Something is not right.... what do you all think?

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings,

I just registered and I thought I would share what is going on with my cat. Before I begin, she is scheduled to visit the vet tomorrow.
Approximately two weeks ago my 8 year old female cat threw up about 4 or 5 times over about a 16 hour period. She has been on Hills Science Diet K/D (low protein, low phosphorus) for most of her life because he had chronic kidney stones when she was young. No signs of reoccurring stones. Anyway, after she threw up she didn't touch her food for several days. She would eat treats but not her dry food. I switched her dry food to another brand (that serves the same purpose). She ate a little of it but not much. Well, things have gotten worse they seem, as she has not ate in at least 3 days. SHE IS DRINKING so thats a plus. When she was nibbling here and there she did have a bowel movement.

No recent throw ups, just not eating and she has lost weight. She is aggressive and I'm worried the vet will have a hard time dealing with her. She has to be weak and they may have to put her to sleep in order to fully examine her. Diabetes is on my mind and I was wondering if it would be hard to treat her with her kidney problem. I only have a very little selection of food to choose from due to her problem. Any thoughts??

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both diabetes and hyperthyroidism are possibilities--blood tests will tell you for sure. The vomiting could be a side effect of the kidney problem if it has progressed. Sometimes they end up with acid reflux. Is she taking anything for that, like Pepcid AC?

Regardless, the not eating means she needs to see a vet ASAP.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to see a vet asap, not eating can cause liver issues. Good luck with her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, well our baby has suspected kidney failure. Blood results are due tomorrow.
X-rays showed a shrunken left kidney to almost nothing. Right kidney has stones and she has a stone in the tube leading to the kidney. My vet said the stones are stuck.
I am at a loss as to what to do. I tempted to find out if the stones can be removed to to baby the one good kidney for as long as we can. I'm willing to treat the CRF but what about the stones? All the literature I have been reading doesn't mention CRF with kidney stones. Anyone with experience with this please help.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much experience with CRF though we suspect my cat does have a kidney stone. Hers was found when we did an x-ray during an episode of inappetance. In her case, there wasn't any treatment available as the stone is in the main part of her kidney. Fortunately, it hasn't changed over the past 8 months.

The feline CRF website does have a little bit of information about kidney stones:
http://www.felinecrf.org/causes_of_c...s_obstructions

These sites briefly describe diets to prevent stones, as well as suggesting surgery or lithotripsy to remove/destroy them. I don't know how common either method is or how successful:
http://www.istormcats.com/feline/kid...es.asp?key=183
http://www.fleascontrol.com/cat-kidney-stones.htm
http://courses.vetmed.wsu.edu/vm552/...tm#Nephroliths

This is from a university that performs lithotripsy on cats for stones blocking the ureter:
http://www.vet.utk.edu/clinical/sacs/lithotripsy/feline

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've been given a lot of useful info. I can't add any more. Good luck with her & let us know how she goes.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have any experience, but i would have a chat with your vet, ask her what she would do if it was her cat, and also what the prognosis is if you operate, and if you dont, to try and work out if it would be worth putting her through the pain of surgery. good luck.

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate the replies. I'm so stressed right now. I'm worried I have no options because of the stone in her ureter.

A little off topic, I want to give her chicken broth, however all the broth I can find has either onion powder or onion juice concentrate. Even the organic chicken broth. I've read to stay away from onion, will the trace of onion in the broth be harmful?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about making your own chicken broth? Just boil some chicken, preferably with some fat on it and give her the juice.

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

How about making your own chicken broth? Just boil some chicken, preferably with some fat on it and give her the juice.
I did
, but I was wondering at times the canned stuff could be used.

caitscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this doesn't have any thing to do with her kidneys BUT it is possible that she may have a hair ball lodged in her intestines which would explain her not eating, vomiting, and losing weight. A vet can eaisly determine this by doing a quick examination and apparently it is pretty common.
Does she have a long coat? Does she clean herself often?

Just a suggestion... I know that when a cat has the symptoms your cat is experienceing that is one of the first things a vet will check.

You may ask why a hair ball would cause all this trouble...
If a hair ball is lodged in her intestine, she won't be able to eat and pass her food naturally so she will throw it up because that is the only way for it to come out. Which means... she will lose weight. Your cat probably knows that if she eats this will happen, not to mention she probably isn't feeling well because of it. That is probably why she isn't eating her food. You mentioned that she hasn't had a bowel movment... the food she eats wouldn't be able to pass the hairball which means no bowel movment only vomiting.

Best of luck to you
Caitlin

just1cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I'll address caitscats - I'm assuming the vet would have picked up on a hairball in the X-rays and he didn't mention it. She seems to be eating a *little* more as of late last night.

Ok, blood tests were not good.

Two waste products in the blood (Toxins)
Urea Nitrogen: 159 Normal: 14-36
Creatinine: 11.6 Normal: 0.6-2.4
BUN/Creatinine Ratio: 14 Normal: 4-33
Phosphorus: 13.1 Normal: 2.4 -8.2

The only good thing the vet said out of this is she is not anemic. I came home with sub-Q fluids. I do not know how she will tolerate the fluids. She is aggressive, especially with the vet. Any major examination and she has to be sedated. She allows me to do more things to her, but I never stuck her with an 18 gauge needle before. The toxins are so high she needs the fluids

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by just1cat

First I'll address caitscats - I'm assuming the vet would have picked up on a hairball in the X-rays and he didn't mention it. She seems to be eating a *little* more as of late last night.

Ok, blood tests were not good.

Two waste products in the blood (Toxins)
Urea Nitrogen: 159 Normal: 14-36
Creatinine: 11.6 Normal: 0.6-2.4
BUN/Creatinine Ratio: 14 Normal: 4-33
Phosphorus: 13.1 Normal: 2.4 -8.2

The only good thing the vet said out of this is she is not anemic. I came home with sub-Q fluids. I do not know how she will tolerate the fluids. She is aggressive, especially with the vet. Any major examination and she has to be sedated. She allows me to do more things to her, but I never stuck her with an 18 gauge needle before. The toxins are so high she needs the fluids
Hi, just got time to come see if you had an update. I am sorry the news was not good.
1: no, you can not used a canned chicken broth, since even if it doesn't list garlic or onions, the term "natural flavors" can mean either. It is simple to make your own and you can freeze some in an ice cube tray, to easily take out 1 or 2 at a time for thawing and use.

I strongly suggest you see about getting Terumo Ultra Thin Wall needles in a different gauge...Patrick tolerated these much better and they are easier to insert. I think (i'd have to go check) I was using a 20 gauge.

With that phos level, your kitty needs a phosphorous binder (which is discussed on the website I pm'd you about, which also have info on giving sub-qs, and needles - specifically does recommend the terumo's, many good links off this section of the site).

You may want to read over the stories of success - both on cats with high numbers that reduced after treatment and those with high numbers that did not: http://www.felinecrf.org/success_stories.htm
I strongly encourage that you keep in mind to treat your kitty, not the numbers, meaning simply that as long as she's fiesty, and has a quality of life, I'd not let a high set of numbers be the deciding factor in whether or not to continue treatment.

Many here have dealt with crf and can be supportive, but you would also be well served to join one of the excellent support groups (two are listed in the initial messages in the crf thread that is a sticky at the top of this forum).