hmm new job offer.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So a friend sent me link to a university in thailand that was looking for IT teachers( in english) . She said, go ahead apply. So i did. Lol well at least it was not teaching english which would not be fair to the students

well i just finished my third phone conversation with the school, I would be teaching, a networking class, intro to Oracle, and into to sap( for those that want to know what sap is http://www.sap.com/company/index.epx ) all of which i know to some degree or another, and use every day at work.

how this started as a joke, i was told i was one of the 3 people they are looking at

My issue, i dont think i could teach.
i know what i am doing, but i dont know if could pass that along to students. I am not scared of trying new things, and thailand is not new to me. I just dont know if can teach, would it be fair to the students to try?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be able to offer a new perspective to teaching to these kids and if they think you have the qualifications to teach this class there is something to that. Good luck either way and you will make the right choice! :bighumb:

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I entered the teaching field with NO qualifications back in October, I did get a 3 day training which didnt get me too far because I now have my own method.

My students all love me and are very sad to hear that one day in the near future I will be leaving for good.

As long as you are a native english speaker, funny, friendly, serious about the work, and able to explain things (sometimes it does get hard) and actually know about the subject you are on about. I think you should take the opportunity! It is really alot of fun!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend you give it a try, it will be a great experience for you.
Teaching does feel a bit weird to start with, but you quickly learn your own method and then go with it. I used to feel the same way when I had to teach people how to cook. Immediately the mind kinda shuts down on you and you instantly find yourself thinking. I know how to do this but I don't know how to teach. I think that happens to the best of us.

Good luck to you.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce I didn't think I could teach when I was asked to teach an intro to web design class last summer. Heck I was even in education back in college, but quit because I didn't think I would be a good teacher.

The majority of my students thank me at the end of my first two sessions and told me how much they've enjoyed my class and how much they learned.

It's really quite crazy, but I think you become more effective in your career then you do sitting in front of a computer 8 hours a day. Heck if I Had to do over again I would go back to teach.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce, you may think you don't know how to teach, but that may be your greatest gift.

The worst teachers I've ever had were experts in their field that didn't understand that WE weren't experts.

Walking in thinking that they may not understand is a good thing, they will most likely understand more because you are over compensating.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way for you to try teaching before committing yourself? Perhaps by holding a mini-course at your company, a local community college, or even the local high school?

Are you flexible, and good at improvising? Sometimes you just have to experiment and see what works best with a particular group of students.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've had 3 talks with the school. They obviously feel that you have the qualifications, otherwise they wouldn't be putting in the effort with you

If you know something inside and out, it's not really that hard to pass along your knowledge about it.

I think you should give it your best shot!

Is there a way you could take a leave of absence from your current job in order to try it out for a few months to see if it's something you like and want to continue to do? This way if you decide it's not for you then you still have your current job to return to.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Bruce, you may think you don't know how to teach, but that may be your greatest gift.

The worst teachers I've ever had were experts in their field that didn't understand that WE weren't experts.
I completely agree.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can teach it to a person sitting next to you, then you can teach it to a whole classroom -- it's all about patience and clarity. What an exciting opportunity!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruce, obviously they feel that you can have the passion for the subject.

Couple of questions:

Do you want to move back to Thailand?
Can your body physically handle the move (long flight etc)?
Can your cats handle the move?

Whatever you decide, I have faith that you will make the best choice for you. I think that you would be an asset to the school and an excellent teacher for your students.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Bruce they must have some confidence in you to do the job?.

I always say anyone is capable of doing anything if they put their mind to it, so go for it
well, i guess from talking the other people are younger then me(must be getting old) and have degress in IT, how i onliy have a 2 year degree in computers. BUt i am the only one that has been doing the work, for 12 years of what they want taught. I do have mcsa, and ccnp
along with SAP security and some SAP system suppot. When i asked about what part of sap
they want to teach, i did not get a stright answer, cause if they want module support i cant do that part at all

Originally Posted by adymarie

Bruce, obviously they feel that you can have the passion for the subject.

Couple of questions:

Do you want to move back to Thailand?
Can your body physically handle the move (long flight etc)?
Can your cats handle the move?

Whatever you decide, I have faith that you will make the best choice for you. I think that you would be an asset to the school and an excellent teacher for your students.
Yea i want to move back to that part of the world, its funny really ohio has never felt like home after coming back, and there is nothing here for me anymore.

that part about moving, i dont know. Last time, i had to get a wheel chair to help me off the plane, cause my back just would not work after the long fight.

eazy would be fine, Heyu i dont know, i still think somethign is wrong with her, but the vets say no.