So angry

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Florrie loves going outside but i hate her going out because shes got no outdoor skills but is very depressed when inside so i let her in the front garden for a sniff around everyday. I took my eyes off her for a min and she disapears! I went hunting around and found her in my back alley and a speeding car was zooming down at about 40mph and wasnt even gonna stop when florrie was in the road. I was so angry,it was a young woman driver and she had no regard for a cats life at all. She was just inches away from squashing florrie before florrie ran for her life. Now i dont wanna let her out at all incase it happens again. People should NOT be speeding down a very narrow alleyway! What am i supposed to do? She hates being indoors...help anyone??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm maybe i could,I'll have a think about that thanx!

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid drivers can't be blamed in instances like this. It's up to owners to keep their pets safe. ANYONE living near a road should think long and hard about letting their cats outside. A friend of mine just lost one of her cats a week ago this exact way, getting hit by a car. It's a crying shame but fully preventable.

My girls stay in the house 100% of the time. They are certainly not missing what they don't have! Even cats that have previously been outdoor animals can be retrained to be indoor cats. They won't be happy at first but they will adjust. And they'll certainly live longer for it.

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think when somone is TRYING to run my cat over on purpose it is not my fault! I dont live near any main roads,theres probably 2 cars go down there a day if that. So please dont go blaming all owners! Especially someone whos only trying to keep there kitty happy without being cooped up inside 24hrs a day. Im a great believer in keeping cats idoors but when my cat is so depressed i have to give her a bit of freedom.Its so disrespectful considering i saved this poor kitty from being outdoors 24hrs a day with her last owner! I asked for advice not a lecture,please just think before you speak.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
another idea is a leash and harness. my in-law's previous cat went out on a leash and harness in the backyard every day of his life. he really enjoyed his time outside. but because of the leash and harness, he wasn't loose so my MIL didn't have to worry about cars. (she also lives on an alley that people drive through much too fast)

her current cat doesn't go out, but he's a former street cat and is much happier indoors (he doesn't ask to go out at all).

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanx for the advice,i think i might try the leash and see how she does with that.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The leash and harness sounds like a good idea, but it might take Florrie a little time to get used to the harness.
There's a Woman at the far end of my street who took in a stray many years ago.
"Mr. Blackwell" is an indoor cat, but he goes out for about an hour a day...in good weather...on a harness and leash.
He gets to go outside and he's still safe from cars.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Janine,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you. I was speaking in general terms because so many people let their cats out to roam free and then blame everyone else when something bad happens to the cat. It amazes me how many people will not take responsibility for their own pet's fate.

You say the cat has no outdoor skills, so maybe she should be kept inside for her own safety? Maybe another idea is to find something IN the house to keep her occupied? How long have you had trouble with her depression? How much time has she had to become adjusted to just being IN the house? I know it's not easy for them to change but given time, many of them do make the adjustment very well.

If she doesn't tho: my step-father used to tie his cat to the clothesline so he could roam around the whole back yard away from the street and be watched easily from windows.

I hope you find a solution that will make your cat happier.

Originally Posted by janine&lily

I think when somone is TRYING to run my cat over on purpose it is not my fault! I dont live near any main roads,theres probably 2 cars go down there a day if that. So please dont go blaming all owners! Especially someone whos only trying to keep there kitty happy without being cooped up inside 24hrs a day. Im a great believer in keeping cats idoors but when my cat is so depressed i have to give her a bit of freedom.Its so disrespectful considering i saved this poor kitty from being outdoors 24hrs a day with her last owner! I asked for advice not a lecture,please just think before you speak.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tammie

I'm afraid drivers can't be blamed in instances like this. It's up to owners to keep their pets safe. .
Why can't they? What is wrong with stopping for the minute it would take for the animal to get to safety? I've done it, and will continue to do so. That extra minute you gain by not slowing down or stopping isn't worth taking a life! How could you live with yourself?

My cats are indoor and will remain indoor, but I understand wanting your cat to be able to enjoy the outdoors. Our indoor cats may be safer, but they're missing out on so much of life. It may be gilded, but it's a cage nonetheless.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Instantly, upon reading your first post, I thought "harness & leash!" Invest in both, and let your cat have free roam around the garden, without restriction to the leash. You can sit in the shade and rad a good book and enjoy a cold refreshment... If Florrie attempts to run off again, you have full control once she hits the end of the leash.
[/font]

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Why can't they? What is wrong with stopping for the minute it would take for the animal to get to safety? I've done it, and will continue to do so. That extra minute you gain by not slowing down or stopping isn't worth taking a life! How could you live with yourself?
Sadly, sometimes animals dart out and there's nothing the driver can do. This is plainly evident whenever you drive down any highway or even interstate, no one wants to hit skunks but plenty of them do get ran over.
Though I agree that no one should be speeding in an alley or on a residental street, just for the very fact that one time it may not be an animal that runs out..

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen several different "contraptions" for indoor cats to be able to enjoy the outdoors without getting squashed! I know my cats have always been strictly indoor cats, but they still try to dart outside....sometimes they're successful!

What kind of enclosures have others built??

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats ok,its just i felt like you were telling me i was an irresponable cat owner but i just want her to be happy. She hates being indoors because her last owner used to leave her out for weeks without even seeing her so shes not used to being indoors all the time. Iv had her for 2 years now and if i dont let her have a bit time outside she will attack things next to door and meow constantly for ages. I do keep an eye on her when shes out and if i see her going to far then i go get her. It just annoys me when people go speeding down a very narrow road when theres loads of cats around here who walk around the alleyways. The cats hide under the cars around here and if i see one i wont ever drive past incase it darts out,i couldnt live with myself if i ran a cat or any animal over.
Thanx for all the messages everyone,when i saw i had so many replies i thought everyone was gonna be mean lol Im gonna try a few different things to try get florrie more interested in being indoors, all ideas welcome

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]A great idea is a sun room or a screened-in-porch (we have one of the latter and Zoey spends alot of time out there). In the case of a sun room, put in lots of plants and then cat beds and you can make it a sort of "cat room"! Leave the windows open, and like I said, lots of plants, to kind of simulate the outdoors. You can put plants on the porch too, and that way she gets to see what's going on and smell the fresh air and be around the garden vegetation. If you can't do this, just put her on a really long leash and harness and let her walk around, that way if she does try to run off, you've got her under control, but until then, she's free to roam.
[/font]

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, that was just me, sorry! I should have generalized my post more so it didn't sound so accusatory. Didn't mean to come across that way.

Originally Posted by janine&lily

when i saw i had so many replies i thought everyone was gonna be mean lol

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahh yes a topic close too my heart. A while ago I lost my Special one, a kitty , only 7 months old..to this horribly busy road....I was ignorant, I felt if my 2 older boys had survived for the last 7 and 10 years outside...she would too
alas I was sadly mistaken, I felt it was cruel at one point too deprive her of the outside freedom..but let me say this now...I would give anything too have her back and keep her inside forever, my WHOLE attitude has changed about cats being indoors, since losing her. It is INSIDE from now on, period, for my cats cept the 2 older kittys, they have been outside all their life, cept on cold days/nights hehe. The harness /leash is a gr8 idea, one which I will also be integrating into my kitty house hold shortly. Also if your kittie does not like bein inside like my C'For.....he tears wallpaper down if not let out ( he is one of the older boys, whom I respect too be outside when he wishes ) 7 years old and very *on to it*. Maybe try tidbits...or your kitties favorite games?...or also maybe try say an hour of constant playing...too not only get kitties mind off the evil outside...but also too make kittie sleepy hehe, in time and it might take a while..kittie will get used too it, they adapt extremely well, given time and patience