Cool new job opportunity, one big problem...

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I applied for a job at a prestigious state operated high school for the smartest kids in the state. Basically students with the highest GPAs in high school are asked to come to this school for the last 2 years of high school. They live there in dorms just like in college. And just like in college they have RA positions, although they hire outside of the student population obviously. So this job would be kind of like a paid RA position plus you teach a class on "life skills"...you know...cooking, cleaning, teh sex (seriously)...but it would be a killer job I think. You get to live for free, eat for free, free internet and gym, and I'd make more than I make now. So what's the problem? I HAVE A CAT. I haven't been officially offered the position or anything but they have called me back. I haven't asked if I can have a pet there because I feel 99% certain I already know the answer. I guess I need to ask before it gets too far in the process but damn this sucks. My parents have told me to let one of them take my cat but I can't do it. She would be unhappy, I would be unhappy and no job is worth that but I really wish this could work.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, that is unfortunate. Maybe they won't have a problem with the cat? I mean, if you only have ONE and she's well behaved? Maybe? Maybe they'll be so thrilled with your brilliant skills that they're willing to let you have the cat so that they can have you too.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sshhhhh.... Just take the cat there.... don't tell anybody.... if they see it tell them you didn't know.... it could be worse.... you could be smuggling.... alcohol! hehehehe! I hope you get to take your kitty. Our pets make it all worth while!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

sshhhhh.... Just take the cat there.... don't tell anybody.... if they see it tell them you didn't know.... it could be worse.... you could be smuggling.... alcohol! hehehehe! I hope you get to take your kitty. Our pets make it all worth while!

Sneak the furry in

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The University that I attended now has a Professor and his/her family live on the bottom floor of each of the dorms for one to two years at a time. Pets included. It's a great setup for everyone.
It helps eliminate homesickness.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a paid position, they may very well let you have one. Will you be living in suite, or just a normal dorm room? If it's just a dorm room, it wouldn't be fair to you kitty to make her live in such a cramped place. It sounds like a great opportunity, and if it's only for 1 semester, I'm sure you kitty could settle in with your parents for that long. Think of all the great toys and treats you could buy her with the extra money!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like an awesome opportunity, and it's not worth stressing over until you know you've got the job, and whether or not they allow pets.

And honestly, if one of your parents could take your kitty and provide as much love and care as you would, maybe it's not such a bad thing? She's going to have to be relocated anyway, either to where you are, or where your parents are, so if you can't take her, she should be fine, and you know she'll be well taken care of.

Good on you for putting your kitty first though

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In truth, i would not take the job if i could not take the cat.
i had to give up a pet once in my life, and i regetted it ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure on all the details but I'll talk with them tomorrow. If it absolutely came down to the job or the cat, the cat wins, not even a question. It's like she's my kid. I'd feel stupid saying that anywhere else but I know that here you know how I feel.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by phishmarisol

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure on all the details but I'll talk with them tomorrow. If it absolutely came down to the job or the cat, the cat wins, not even a question. It's like she's my kid. I'd feel stupid saying that anywhere else but I know that here you know how I feel.
You are a wonderful pet owner to put your kitty 1st. Hopefully they will respect this and allow her to be the resident cat there!

Personally I think she should get a salary as well - she will help all of those kids with homesickness!

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really hope you are able to bring your kitty! I worked with a fellow that pretty much had the same job and they let him have animals...and he had a rediculous amount...kinda like most of the people on here

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well I hope you get the job and you can take the cat too. I don't think i could go anywhere without my furkids.. just thinking about it makes me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the supervisor today and he said no pets. You get your own "apartment" but it's really just a big dorm room so with the kids on the hall you can't have pets that some people might be allergic to. He said they lost a really good candidate recently over the same issue. I told him I'd think it over and call him back, but there's nothing to think about. Oh well.