Homemade Food for Pukers?

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I switched from dry to wet food, which really cut down on the vomitting! Now my Sunny has started throwing up his food, not daily but maybe once a week. He hairballed last week, so I don't think that's the problem. Should I try making homemade food?? Does anyone have any recipes for sensitive tummys, or any other suggestions??

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I understand correctly, he was vomiting daily before but now on wet food it happens once a week...is that correct?

Does he vomit right after eating or much later?

What brand & flavor of food is he eating?

How often does he get hairballs? Pretty regularly?

How old is he? Have you asked the vet about this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, both cats used to throw up a lot on dry food, I also used to leave it in their bowls all day - I figured they were eating so much dry food, that it would expand like rice when it hit their bellys and they would throw up because it was too much food.
I am now feeding them each 1/3 can of Friskies (the kind that looks like potted meat, not cuts) twice a day. I get various flavors.
He doesn't get hairballs really regular, just every once in a while.
He turned 7 this January.
I have not called the vet about this. When I asked her about it before, she said that it was just something cats do sometimes - after she examined him..or was it Molly...
Actually, I fed him a few treats after he threw up this am, he was hungry! I thought if he kept that down I would feed him again...he just puked those up too.
i may end up calling the vet anyway...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please call the vet and ask for a senior panel ...

You may also need a better quality of food ... I will gladly put up some suggestions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please call the vet and ask for a senior panel ...

You may also need a better quality of food ... I will gladly put up some suggestions
What do you mean a senior panel??

When I was cleaning up his last vomit, it has little clumps of hair too...so I gave him some hairball tx. His appetite isn't affected, he's obviously hungry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is a blood work up ... his vomitting could be something related to age..