New kitten has a wild streak

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On Saturday my family adopted 2 kittens (a 2 month old and a 4 month old. both females). All we know is that the 2 month old (Cali) was an owner surender. The 4 month old (Ripley) was a stray and may have been born on the streets. She has a real wild streak in her. I am wondering, is it possible to tame her enough for her to be a wonderful family pet? And if so, what can we do? We REALLY want to keep her, but the 2 kittens we adopted arent getting along, and if they dont start getting along, we may have to take one back to the animal shelter. I am afraid that if we have to get rid of one, it will end up being Ripley that goes. I DONT WANT THAT!!!! We have 30 days to do an exchange.

I hope Ripley can be tamed enough to be a wonderfull family pet. And I REALLY hope we can keep both of our new family members.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 month old kittens will have tons of energy. Are you sure it is wild behaviour and not just normal 4 month old behaviour? Plus the kittens have only been with you a few days. I am sure they are extra happy and are extra energetic to be in a real home and not in a cage.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

4 month old kittens will have tons of energy. Are you sure it is wild behaviour and not just normal 4 month old behaviour? Plus the kittens have only been with you a few days. I am sure they are extra happy and are extra energetic to be in a real home and not in a cage.
What kinds of things is she doing?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah kittens that age have alot of energy, it's normal and if they didnt act like that something would be wrong. But, at this age is when you train them what behavior is ok, and what is not. So if they are tearing up furniture or climbing places you dont want them to, teach them not to go there, and a scratching post is a must with alot of toys! Play with them before bed so they dont keep you up all night.

And some may have more energy than others, just like people.

You got them young which gives you and them time to adjust and be trained.

If they are hissing or run away from you they may just be nervous at their new home, give them time.

If they dont like each other they may need more time to adjust. There are many ways to do that.