OMG I'm being interviewed for the news!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a story on the local NBC news last night about the California spay and neuter bill and they had a little bit on incorrect information and saying you could email in to give your views. I had the computer with me, so figured why not? They were showing a few lines of emails people had written in, so I thought it'd be cool if they showed part of my email on tv.

Well I got an email back from the news anchor asking if she could come to my house today and interview me for tonight's news

How funny is that? And they want to do it here so they can get footage of the kitties as well, so Lily won't come out, but Smudge and Stumpy could be famous!

So they're going to be here in an hour so I'm madly running around trying to clean the house...

We'll record it on the DVR, and try to get it on YouTube or something and will post it if it makes the news, and I don't look/sound stupid

Now I'll have to get it into Stumpy's furry little skull that she is NOT allowed to chew the cords of the video camera/microphones.... gawd could you imagine how embarrassing that would be??

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - nothing like a news crew coming to give you a burst of energy, huh?

I hope that you can get it recorded to share it with us!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Wow - nothing like a news crew coming to give you a burst of energy, huh?

I hope that you can get it recorded to share it with us!
I slept badly last night since I slept all day yesterday (I think I got about 4 1/2 - 5 hours sleep), and have also done my back in, and have been walking around in agony all day so far. So my cleaning efforts involve just carrying everything from downstairs to upstairs in small loads.

So I've got bags under my eyes and will be wincing in pain - but that won't stop me from being an international superstar!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! We definitely want to see the video! I would also be interested in reading the message you sent to prompt the interview if you don't mind sharing.

well done!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope they play it down here, but they probably won't. Please put it on YouTube, even if you think you think you look or sound stupid. Chances are, no one else will.

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could always try to slip in a little advertising for thecatsite.com.. nothing like a little shameless promotion!

"Well, me and my friends at thecatsite.com's forums believe that.."

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

That's great! We definitely want to see the video! I would also be interested in reading the message you sent to prompt the interview if you don't mind sharing.

well done!
Sure, here it is:

I volunteer at a local animal shelter and I see the many litters who come in because people don't spay and neuter their pets. They don't realise how young animals can breed, they don't realise that animals don't NEED to breed and they don't realise there is low cost options available for spay and neutering their pets.

I also run a trap-neuter-return program for feral cats which are a big problem. People are saying that this bill won't fix this problem - it WILL!! Feral cats are only a generation or two away from domesticated cats. People let their cats breed, those kittens run wild, they breed, and within 6 months that one domesticated cat has 30 odd "grandchildren" that are feral. Not only this, but there isn't enough low cost or free spay and neuter programs around - this bill will help fix this problem. It is supposed to provide mobile free/low cost spay and neuter clinics to go through the low income neighbourhoods educating and spay and neutering pets for those who can't afford it otherwise.

Unfortunately there's too many good people who just don't understand the consequences of not spay and neutering their pets. And even more unfortunately, the main people against this bill are the very vocal dog breeders and owners of agility dogs who are a very small minority of the pet owning population because even though they get exemptions, it would cost them more money. There's nobody with a financial interest in spay and neutering the cats and dogs who actually NEED it.
Ok, downstairs is clean, and Stumpy has had a talking to. Maybe I'll wear her out with a laser pointer as well...

I *think* it's supposed to be on the 5 o'clock news tonight. I'll ask them when they get here.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I *think* it's supposed to be on the 5 o'clock news tonight. I'll ask them when they get here.
Oh that's great! let us know!
I want to watch it!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add, be careful what you say and how you say it. They'll likely only show a few seconds and you certainly wouldn't want it to be interpreted wrong.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was such a great article u wrote them
That is so great that they are going to interview u in ur home with the kits
! And like others have said u better find a way to get it on you tube
U are just so wonderful, and that is just so great...please keep us updated on everything

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok done

The cameraman and reporter were both animal people which was good
It's being shown at 6pm tonight so I'll be sure to record it and see what we can do with it.

And as it turned out, Smudge was the one to try and chew through my mic cable, not Stumpy...