TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I wasn't gonna post this....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I wasn't gonna post this....

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
but here I am at 1 am and quite unexpectedly nervous!!!!

Why? Because I'm getting a major haircut in the morning!!!

I know I'm an oddball. But for some reason I'm really nervous! My hair is over half way down my back now and I'm planning to get enough cut off to donate it. I've wanted to do it forever and my hair does grow fast, so if it's too short it'll be back to a decent length in a couple of months.

Earlier I was using that line to convince a friend. Now I'm using it to convince myself!!!

I know it's going to feel good and I also know I will miss the length in a few days. I keep touching my hair now going...this isn't going to be here this time tomorrow!


What am I ever going to do with myself?
post #2 of 26
Wow, that's awesome!!!! And yes, of course you're nervous - anyone would be! Cutting off that much hair is scary!

Take before and after pics to show us!
post #3 of 26
Thread Starter 
I used the timer setting earlier to get some pics. I'll upload them tomorrow once I get back. My appointment is at 10 am...which means I really need to go to bed so I can get up and wash and dry my hair before I go!
post #4 of 26
Good luck
Are you donating it to a charitable organisation?
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles View Post
I used the timer setting earlier to get some pics. I'll upload them tomorrow once I get back. My appointment is at 10 am...which means I really need to go to bed so I can get up and wash and dry my hair before I go!
my stylist always washes mine before he cuts it - yours doesn't?
post #6 of 26
hair is overrated, i have been shaving my head for years,
post #7 of 26
I just donated 12" of my hair to locks of love back in March! That is soo kind of you to consider donating!!!! They need all of the donations that they can get too! Each hair piece takes 10 donations of hair at least 10" in length. Donations that are shorter than 10" are used to make smaller hair pieces to raise money for locks of love. It's an amazing organization!!! Good luck tomorrow!!! (it was weird when all of my hair was cut off too but mine was sooooo long when i went in to donate it that it was still at my shoulders after it was cut.) I just got it cut off back in March and now it's already down to my chest. Hair grows out- you'll be fine! Bring your camera with you and let your hairdresser snap a before and after picture of the donation! They'll use it on the locksoflove site and sometimes can match the donors to the recipients so you can actually see who your hair goes to i believe!
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
my stylist always washes mine before he cuts it - yours doesn't?
Yes....but for some reason I've always prefered to do it myself....
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I just donated 12" of my hair to locks of love back in March! That is soo kind of you to consider donating!!!! They need all of the donations that they can get too! Each hair piece takes 10 donations of hair at least 10" in length. Donations that are shorter than 10" are used to make smaller hair pieces to raise money for locks of love. It's an amazing organization!!! Good luck tomorrow!!! (it was weird when all of my hair was cut off too but mine was sooooo long when i went in to donate it that it was still at my shoulders after it was cut.) I just got it cut off back in March and now it's already down to my chest. Hair grows out- you'll be fine! Bring your camera with you and let your hairdresser snap a before and after picture of the donation! They'll use it on the locksoflove site and sometimes can match the donors to the recipients so you can actually see who your hair goes to i believe!
I tried to get some pics last night but they aren't the best, so I'm going to try again or just bring my camera to the salon. I'm getting at least the 10" minimum cut off today. I might be able to do 11 or 12, I just don't know exactly how long that would leave my hair. It will be around shoulder length either way, maybe just above my shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentNate View Post
Good luck
Are you donating it to a charitable organisation?
Yes, I'm sending it to Locks of Love. http://www.locksoflove.org/ They make hairpieces for kids. A couple of years ago my step-brother donated his hair to them. (And OH MY GOSH does he have beautiful hair! I'd absolutely love to see what they did with it!)
post #9 of 26
That's so nice of you! I just got my hair cut to my chin, but I only got maybe 4 inches off. It feels so much better when it's short in the summer.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Here's the best picture I have of my hair at the moment:



I'm always the one taking the pictures around here! This was taken on Father's day (with my lil nephew! ) As usual, my hair looks darker in this picture than in 'real life.'
post #11 of 26
That's a great thing you're doing, Leighann.
post #12 of 26
That's a great thing to do OMG your nephew...I want HIM
post #13 of 26
*hugs*

It's just hair and will grow back!

Just think of it as a new chapter. Amazing what a simple hair style change can do to give us a boost and a new "sassy" feeling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles View Post
but here I am at 1 am and quite unexpectedly nervous!!!!

Why? Because I'm getting a major haircut in the morning!!!

I know I'm an oddball. But for some reason I'm really nervous! My hair is over half way down my back now and I'm planning to get enough cut off to donate it. I've wanted to do it forever and my hair does grow fast, so if it's too short it'll be back to a decent length in a couple of months.

Earlier I was using that line to convince a friend. Now I'm using it to convince myself!!!

I know it's going to feel good and I also know I will miss the length in a few days. I keep touching my hair now going...this isn't going to be here this time tomorrow!


What am I ever going to do with myself?
post #14 of 26
Way to go! I think people doing things like these is wonderful. You'll never know how what you did will impact someone
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella713 View Post
That's a great thing to do OMG your nephew...I want HIM
Me too! He lives in Maine now!
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Oh and I'm home! Stay tuned for before and after pics!!! Coming in just a few minutes to a thread near you!
post #17 of 26
I cut off 12 inches of mine a few years back and donated it to locksoflove. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that you have actually helped someone. I am now starting all over and 2 years will get it cut again!! Don't feel bad, feel good about it! I am like the rest of the others, it's just hair and it will grow back!!
post #18 of 26
What a great thing you are doing
post #19 of 26
Oh, I envy you! I can't donate my hair because it's too prone to split ends. Not very likable, isn't it. And because of that, I have a hard enough time trying to get it past my shoulders without being a frizzball.
post #20 of 26
I did the same a while back, the shortness was a shock (my hair was really long) but it grows back and you are doing a great thing for someone out there
post #21 of 26
I love growing my hair long and then cutting off over 12 inches at a time. I like the freedom and coolness it provides in summer. I just cut off about 8 inches on Saturday.

Good luck and remember you are helping a child cope with a horrible ordeal!
post #22 of 26
Just remember that Locks of Love is a wonderful thing to give back to, as a licensed Barber/Cosmetologist I give any donater alot of respect for being so brave to cut it all off for a good cause. Anyways... How did it turn out? Did you cry? I would of, but my hair takes forever to grow back
post #23 of 26
I've done this twice, it is so worth it. I know it's scary, especially the first time! Just remember, somewhere a child who has been sick as long as they can remember is going to recieve something to make their life just a bit more normal...what a smile they will have!!!
Your hair will grow back, but the hair you donate may be the only hair that child has!
BE BRAVE!!
post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie View Post
Good luck and remember you are helping a child cope with a horrible ordeal!
Someone needs to help my poor DH cope with it! I'm not sure if he just doens't like it or if he just needs time to adjust! He didn't seem too happy last night and had to work late today, but seemed better when he did get home. I unno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
Just remember that Locks of Love is a wonderful thing to give back to, as a licensed Barber/Cosmetologist I give any donater alot of respect for being so brave to cut it all off for a good cause. Anyways... How did it turn out? Did you cry? I would of, but my hair takes forever to grow back
The final pics are here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134342

I'm starting to get used to it now. I'm liking the feeling of a cool neck! My hair is thick, so removing that weight gave me some volume too. Not sure if it's all good volume! But then I just air dried it with no styling products at all today.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles View Post
Someone needs to help my poor DH cope with it! I'm not sure if he just doens't like it or if he just needs time to adjust! He didn't seem too happy last night and had to work late today, but seemed better when he did get home. I unno.


The final pics are here:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134342

I'm starting to get used to it now. I'm liking the feeling of a cool neck! My hair is thick, so removing that weight gave me some volume too. Not sure if it's all good volume! But then I just air dried it with no styling products at all today.

For some reason men get very attached to their partners long hair - it is a sensual thing with them. Just keep being your usual loving self and he will adjust in no time. Or you can just remind him...hair grows back.
post #26 of 26
I saw the pics... It is cute both ways. If your hair gets to bulky or the thickness is still unbearable, even at its new length, it can easily be thinned with a thinning shear (not my first choice) or with a razor (better choice)... Something to think about the next time you get a trim. Layers also promote volume in all hair densities, but in a sense they help avoid dead weight...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I wasn't gonna post this....