TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Could it be the water??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Could it be the water??

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Lexi is the third cat, (we have five total), UTI problems, although she is the only one that has had to have bladder surgery.

None of these cats are related in any way, except they all live in the same house.

I'm trying to figure out why so manyof them have had trouble. All drink a good amount of water, not excessive but not too little, either. The first two were eating Natural Balance, but are now on Royal Canion SO. Lexi was eating Serengeti, switched from Chicken Soup around March when all the recall problems were coming to light, but has been given the SO canned since yeaterday when she had her surgery.


Our city sends out water analysis every so often, and they are reporting that some minerals are kind of high ( I don't remember what they are). It's been like that for a few years. Could it be the water causing all of these problems? Could it be the food?? Or do I just have cats that have problems?

Your thoughts??
post #2 of 11
Thread Starter 
BTW... I am switching everyone to bottled water to see if this helps.
post #3 of 11
I am by no means an expert, but my cats have always had cold distilled water and with 5 cats, a 5 year old and 4 4 year olds, none have ever had any UTI problems.

And 2 of them will eat dry food only. And one of those will eat nothing but Purina dry.

So water could have something to do with it, but it may not. I have heard that its hereditary and Ive also heard that it can be stress induced.

Its worth try IMO.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, here's the Stupid Question of the Day...

What's the difference between distilled water and bottled drinking water??
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazkitty View Post
Ok, here's the Stupid Question of the Day...

What's the difference between distilled water and bottled drinking water??
Bottled is often mtn or spring water with the minerals nature inteneded... Distilled is water processed to remove impuritys and it also leaches out any mineral content out...

I am not an expert but Water may play a good size role in UTI issues...
post #6 of 11
We use filtered water (Pur) to drink.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazkitty View Post
BTW... I am switching everyone to bottled water to see if this helps.
It can't hurt, certainly worth a try.

I would also feed as much canned food as you can.

Another thing I would do is take a close look at their litterbox arrangements...from their point of view . I would ask myself if there are enough boxes, litter that the cats like, i.e. texture, scent, depth, etc...covered or uncovered, location, size, etc. I don't mean to say that your set up is not good (I don't know what it is ) ...but cats with a history of bladder issues need the most attractive bathroom arrangement possible....if they already have that, that's great.
post #8 of 11
We use bottled water for our cats. I personally would not use distilled water for them.
post #9 of 11
I use a filter for my cats drinking water. We have a good filter attached to the kitchen faucet, so everyone gets filtered water. I don't know whether it makes a difference, but none of my cats have had UTI issues despite eating poor quality dry food for years (before I knew better).
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Ok, the litterbox setup is this...we have five cats, and live in a two story house with a full basement. In the litter room in the basement, we have four very large rubbermaid storage boxes with holes in the sides so they can get in and out. On the main floor, there is one large litterbox just like the ones in the basement. And on the second floor, there is the same (1) in the bathroom.

That's 6...most being in the basement, but all of them are used regularly. To my knowledge, noone holds their urine.

We bought some 'drinking' water today. Is there a difference between that and bottled?

For feeding all wet, i have a couple that refuse to eat canned...despite everything I've tried.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazkitty View Post
Ok, the litterbox setup is this...we have five cats, and live in a two story house with a full basement. In the litter room in the basement, we have four very large rubbermaid storage boxes with holes in the sides so they can get in and out. On the main floor, there is one large litterbox just like the ones in the basement. And on the second floor, there is the same (1) in the bathroom.

That's 6...most being in the basement, but all of them are used regularly. To my knowledge, noone holds their urine.

We bought some 'drinking' water today. Is there a difference between that and bottled?

For feeding all wet, i have a couple that refuse to eat canned...despite everything I've tried.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!
Check to see if the "drinking" water say spring or reverse osmosis or DISTILLED
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Could it be the water??