Just Had Cat Shaved -- Question

persian_bella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took our Persian cat, Bella, to the groomer this morning for the first time. She doesn't like to be brushed, so we had a hard time keeping up with all the knots in her hair. The groomers ended up shaving her, because it was too difficult to keep her still for a brushing. Wow, were the kids shocked when we picked her up! We couldn't believe how little she was without all the fur, but the funny thing is that she has a very saggy belly. She's never been pregnant, is not quite two years old, and has been spayed. Why would her stomach sag? I always thought it only happened to cats after having babies.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is called "spay sway" and it very common - it happens to boy cats, too.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It is called "spay sway" and it very common - it happens to boy cats, too.
oooh..i wish i could use "spay sway" as my excuse *wink*

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the best explanations I've heard is that it's the pouch where a kitty would store protective belly fat. If you've seen a serious cat fight, they often go belly up and rabbit kick at each other.

The belly is the only area where they don't have bone or thicker fur to protect, so they grow a fat pouch to protect it.

My boy kitty has it too and I'm sure he's never been pregnant

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You haven't seen spay sway until you've checked out our boy Bijou. When the vet held him up last week his comment was something to the effect that he expected our male, neutered Bijou would give birth soon.
Needless to say, Bijou is now on different food to hopefully get rid of some of the excess.