TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › newborn kittens with fleas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

newborn kittens with fleas

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone.
We rescued a pregnant stray. She had fleas and was treated about 2 weeks prior to the birth of her kittens. This past Saturday, the 7th, she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens. Unfortunately one didn't make it.
Anyway, I noticed yesterday that they all have fleas. I did call the vet who said they absolutly can not treat the newborns and the best we could do was try to remove the fleas with a flea comb. I had read it is very dangerous for newborn kittens to have fleas. I was surprised at her answer and didn't think to ask about treating Mom at least.
What is your opinion? It will be hard to convince my husband to call a different vet - but I don't want to lose these little ones or have them suffering until they are old enough to be treated around 6-8 weeks.
We intend on getting all of them spayed/neutered and vaccinated as well as find good homes for them (one of them might be ours!) as soon as they are old enough.
Could you please share your opinions with me? I am concerned.
Thanks!
Tami
post #2 of 11
I am really hoping someone provides information on this, as we bathed our stray we took in, and SEEMED to get rid of the fleas, but I'm scared to death of the kittens being born and then having fleas!!!
post #3 of 11
I can't help you with your question, unfortunately. My son rescued my kitten Blossom when she was 3 weeks old, & luckily she has never had fleas. I wormed her every 2 weeks until she was old enough to go onto Revolution which is an all-in-one flea, worm, heartworm etc preventive.
If I were you, until you hear from cat breeders, I would search for info on the net.
Good luck & welcome to the cat site.
post #4 of 11
I am not sure about the mom being treated, but if you just treated her right before the birth, she should be alright. To get the fleas off the babies, fill up a bowl with warm water and Dawn antibacterial dish soap. Dip the flea comb in the soapy water and comb over the kittens, might want to comb over mom too just in case, but the flea meds should have treated her. It all depends though, where did you get the meds from that you treated mom with?

Just keep dipping the comb in the water and comb over the babies. You might have to get out tweezers and pick them out.
post #5 of 11
Make sure you dry the comb before you use it on the kittens each time - newborns catch cold very easily, so you don't want to get them wet at all.

Call the vet back and ask them about treating mom - I'm not sure how much they can do since the kittens will still be nursing from her. Above all else, DON'T use the over-the-counter flea meds - they can be deadly to cats and especially kittens.

The Dawn method with the flea comb is probably the best thing you can do for the little ones for right now. And vacuum, vacuum, vacuum to keep the fleas from getting too bad around your house! Good luck!
post #6 of 11
my vet told me to gently bathe mine with some non toxic soap....i just bathed her daily till the fleas were gone...i put her by the heater and massaged her with a towel after...then again she was four weeks already..i guess you'll just have to use a comb and wash their bedding regularly maybe??
post #7 of 11
with very young kittens you shouldnt bath them. i dont know where you are but there is a flee spray from the vets called frontline its safe to use on kittens from 4 days old. but only reccomended if the problem is bad this can also be used on mum. but in the mean time i agree with the combing, get a bowl half filled with water with a few drops of soap, swish it around till you get a nice small layer of foam. comb over the kitten and dip the comb into the bowl and DRY the comb before repeating. get a sealable bag and throw away all the towls , sheets etc that the kittens are using and vacuum everywhere, what helps is breaking up a flee comb and putting a piece in the hoover bag and between the cusions of the chairs.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX View Post
with very young kittens you shouldnt bath them. i dont know where you are but there is a flee spray from the vets called frontline its safe to use on kittens from 4 days old. but only reccomended if the problem is bad this can also be used on mum. but in the mean time i agree with the combing, get a bowl half filled with water with a few drops of soap, swish it around till you get a nice small layer of foam. comb over the kitten and dip the comb into the bowl and DRY the comb before repeating. get a sealable bag and throw away all the towls , sheets etc that the kittens are using and vacuum everywhere, what helps is breaking up a flee comb and putting a piece in the hoover bag and between the cusions of the chairs.
Great advice! But I think you mean "breaking up a flea collar" for the vacuum.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
Great advice! But I think you mean "breaking up a flea collar" for the vacuum.
opps thanks
post #10 of 11
Bedding and towels can be thrown in the washer immediately and washed on hot. I would not leave them sitting around waiting for the washer though.

Good luck.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I am not sure about the mom being treated, but if you just treated her right before the birth, she should be alright. To get the fleas off the babies, fill up a bowl with warm water and Dawn antibacterial dish soap. Dip the flea comb in the soapy water and comb over the kittens, might want to comb over mom too just in case, but the flea meds should have treated her. It all depends though, where did you get the meds from that you treated mom with?

Just keep dipping the comb in the water and comb over the babies. You might have to get out tweezers and pick them out.
My first litter was flea ridden and the dawn works awesome. It kills them on contact pretty much. Just run the comb over the kitten, dip it in the dawn mixture till the fleas fall in, dry with a papertowel, and repeat. Be careful since fleas jump that they don't wind up on you. We would comb twice a day, morning and night, and wrap all the bedding and our clothing we had on right into a plastic bag and then immediately wash it, followed by an immediate jump in the shower. The last thing you need is fleas all over your home.
Be very watchful of the flea comb too though because even after you think you've gotten all the fleas themselves, there could still be tons of flea dirt and eggs. Just keep doing it until the comb is completely clean.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care › newborn kittens with fleas