TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › And the fur was FLYING!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

And the fur was FLYING!

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
For some reason, last night was free-for-all night with the kits.

Ferris and Penny got into it together, Ginger and Penny got into it together - I watched Penny chase Ginger into and out of the kitchen, and with her razor sharp claws, she took a swipe at Ginger's retreating back and a HUGE clump of fur flew through the air! (Penny has already left an inch-long set of three claw-mark scars on Ferris' right shoulder; I think she wants to give Ginger one to match! )

I don't know WHAT the problem was, but I was worried for a little while. I don't know if it was redirected aggression on Penny's part or what, but she was the one being the most aggressive, with Ferris a close second.

He kept trying to bite her on the back of the neck and mount her. She's just NOT going to allow that to happen.

I'm starting to wonder if Penny thinks that she should be the main Alpha kitty because she is the only Bengal and therefore is simply superior to the mere moggies.

I got so concerned at one point that I tried to get Penny wrapped up into a towel so I could clip her nails - they're killer sharp - and THAT didn't go too well. Penny is just much too strong for me to control that way. She will NOT alllow me to just trim them - she's a lot like Ferris in too many ways.

And my roomie is NO help when it comes to grooming wiggly kitties, because he afraid he'll get clawed, waaaaah, big scary claws might HURT him.

Penny seemed to have forgiven me this morning, that's a good thing. I hope that they aren't so crazy tonight. The more stuff we get packed up for the move, the more stressed they seem to be getting, all of them.

A couple more weeks and things will settle down again.
post #2 of 25
wow, you had a time of it huh???

never a dull moment with furbabies!,lol
post #3 of 25
Sounds like an interesting night. Gotta love it when the claws come out
post #4 of 25
I know how you felt. I witnessed a similar thing the other day. I am sure it's the moving that's stressing them out.
post #5 of 25
Betsy, if you wanna try soft claws on Penny, I have some I can send you. I was using them on mine, and then they didn't really need them anymore, they weren't using their claws aggressively... I'd be happy to send them to you, just let me know if you want them!
post #6 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
Betsy, if you wanna try soft claws on Penny, I have some I can send you. I was using them on mine, and then they didn't really need them anymore, they weren't using their claws aggressively... I'd be happy to send them to you, just let me know if you want them!
Can't do it - she's too strong to hold when she doesn't want to be held. If I could hold her to get soft claws applied, I'd have already trimmed her nails, LOL.

But I do appreciate the offer!

Nial actually had to show me how to hold her in my arms so she can't twist away and break my hold, but it does require using both hands/arms. When holding her that way she knows better than to struggle, but if I lift a hand off her, she's OUTTA THERE!
post #7 of 25
Sounds like the purrfect way to spend a night huh hahahahaaha well atleast the kits keep u on your toes and keep u entertained haha
post #8 of 25
There is never a dull moment at your house now Betsy
post #9 of 25
Oh no, that must have been scary!!! I'm glad they're a bit more settled today. Moving is definitely stressful for kitty cats, I hope they stay calm until it's all over!
post #10 of 25
Betsy "Walnut" is an essence by Bach's thats is good for "change in curcumstance and surroundings" and you can just use it on the tips of their ears.

Im sure they know change is the air and are feeling uneasy.
post #11 of 25
sorry I'm an air head!

Louie is my wiggler.... I am now doing his nails after I take him outside, cause he is so purringly happy I could hang him by the tail, he'd let me do anything to him then.
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Betsy "Walnut" is an essence by Bach's thats is good for "change in curcumstance and surroundings" and you can just use it on the tips of their ears.

Im sure they know change is the air and are feeling uneasy.
Ferris is getting his flower essences on a daily basis, and I have Feliway going at both ends of the apartment. Maybe I should give his flower essences to the girls, too, at least for the nest couple of weeks.

His is made up of:

Rock Rose: This is useful for animals that are very scared and prone to panic attacks, for no known reason. They become totally rigid with fear and tend to be very highly strung and nervous.

Vervain: This is good for the very enthusiastic animal that is over bearing and highly strung. It helps calm hyperactivity and restlessness and suits the animal that wears people out by their excess energy.

Star of Bethlehem: For animals that have suffered any kind of trauma, emotional or physical, such as an accident or abuse. It will help them to recover from this shock, however long ago it took place.

Hmmm....I'll look into this - I can always call my vet and they'll do up a custom batch for about $15. Thanks for the tip.
post #13 of 25
Ouch!

Why not have a groomer come over and cut her nails for you?
post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
Ouch!

Why not have a groomer come over and cut her nails for you?
Well, I don't know any local groomers that make house calls, for one thing, and I'm not going to pay anyone any more than $10 to do it, which is what the vet charges.

Looks like she'll be waiting until her next vet visit for a trim, unless I can get a friend to help.
post #15 of 25
It's probably the move. There's all the new territory to divy up, everything all jumbled up, new world order and all that. Couldn't hurt to try flower essences for everyone ?

So I take it Ms. Penny isn't a sound sleeper either? That's how I give Stanley his manicure.
post #16 of 25
Is Ginger the present Alpha cat? It could be that Penny is trying to assert her dominance and become the alpha cat. I know Simba tries to mount my little Siamese girl SunLee, but I honestly don't think he's trying to assert his dominance, in his case. He's already the Alpha cat. I think he's horny. He is neutered, but he does this thing on the bed where he gets all worked up, then starts calling like a tom cat, and he finds her, he mounts her, and he tries have his way with her. Of course she won't let him, and neither will I.
post #17 of 25
I tell ya it must be in the air. My cats were all frisky this morning. Egore was chasing Pennie and Frostie for no reason other than he was being a jerk! He is usually are good will ambassador and hardly ever chases anyone but Uno and then that is only in fun.

Bob was being snarky and meowing all morning. Even Moochie was crying about what I don't even know.

In between getting chased by Egore, Pennie was crying to go outside but it was raining and she was giving me dirty looks.

Gizmo insisted on laying in the middle of the floor between the kitchen and livingroom which not only had me stepping over her but all the cats had to pass by her and she took her pot shots at them.

I think Uno was the only one in good spirits.

I was glad to go to work and leave the poor BF to deal with the feline crankiness
post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBella View Post
It's probably the move. There's all the new territory to divy up, everything all jumbled up, new world order and all that. Couldn't hurt to try flower essences for everyone ?

So I take it Ms. Penny isn't a sound sleeper either? That's how I give Stanley his manicure.
Well, we haven't moved yet, but I know that the chaos of seeing things disappearing into boxes is making them anxious.

Ms. Penny sleeps quite well...at NIGHT (which i'm NOT complaining about, mind you. ) She's up and really active through most of the day.
post #19 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
Is Ginger the present Alpha cat? It could be that Penny is trying to assert her dominance and become the alpha cat.
Yes, Ginger is the reigning queen, and has already put Penny in her place a few times.

Perhaps we'll have a Top Cat Pole Position Shuffle after moving into the new place.

I don't care who decides to be 1st alpha, because after all, I am THE alpha kitty in my house. They all fall below me in the chain of command.
post #20 of 25
I would suggest buying some soft claws to put on Penny.

(by the way, she is sooooooooooo darn gorgeous!!!!)
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I would suggest buying some soft claws to put on Penny.

(by the way, she is sooooooooooo darn gorgeous!!!!)
Thank you.

Will you please come over and attempt to hold her for me so I can put the soft claws on her?

Seriously, like I said, if I could hold onto her to apply the soft claws, she'd already have trimmed nails.

My problem is simply lack of arms - I need at least two more, then trimming her nails would be easy as pie. She's just WAY too strong for me to hold still with one arm.
post #22 of 25
Send Penny over to me and DH and I will trim her claws, soft claw her and MAYBE send her back
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Thank you.

Will you please come over and attempt to hold her for me so I can put the soft claws on her?

Seriously, like I said, if I could hold onto her to apply the soft claws, she'd already have trimmed nails.

My problem is simply lack of arms - I need at least two more, then trimming her nails would be easy as pie. She's just WAY too strong for me to hold still with one arm.
take her to your vet and let them put them on her usually they will only charge around $5 to trim them and will put the soft claws on for free. not a bad deal if it saves your arm and keeps her from hurting the other kitties.
post #24 of 25
Betsy,

I'm pretty sure you're right on track about the impending move setting the cats off. They are very intuitive creatures and they sense your stress level and are reacted to it along with the changes in their environment.

Things will iron out in short order, once you're settled again in your new place.
There may or may not be a hierarchy shift. Penny may assert herself as Alpha in a totally new environment. The good thing is, that all your cats know each other already, so I would just let them sort it out for themselves, so long as there is no major bloodshed.

I know Penny can be difficult about having her nails trimmed. Your best recourse is probably the Vet, since you're having trouble finding a suitable partner to assist.

I know what's it's like to move with cats....not fun! We moved from Hawaii to N.C. less than 3 years ago, with all our bengals. I don't want to repeat that anytime soon............meaning .......ever.
post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
Betsy,

I'm pretty sure you're right on track about the impending move setting the cats off. They are very intuitive creatures and they sense your stress level and are reacted to it along with the changes in their environment.

Things will iron out in short order, once you're settled again in your new place.
There may or may not be a hierarchy shift. Penny may assert herself as Alpha in a totally new environment. The good thing is, that all your cats know each other already, so I would just let them sort it out for themselves, so long as there is no major bloodshed.

I know Penny can be difficult about having her nails trimmed. Your best recourse is probably the Vet, since you're having trouble finding a suitable partner to assist.

I know what's it's like to move with cats....not fun! We moved from Hawaii to N.C. less than 3 years ago, with all our bengals. I don't want to repeat that anytime soon............meaning .......ever.
You know, although they've been anxious and combatting a bit, there has been no serious bloodshed, and they are cats, after all. Penny may try to take Alpha and Ginger may even let her, as long as Penny leaves her to herself. I think Ferris will have the hardest time as he may feel that he has lost his home territory. He'll be frightened for a while.

But who knows - they three will sort it out, and they will be happy to find a brand new, just for them, floor-to-ceiling cat tree with 4 perches and sisal on it. And the entire "pantry" section that sticks like a box off of the back end of my kitchen has no shelving and therefore will fit perfectly the fridge-sized cat condo. There's a place in there as well for the water fountain and it will literally become the "Cat Corner," loaded with toys. I got "The Tiger Toy" in the mail today.

So I'm doing the best I can not to add to their stress levels - I've made arrangements with a friend who is going to help me get almost all of my bedroom moved and set up the day BEFORE the big move. I'll sleep on just my mattress that night, that way I can get the cats over and contained in my new bedroom very first thing, with food, water and litter, plus cat beds and toys, so they'll have their own things around them.

This will be difficult, but not too much so. As long as my roomie doesn't decide to "help" by vacuuming all the rugs on moving day, it should go ok with them settling in.

I'm setting up two Feliway diffusers over there next weekend. I wanted to do it 2 weeks in advance, but there isn't enough done yet with the rewiring/repainting work over there.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › And the fur was FLYING!