2 new kittens NOT getting along!!!!!!

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 new adopted kittens (one 2 month old and a 4 month old. Both are females) are not getting along. We adopted them on Saturay, but one of the kittens wasnt able to come home untill today. They are hissing and clawing eachother. Is there any hope of them getting along? We want to keep them both, but if they cant get along we might have to take one back to the shelter again. We REALLY DONT want to do that.

We dont know alot about their history. All we really know is that Cali (the 2 month old) was an owner surrender, and Ripley (the 4 month old) was a stray (we think she might have been a ferral cat born on the streets). Is there any thing we can do so they "play nice"? ANY HELP would be GREATLY appriciated!!!! We dont want to have to give ANYONE of them up. We have 30 days to exchange them. WE DONT WANT TOO DO IT!!!!!

Also, is it normal for them to fight the first few days? If they fight, does it mean that they wont ever get along? Or is there still hope of them getting along?

plazzain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it is normal for them not to get along at first. It could be weeks, months, or even years before they finally make an agreement! Who knows, maybe they'll always have grudges. You shouldn't introduce the cats to eachother right away. In fact, you should stop the fights by seperating them ASAP. Each cat should have its own food bowl, water dish, and litter box, plus their own room or similar territory. It is quite stressful for kittens if they are suddenly forced to live together, especially if they are from different litters. Also remember that one cat will likely be alpha and there is really nothing you can do to prevent this.

I urge you to read this thread now:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plazzain

Yes, it is normal for them not to get along at first. It could be weeks, months, or even years before they finally make an agreement! Who knows, maybe they'll always have grudges. You shouldn't introduce the cats to eachother right away. In fact, you should stop the fights by seperating them ASAP. Each cat should have its own food bowl, water dish, and litter box, plus their own room or similar territory. It is quite stressful for kittens if they are suddenly forced to live together, especially if they are from different litters. Also remember that one cat will likely be alpha and there is really nothing you can do to prevent this.

I urge you to read this thread now:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321
Is it too late to start over, since they have already had their first impressions (which DIDNT GO WELL AT ALL) ? Or is it possible to start over and take it slower? And if so, will the results be likley to be sucessful?

Also, is Cali considered a "resident cat" even thought she has only been here for a few days and still getting use to everything?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since one is more feral then the other, it might be one reason. But try these few tricks. First clip ALL nails so they really don't hurt each other.

1. Sprinkle some cornstarch (not talc) baby powder on both and rub it in so they smell the same.

2. Try a dab of vanilla extract on their nose/butt (again to smell the same).

3. Wash both kittens in the same shampoo. That might be best as they have been around other cats and have more strange smells.

plazzain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo

Is it too late to start over, since they have already had their first impressions (which DIDNT GO WELL AT ALL) ? Or is it possible to start over and take it slower? And if so, will the results be likley to be sucessful?

Also, is Cali considered a "resident cat" even thought she has only been here for a few days and still getting use to everything?
First impressions CAN be lasting ones, but not necessarily permanent. When my family first brought in Leo, I wasn't in town, so he wasn't introduced to Rosebud properly. Leo would often try to play, but usually these interactions resulted in battles. It took them 2 years to finally make peace.

I have had experience with trying to "re-introduce" cats to each other after horrible first impressions. I will admit that it will be a bit harder than it would have been if they hadn't already seen eachother, but there is still definitely hope. Much luck to you and your kitties!

EDIT: Remember, this isn't something that happens over night. This takes time, effort and most importantly, patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ibelonginthezoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some members of my family say that the kittens are fighting to establish dominatcy and ranking. When that is established, things will be fine. Is that true?

I have tried using vanilla to get them the same scent. It didnt work. Any other ideas on how to get them getting along? My grandpa wont let us use the "slow" method, because of some family issues. Any ideas???????

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You really need to separate them like Plazzain suggested and introduce them more slowly with the techniques she suggested.

They will establish dominance but it doesnt have to be done with violence. And if it is, it could cause them to really not like each other.

Just be patient and help them know each other calmly and slowly.

plazzain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by IBelongInTheZoo

My grandpa wont let us use the "slow" method, because of some family issues. Any ideas???????
Well, I don't mean any disrespect, but whether anyone likes it or not, they're going to have work it out themselves, slowly and without force. Discourage family members from forcing them to interact. All this does is confuse them and worsen the tension between the two. The least you could do for them would be to let whichever one is fondest of you to stay in your bedroom with its own food, water, and litter. Not only will this prevent battles over territory, but it's also safer for your cats. If your grandfather objects to this, too, explain to him that it's a safety/health matter. Much luck.

stmichael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've read that cats are not social animals-they have no need for a hierarchy. If this is true, then why is there an alpha amongst household cats?
My best friend and her mother have four cats and they say one of the males is the alpha-so it appears to be true. Is there an alpha just between two cats?

plazzain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by STMICHAEL

I've read that cats are not social animals-they have no need for a hierarchy. If this is true, then why is there an alpha amongst household cats?
My best friend and her mother have four cats and they say one of the males is the alpha-so it appears to be true. Is there an alpha just between two cats?
http://amos.indiana.edu/library/scripts/alphatail.html

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one, but its a "loose" hierarchy; not like a dog pack. One cat can be the dominate one this week and another one next week.

Basically it goes like this in "rank order" - Unaltered Tom (male), Unaltered Queen (female) - then the spayed/neutered cats are last.