Food Storage?

isisbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry Food:

How do you store your pets dry food? Do you leave it in the bag? Do you store it in a plastic container? Do you refrigerate it? Is there any harm in refrigerating?

Wet food:

If you are feeding 1 can a day half morning, half evening, how do you store the can till the evening feeding? In refrigerator?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dry food, I use this http://www.petco.com/product/13420/G...ault-Plus.aspx

I keep the majority of their food in the air-tight container, and fill up a big plastic jar with a screw on lid for daily feeding. That way, the lid to the majority of the food doens't get opened too often, and hopefully the food stays fresher longer.

For wet food, I have some plastic wet food lids that go on the opened can, and popped in the refrigerator until used again. I think most cats prefer their food warmed back up to at least room temperature, but my boys have never been that picky about it.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IsisBaby

Dry Food:

How do you store your pets dry food? Do you leave it in the bag? Do you store it in a plastic container? Do you refrigerate it? Is there any harm in refrigerating?

Wet food:

If you are feeding 1 can a day half morning, half evening, how do you store the can till the evening feeding? In refrigerator?
My cat food comes in a tin foil type bad and I have a food storage sealer. So I take out 3 cups put it in a separate container, then I vacuum seal the bag closed and store it in the back of my cabinets.

With wet its gone within 2 days so I store it in the refrigerator once opened. I nuke it in the microwave for 11 secs (on a plate) stir and serve at that feeding.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food, I keep a handfull in a small cup with a lid...lasts me a few days as they just get it for treats. The bag - I push the air out of it and zip it shut. Lately it seems the small size bags are resealable (ziploc type closure).

I've never refrigerated dry food. The only thing that might stop me is moisture...I don't know how it would do in the fridge. It might get soggy?

Wet food, I use the lids that fit on the cans and put the leftovers in the fridge...I use the microwave to heat it for about 10 seconds...unless I'm feeding Leopold - he must have it fresh or cold - not warmed up.
Sometimes I put it one of those little Glad Ware containers if I threw the can away or something.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i use a screw-top container i got at Petco to store the dry food, mostly because Cable will chew the bag open otherwise.
until Firefox, i didn't store canned food at all, because i only feed it once a day, & i split the can between the wet eaters. i also supplement with a homemade food, which i do store in the fridge & heat up in the microwave, & mix it in with the canned wet - that way it's not too hot for them. since i'm adding a heated component, i don't heat up any refrigerated food i store for Firefox - if i still think hers is too cold, i'll add a bit of hot water to it. but it's usually just fine. i have both the large size & mini size plastic lids for the cans - the kitten wet comes in a teeny can, so i had to get a 2nd lid for that.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I store dry food in a bin with an airtight lid. I don't buy bags of food that they won't finish within a week and I do admit that I go thru a lot of food pretty quickly.

In the rare event that I have to store wet food, I put on a plastic lid that fits the can and store it in the fridge. Mine are picky and don't like it cold so I warm it up before serving.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]You can buy these little plastic lids at your local petstore that fit both 3 and 5.5 oz cans. I just refridgrate it, and whenever it's meal time, I zap it in the microwave for 8 seconds (not in the can!
in her dish) and stir it and feed it. For the dry, I just push the air out of it, fold the top, and use a chip clip to keep it that way. If we had ants, I'd store it in an air-tight tupperware container, but we don't have a problem with that.[/font]

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the dry food in the zip lock bag it came in. I've only fed Blossom the kitten pouches so keep any unused in fridge until next meal.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I store the dry food in an air-sealed glass jar (a very BIG glass jar
). I don't have leftover wet food, as I split a can three ways each am and pm, but if I did, yep, I'd use those plastic covers and pop the can in the fridge.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the dry in the bag with a chip clip in a cool dry place
.... ie a closest or secure cupbourd ...

for cans I use the covers ... always have since I buy bigger cans for $$$ reasons .... I use a bit of water mixed to warm it for Zoey ... Kandie liked hers nuked...

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three containers for dry food... one is an old tidy cats litter bucket and the other two are horse supplement buckets. One holds adult cat food, one holds kitten food, and the other holds dog food. They seal up nicely and keep bugs (and cats!) out.

When I open a can, I never have any left to store!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just keep dry food in the bag it came in, with the top folded down and clipped shut to keep air out. I never buy more than about a month's worth.

Wet food gets put into a Gladware container and refrigerated. That makes it easier for me to dish out the right amount per meal. I buy the large cans, and feed only about 1/4 can at a time, so I don't want to just leave it in the can.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IsisBaby

Dry Food:

Wet food:

Dry - we use the 17 lb for storage http://www.containerstore.com/browse...5&PRODID=66205. I know someone who works there and she got it for us for less than $10. We also have an airtight glass jar from Bed Bath & Beyond, similar to this http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=60183 but much bigger for daily feeding.

Wet - Since I do not like to reheat leftover myself (came from big family & never had any leftover every meal), I bought only 3 oz cans to make sure they can finish. Both cats seem to prefer wet food than dry, I think I will get 5.5 next time when it's time to restock.