Java's lost weight, doesn't seem to be eating...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
last month at the vet's, Java weighed 9.7 pounds. this morning, she weighed 8 pounds, & she looks thin. she acts like she feels just fine, but i don't see her eating. i ended up putting baby food on her paws last night - she wasn't interested in eating it, but she licked it off. i'm off to the grocery store, planning to buy some people tuna & salmon [she LOVES wildside salmon] to try to tempt her. if she's not better by next week, she's coming with me to Firefox's next appointment. but prayers/vibes for eating would be much appreciated, as well as any suggestestions for tempting foods!
thanks!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending vibes that Java starts eating again real soon.

As for other foods, the only thing I can think of besides the tuna and salmon would be chicken.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and Prayers.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Java
Does she do OK with FireFox, or could the stress of a new baby be affecting her?

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Java's lost almost 2 pounds in (what might be) a one month period.

I don't think I would delay having a Vet see her.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, now, Java, your girlish figure is just fine the way it is. You need to stop this diet plan and start eating again, you're worrying your Meowmy.

Many good health and please Java EAT vibes coming your way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
she ate some salmon!i also got some FF to try with her, as well as tuna, sardines, & herring packed in oil.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich

Is she drinking more than usual?
not that i've noticed... she's acting normally, just on the thin side, for her.
Originally Posted by Graciecat

You bought her a real seafood buffet there.
I'm so glad that she ate some salmon, bless her little heart.
yep, i figure anything the inside cats don't eat, i'll give to the ferals. they'll eat anything!
i forgot to add: she's not fond of Firefox, but she pretty much just avoids her. Firefox has learned who will tolerate her kitten play [Cable] & who will not. she's a very smart kitten!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i just tried some salmon FF - no interest... so i mixed in some of the people salmon... still not interested. i smeared a bit on her paws, & she cleaned them, but she didn't want any more. Cable & Chip ate it instead.
i'll try some more, later tonight. i'm going to get a large syringe tomorrow for force-feeding, if necessary. the ones i have are way too small, & will only handle liquids.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
also, she's evidently drinking ok, because she's not dehydrated at all, from what i can tell from a skin pinch. when Mouse was ill, the vet showed me how to pinch the skin to determine dehydration.
oh, & now Firefox has the runs...
so she's getting some anti-diarrheal meds tonight.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The joys of a multi-cat household. I've been there and it does get frustrating when they lose weight. Much was getting thinner over a year but we've now seemed to have plateaued out.

Sending vibes to Java to start eating.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we got our new puppy I noticed Elsa losing weight. She mostly stayed upstairs where the puppy wasn't, and didn't make it to the dinner table often enough for a while. 2 pounds is a lot though.
I hope she starts eating again soon.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm beginning to think that we need to send Much, Java, and Elsa to fat camp to gain some weight.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, NOW I'm having trouble with MY tortie, Tigger, lol. But she's really getting up there in years.