best solution would be for your ex to find somewhere else to stay. It sounds like he is trying to force him out. It could be that he's thinking of selling the property and is now nitpicking enough in hopes that he won't have to evict him?
I agree. I don't know why he insists he wants to stay there. I have told him several times that paying $600 a month for basically a room and having to pay utilties as well was a complete rip off. Not even counting being kicked out of your own room for 3 to 4 weeks a year so the owner can sleep in your room.

He has no other items in the house other than his bedroom. Everything was owned by Dave.

He was not allowed to have friends over or use the rest of the house in any other way other than to sleep in his room, watch tv in the garage, use the bath/laundry facilites and cook once in a blue moon.

I think my ex is going to put up with anything that Tom throws at him just to be able to stay.

I would not be surprised if once Tom returns to Hawaii he tries to start court proceeedings to have him evicted. He never wanted my ex to move in but Dave pushed him into it because my ex was his friend.

I just hope they find good homes for the cats and I hope that Tom does not also come up with some reason the dog must go as well.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a horrible situation. Those poor litties are probably having a difficult time adjusting anyway. Now to have to face this. It is heartbreaking!