Sciatica/pinched nerve

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been in pain all day. My lower back is REALLY hurting, and I thought it was muscular so booked in for a massage, but the massage therapist said my muscles seemed fairly fine (and it certainly didn't hurt to massage the area where I'm feeling the pain).

She said it seemed more like the sciatic nerve was pinched, probably in my hip. I've never had a pinched nerve before and I've just been reading about it, and it seems that it can take weeks for it to fix itself!?!

Is that right? Is there anything I can do apart from stretching to help it?

I have no idea what I did to set it off, but it's a really sharp, shooting pain, and I'm worried I'm not going to sleep because of it - lying down is painful.

I can take a Tylenol, but nothing stronger, and I don't know if it's worth it, I don't think a Tylenol will do much.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that is one of the issues that i have, thanks to my broken back.
it hurts like ,,,,, like well you know. however for me that is not the only thing that is being pinched. which is why my legs sometimes hurt, and get strange feelings in them.

Not much well help with nerve pain, and with the baby the few things that do would not be good to take. the only thing that help is to take the pressure off the back. at least for me.
the baby is what is causing it i would think?

right now they me on methadone. which i dont really take. accept whn the pain is to bad and i want to sleep. i had some luck with anti inflammatorys drugs, but they dont want you to stay on those for to long.

does laying down help with the pain at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sorry to hear Bruce - I don't know how you cope with it on a regular basis! I'd say it is baby related, probably putting pressure on different body parts then before, or the weight is distributed differently and causing bad posture.

Laying down is painful. I can only sleep on my sides, which puts pressure on my hip.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In addition to stretching, you can also put some heat on it...that might make it feel better and will help the muscles to loosen up.

From the last post it sounds like you're pregnant? Sciatica is pretty common in pregnant women. You can ask your doctor about it the next time you go in for a check up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My ex-boss is due about 2 weeks before you and she's been dealing with pain there. That and numbness and some pain in her one leg. They were more concerned about the leg pain and numbness so her doctor has checked for blood clots and things but they pretty much think it's the way the baby is sitting. Can you try laying down with a pillow between your knees? I injured my back in the lower region and that did help me.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

In addition to stretching, you can also put some heat on it...that might make it feel better and will help the muscles to loosen up.

From the last post it sounds like you're pregnant? Sciatica is pretty common in pregnant women. You can ask your doctor about it the next time you go in for a check up.
The massage therapist said to try icing rather than heat to help inflammation. I hate ice packs. They're so... cold

And yes I'm pregnant and seeing my OB tomorrow so will see if they have anything exciting to say about it.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Laying down is painful. I can only sleep on my sides, which puts pressure on my hip.
yep same here, I used to sleep on my back, but now have to sleep on my sides. for me,right have i lay down, on my side, for me most of the pain stops,
along with my legs feel normal,and the burning stops in the feet. or if i sit in a really good chair jsut right. Also like someone else said, sometimes laying with a pillow between the knees can help.

lol for me sometimes, when standing, i will feel like i am standing in water from the waist down, or it will feel like fire is running down the legs right into the toes.or it may feel like water is runnign down your legs, like when you get out of the shower or swimming pool. it can be different from min to min.

hope the doctor can give you some ideas to help

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it and the only thing that fixed it was a trip to the chiropractor. It seems that my pelvis has a tendancy to slip out of place by about 3 mm and putting it back takes the pressure off the nerve and the pain goes away.

It's either that, or your little one has bedded down on a nerve. Crystal did that in utero and I had no feeling at all down one entire leg for about a week.
It came back when she decided to roll over.

Oh and Bruce had GREAT advice - always sleep with a pillow between your knees whewn side-sleeping, especially as your pregnancy progresses. It takes pressure off the sciatic and spinal nerves.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that too, and I'm sure sleeping on your side isn't comfortable either. Do you have something that you can put under your knees when you sleep on your back? It helps me sometimes...either extra pillows or a rolled up blanket, anything that will bend your knees will help take that pressure off a litte. Good luck!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Sorry you are having problems. Are you sure it is just sciatica? I had major issues while pregnant with Derek.

I had Pelvic Girdle Pain http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...vicgirdlepain/ and Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnanc...th/pelvicpain/.

The links above I found to have great and helpful information. I was in constant agony - especially the last trimester.

PM me if you have any questions.
No I don't know. I saw my OB and she freaked out and tried to make me see the cardiologist in case it was my heart
She finally agreed that the pain near my hip probably had nothing to do with my heart

I'm not sure how to get it "diagnosed".

Originally Posted by calico2222

I get that too, and I'm sure sleeping on your side isn't comfortable either. Do you have something that you can put under your knees when you sleep on your back? It helps me sometimes...either extra pillows or a rolled up blanket, anything that will bend your knees will help take that pressure off a litte. Good luck!
I can't sleep on my back because I'm heading into my third trimester of pregnancy, I can only sleep on my sides. I sleep with pillows between my knees though.

I'm also stretching heaps, have just been swimming, and am trying Tylenol, which doesn't do a lot. Little things like driving over speedbumps seems to set it off.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, sorry. I didn't realize you couldn't sleep on your back because of the pregnancy but it does make sense now that I think about it (obviously, I've never been pregnant). I thought it was just because of the pain. Hopefully your OB will be able to give you some good advice. Just sending some painkilling vibes your way.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

The massage therapist said to try icing rather than heat to help inflammation.
Yep, always apply ice for accute problems. The only time you want to use heat is if it's something chronic like arthritis.

Have you considered a chiropractor? They could adjust that area and give you instant relief.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
putting heat on the area will promote healing but ice or something cold will help with the aches and pains. Pain wise even though you are pregnant you should be ok with paracetamol.

Nerves are very sensitive and something as simple as your sleeping position can aggrivate them (as can pregnancy). Don't be suprised if the area affected swells as this is the bodies natural way of healing. If oedema (swelling) occurs use heat packs or something as will improve your circulation and remove excess fluid!!!! Hope your pain issue is resolved soon. Also driving will aggrivate your back and can cause discomfort anyway due to your pregnancy.

Lv kz and Indie x

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chiropractors can be good during pregnancy - just get one who is used to pregnant patients.

I found with the pelvic girdle paind and the pubis dysfunction pain that I had to do a lot of research first to find what fit my pain. For some reason OB like to say - oh it is sciatica.

To me it really sounds like the pelvic girdle pain at least. If you have pain radiating down your leg from the inside of your groin, the it is the pubis dysfunction. I had both very badly and near the end of the pregnancy could barely walk or roll over in bed.

Ice does help, but the heat can make some of the ach go away. I alternated. 15 minutes heat, 15 nothing, 15 ice, 15 nothing, etc.

PM me if you have any questions.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks all for your help. I really don't know what it is. It's not radiating down my buttock or leg or anything like that, it's one specific spot. It's generally fine for a bit, then it comes on strongly, and it throbs. And the throbbing is ultra painful for a second or two, then goes away for about 10 seconds, then comes back really badly and so forth.

The only to get it to go away is to take Tylenol, but once that wears off, it comes back again as soon as something aggravates it (and it gets easily aggravated). I really don't want to be constantly popping Tylenol either.

This is day 4 now and it's not any better. My OB was completely useless, all she cared about was that it wasn't my heart.

I just bought a pregnancy support belt thingy - a wide elastic band that velcro's at the front. They said it should provide instant relief, but I don't really know where I need the support, so I'm just moving it around every 30 minutes or so to see if I can find a good spot.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Since everyone has given you good advice, I will just send vibes (with our new smiley ) and tell "PJ" to move his little you-know-what to a new position because he's making mommy uncomfortable.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Since everyone has given you good advice, I will just send vibes (with our new smiley ) and tell "PJ" to move his little you-know-what to a new position because he's making mommy uncomfortable.
Oh the new smiley is vibes.... looks like he's spitting or blowing smoke!!!